Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 06-02-2020, 06:05 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
As you Posted previously, names are not important. Names are worldly, God is Spirit. Individuals need to label things to be able to converse with each other regarding their personal experiences....

The Tao that can be named is not the real Tao....

You forgot to add....."names are not important TO ME."

To some the name of God is important.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:32 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza

AM
Master

In the two books of Kings, the people had fallen away from knowing Yahweh and were at one time worshiping the wrong Gods! The issue had to do with "God's name is not important".

Maybe to those who believe there are more than one God to worship

What is God's name?
Old 07-02-2020, 02:02 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza

God's name is very important.

In the Hebrew Bible, the name of God is the number one name mentioned in the Bible.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:10 AM
Master
Also it should be noted:

In the Talmud - Mas. Yoma 35b, it reads:

" AS IT IS WRITTEN IN THE TORAH OF MOSES THY SERVANT: FOR ON THIS DAY SHALL ATONEMENT BE MADE FOR YOU [TO CLEANSE YOU; FROM ALL YOUR SINS SHALL YE BE CLEAN BEFORE THE LORD]. AND THEY ANSWERED AFTER HIM: BLESSED BE THE NAME OF HIS GLORIOUS KINGDOM FOR EVER AND EVER!"

The footnote has an interesting note It reads:

"The priests and the people who stood in the Temple court and who, on hearing him pronounce the ineffable Name of God, prostrated themselves."

Which claims the Name of God was spoken by the Jews.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:49 AM
Master
God's Name.

Yes, God has a personal name. When Moses was going up to the mount to see the burning bush, he encountered God. Let's take a look at what the Bible says happened.

"Then Moses said to God, 'Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I shall say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you.' Now they may say to me, 'What is His name?' What shall I say to them?' 14 And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM'; and He said, 'Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you,'' (Exodus 3:13-14).

As you can see, God declares His own name to be 'I AM.' However, some people say that the name of God is Jehovah or Yahweh. The reason this is said is that in Hebrew (the book of Exodus was written in Hebrew), the word for 'I AM' is אֶהְיֶה which is YHWH. These four letters are known as the Tetragrammaton. This is why a lot of English translations will say that the name of God is Jehovah or Yahweh. It is an English styled version of those four letters.

Nevertheless, God's name is 'I AM.' It is His personal name.

The name of God reflects His character, His existence, His Majesty, etc. Those of us who speak English don't really understand the sense in which the names used in Scripture carry meaning. One of the best ways we can understand this concept is with American Indians. They would have names like "Running Bear, " "Flying Hawk," etc. The names had a kind of signification that was supposed to represent, in one form or another, the character of the person. The same concept is applicable in Scripture where the names of people have meaning. For example, Noah means "hope, peace." Methuselah means "when he dies it will come." The Scripture is full of such types of names that have meaning.

Other "Names" of God
The Bible uses other titles and names for God, not in the proper name sense of "I Am." Some of the other names and titles of God are:

El Shaddai--"God Almighty" This title first occurs in Genesis 17:1 where God is renewing His covenant with Abraham.
El Elyon "God is Exalted" or "God most High" This title first occurs in Genesis 14:18-21 in the encounter between Abraham and Melchizedek. See also Deuteronomy 26:19; 2 Chronicles 7:21.
El Olam "The Everlasting God" This title first occurs in Genesis 21:33.
El Gibbor "God is Mighty"
The Ancient of Days is found in Daniel 7:9, 13, 22
The Living God is mentioned in 1 Samuel 17:26; Isaiah 37:17; Psalm 42:2; Jeremiah 10:10
The Lord God is used in Revelation 1:8; 22:5
The Lord God Almighty is used in Psalm 89:8
The Lord Most High is used in Psalm 7:17
Etc : https://carm.org/does-god-have-a-name
Old 08-02-2020, 03:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Also it should be noted:

In the Talmud - Mas. Yoma 35b, it reads:

" AS IT IS WRITTEN IN THE TORAH OF MOSES THY SERVANT: FOR ON THIS DAY SHALL ATONEMENT BE MADE FOR YOU [TO CLEANSE YOU; FROM ALL YOUR SINS SHALL YE BE CLEAN BEFORE THE LORD]. AND THEY ANSWERED AFTER HIM: BLESSED BE THE NAME OF HIS GLORIOUS KINGDOM FOR EVER AND EVER!"

The footnote has an interesting note It reads:

"The priests and the people who stood in the Temple court and who, on hearing him pronounce the ineffable Name of God, prostrated themselves."

Which claims the Name of God was spoken by the Jews.

The ineffable Name of God, spoken of, was the name used in Exodus 6:3 which reads:

"I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name the LORD I did not make myself fully known to them."

In Hebrew, God Almighty is בְּאֵ֣ל שַׁדָּ֑י which gets transliterated as bə·’êl šad·day.

In Hebrew, LORD is יְהוָ֔ה which gets transliterated as something like Yehovah. NOTE: this word definitely does not get translated as I AM. This can be easily proven by simply looking at the word in Hebrew.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:07 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
The ineffable Name of God, spoken of, was the name used in Exodus 6:3 which reads:

"I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name the LORD I did not make myself fully known to them."

In Hebrew, God Almighty is בְּאֵ֣ל שַׁדָּ֑י which gets transliterated as bə·’êl šad·day.

In Hebrew, LORD is יְהוָ֔ה which gets transliterated as something like Yehovah. NOTE: this word definitely does not get translated as I AM. This can be easily proven by simply looking at the word in Hebrew.
Who claims that Jews never used the name of G-d. Certainly not Jews.

b’El Shaddai does not mean “G-d Almighty”, it means “as G-d Almighty.” “b’” is a preposition.

You are correct that the Tetragrammaton isn’t translated as “I Am.” It can’t be. It’s a third person singular form of the verb “to be.” It should not be transliterated as Yehovah since the vowel commonly printed with it, when vowels are provided, do not go with it.