Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 16-04-2011, 06:14 AM
CuriousVagabond

Noetic Science, a mixture.

Hello everyone! In my long search of curious things I've come across this institute of Noetic Science. I believe this section of the forum is perfect for it. One day I plan to attend this school if my path leads me in such a way, because to me, it is one of the most fascinating schools I could ever hope to become a part of.

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality." -Carl Sagan

This is a description of the school from it's official website.

"For centuries, philosophers from Plato forward have used the term noetic to refer to experiences that pioneering psychologist William James (1902) described as:

…states of insight into depths of truth unplumbed by the discursive intellect. They are illuminations, revelations, full of significance and importance, all inarticulate though they remain; and as a rule they carry with them a curious sense of authority.

The term noetic sciences was first coined in 1973 when the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) was founded by Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell, who two years earlier became the sixth man to walk on the moon. Ironically, it was the trip back home that Mitchell recalls most, during which he felt a profound sense of universal connectedness—what he later described as a samadhi experience. In Mitchell’s own words, “The presence of divinity became almost palpable, and I knew that life in the universe was not just an accident based on random processes. . . .The knowledge came to me directly.”

It led him to conclude that reality is more complex, subtle, and mysterious than conventional science had led him to believe. Perhaps a deeper understanding of consciousness (inner space) could lead to a new and expanded understanding of reality in which objective and subjective, outer and inner, are understood as co-equal aspects of the miracle of being. It was this intersection of knowledge systems that led Dr. Mitchell to launch the interdisciplinary field of noetic sciences."

I just thought I'd share. Hope you enjoy!
Old 20-04-2011, 08:49 PM
unus supra

question

is this actually a university? because im looking at going to school
and if this is for real ie, i can get a degree and all that jazz that
would be great

thanks

kavon
Old 21-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousVagabond
Hello everyone! In my long search of curious things I've come across this institute of Noetic Science. I believe this section of the forum is perfect for it. One day I plan to attend this school if my path leads me in such a way, because to me, it is one of the most fascinating schools I could ever hope to become a part of.

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality." -Carl Sagan

This is a description of the school from it's official website.

"For centuries, philosophers from Plato forward have used the term noetic to refer to experiences that pioneering psychologist William James (1902) described as:

…states of insight into depths of truth unplumbed by the discursive intellect. They are illuminations, revelations, full of significance and importance, all inarticulate though they remain; and as a rule they carry with them a curious sense of authority.

The term noetic sciences was first coined in 1973 when the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) was founded by Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell, who two years earlier became the sixth man to walk on the moon. Ironically, it was the trip back home that Mitchell recalls most, during which he felt a profound sense of universal connectedness—what he later described as a samadhi experience. In Mitchell’s own words, “The presence of divinity became almost palpable, and I knew that life in the universe was not just an accident based on random processes. . . .The knowledge came to me directly.”

It led him to conclude that reality is more complex, subtle, and mysterious than conventional science had led him to believe. Perhaps a deeper understanding of consciousness (inner space) could lead to a new and expanded understanding of reality in which objective and subjective, outer and inner, are understood as co-equal aspects of the miracle of being. It was this intersection of knowledge systems that led Dr. Mitchell to launch the interdisciplinary field of noetic sciences."

I just thought I'd share. Hope you enjoy!
Sounds suspicious. Do they teach classes in their basement and xerox degrees onto office paper?
Old 23-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Ascender

Where did you hear about this?
Old 29-04-2011, 02:20 AM
CuriousVagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by unus supra
is this actually a university? because im looking at going to school
and if this is for real ie, i can get a degree and all that jazz that
would be great

thanks

kavon

They have an official website for the institute.
http://www.noetic.org/
It is an actual university, as far as I know. The only 2 negatives that I have on the school is money and the fact that the only school for it in the US is in California(far from home). They do offer grants and awards though.
Old 29-04-2011, 02:21 AM
CuriousVagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
Sounds suspicious. Do they teach classes in their basement and xerox degrees onto office paper?

Hahaha, no. The link to their website is here: http://www.noetic.org/
Old 29-04-2011, 02:23 AM
CuriousVagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVirgoxoxo
Where did you hear about this?

I'm not exactly sure how I ran across it, as any time I'm researching things online, occasionally I'll run across something interesting enough to stay on my mind. The official website is here, if you'd like to check it out: http://www.noetic.org/
Old 30-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Ascender

Thanks for sharing the link!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:00 AM
CuriousVagabond

:) No problem.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Prokopton

IONS is a very well respected place and does important work in a number of areas. Some very high-powered people are associated with it, most obviously perhaps their senior scientist is Dean Radin. (Excellent parapsychologist, some good talks on YouTube by him.)

Post about your studies here if you'd like, I for one would be interested.