Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 10-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Sungirl

self development from a coveners viewpoint?

I wanted to ask the opinion specifically of those that have taken a lineaged coven route for their spirituality.

I have a friend who has chosen to go down the coven route and has been doing so for approx 4 years. I totally respect her choice however I wonder what she has been taught about self development.

I am a solitary pagan but I have also included a lot of lightwork in my path such as training in crystal healing and bach remedies and reading writers such as Shakti Gawain and Louise L Hay. I have found this aspect of my path very helpful when going through traumatic times in my life.

I realise people can't speak about specifics and it is hard to know what other covens do but I was wondering what tools she has been taught to deal with a particularly difficult time in her life.

She doesn't appear to be able to step out of the situation or work with her spirituality to help her see that there are things she can do to help herself.

I know that part of the coven style teaching is "to know" as in to know thyself but is there more to it than that?

I am going to try and talk to her and I am going to lend her some books that are more light worker orientated to see if they help....
Old 12-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Sungirl

guess not then.....
Old 12-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Animus27

First of all, I am not a member of any kind of "coven" nor do I desire to be.

But to me it sounds like you're worried that she might not be getting the kind of info she might need?

There is no standard 'coven', some are very well organized groups of neo-pagans or Wiccans, and some are poorly put together pseudo-mystery religions with unstable people leading them. I won't pretend to have any idea about what sort hers is.

Just talk to her and share your beliefs, she might learn something from you, and you might learn something from her.

And btw, I'm sorry if I missed the mark with this post. I am just throwing out random statements, pretty much! lol
Old 13-02-2011, 02:07 AM
nightowl

Tilia,

I certainly can understood your concern for your friend. We always want the best for our friends. I am not a witch but I do understand the concept of group verses solitary practices. I have experienced both and they both have their pros and cons. Personal spiritual development can be different from one person to the next. Your friend may just need the group setting at this point in her development. I agree with Animus27, share your insights and suggestions with the hope of helping each other grow. There are times in our journey where if our spirit is ready to receive a certain teaching or insight it will, but if we are not ready, well we are just not ready. I wish you the best...

nightowl
Old 13-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Master
Tilia, I have kept quiet on this as you asked for advice from lineaged, coven members. The lack of response should show you that, in the UK at least, the coven idea is pretty well dead and buried. Although not wiccan [ I have moved back to a more primitive path], I am a moderator in a Wiccan Forum and, to the best of my knowledge, there are no such members as you describe. Self-declared solitaries are the norm in the UK. However, some solitaries are members of Working Groups who get together for joint projects and "social" needs. You are a bit coy about which path your friend is following but it does sound like wicca. Dont forget that Wicca in it's present form has only existed since the 1950's and the lineaged coven system was an add-on grafted in by Gardner from the esoteric orders.
I have had many battles over the years with so-called lineaged coven wiccans and I suggest that you leave well alone if you wish to maintain your friendship.
Old 13-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Sungirl

Hi Norseman

I can assure you that there are plenty of UK covens out there but they do keep themselves to themselves. I run a group for pagans in my area and there are at least 4 members (out of approx 60) that are or have been in covens.

My friend is in a coven that has at least 3 generations, which to me gives them a "lineage".. not an old one granted, but still a lineage that would mean that (as far as I understand it) they follow a path that, to a certain degree, is laid out with common teachings and philosophies. I think it is loosely wiccan but I am pretty sure they don't consider themselves wiccan.

I have decided I am going to try and talk to her and see what she has been taught along these lines. She really is in a bad place at the moment and I believe she could really do with some of the tools I was given that got me through a really bad time.

I have sent her audio books of "You can heal your life" by Louise L Hay and "Feel the fear and do it anyway" by Susan Jeffers. I am also going to send her "Creative visualisation" and "living in the light" by Shakti Gawain.

The hardest part is actually getting her to speak to me!! She is very much avoiding talking about the situation.
Old 13-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Master
In the wiccan forum I am in, there are a few EX-coven members, including HPS.
IMO your path is not something to be taught, it is something you learn through experience. But I hope it all works out for you and your friend.
Old 13-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Sungirl

Animus 27.... I have met 2 out of the other 3 that I know of that are in this coven and they are good people that care about my friend very much. I trust them to not miss lead or abuse her.. but I don't know what they know about self development.

I am hoping to get to speak to her on weds and I'll try and talk to her about this. I know she has done some "shadow work" but as useful as this is, it's not enough to get you through a bad time.

Norseman... I agree that we all have to learn our own path but we all learn from others either formally or informally. We can only learn from our surroundings... the only way we don't is if we are either completely self centred, not looking to learn or living on a deserted island with no other people around us.... she is none of those.