Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 07-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Master
123... I'm thinking that if you want a system of eating and lifestyle that supports you and your spiritual growth - which are the same - you might find Ayurveda a good way to go. With this you find out your body-mind-energy type and simply follow the recommendations.

Here's a website about it with tests to determine your body type, with dietary and other recommendations.

http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/ayurveda_find_your_body_type.asp

Xan

Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Bluegreen

A spiritual path may activate Kundalini which can be a very unpleasant process because Kundalini removes blockages, both physical and emotional ones. In order to make the experience as smooth as possible the advice I came across is to cleanse body and mind the purpose of which, I think, is to remove or reduce blockages. The type of food eaten may aid the process.
"...when the body is weak [through fasting--BG] it is easier for the spirit to shine through it..." (Life of Carola by Joan Grant). I am not advocating fasting.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Seeker

Sri Ramana Maharshi suggest us to take Satvic food in enough quantity and eat just as much as needed.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 AM
midnightrose

i also read that hindus should not eat red foods?? why is that? i couldnt find any specific reasons, now i'm italian that means i could never eat tomato sauce again :O!!! of course i could manage without it but tomatos have really good vitamins...but i have seen plenty of red indian foods? also no gralic and onion? :'( mmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!
Old 18-04-2013, 01:53 AM
Master

im a Hindu midnight rose and Ive never heard that.
Tomatoes rule:) Tomatoes are an essential part of most Indian/Hindu cooking today.
Italian food esp the vegetarian arrabiata sauce based dishes are immensely popular in India. Garlic and onion are forbidden only during days of fasting, and by some communities.
Old 18-04-2013, 01:54 AM
Master

As for toamto sauce (commercial), Indian kids have it with everything including pizza!
Old 17-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Experiencer

negative emotions

It has been said that eating the flesh of an animal lowers your vibration because in most cases, such as in factory farms, the animal releases fear, and then we consume the fear ane negative energy. Factory farms is the true evil of the world.
Old 29-06-2013, 02:38 PM
kumarjitghoshal

Not harming animal is no doubt is a greater virtue , but one must understand what "AHARSUDDHI" is!
Ahar is lucidly means foods and Suddhi is sanctity ...... but AHAR is not only what we take as food through means of eating.
IF we go through in depth study of Sanskrit Gramatical meaning of AHAR ..... it not only means food that we eat ...... IT means whatever we swallow through our senses.
our physical body is nothing but a collection of food materials , and our mind also as a processing and directing authority of the senses is mostly comprises of what thoughts we let in through our senses.
IF a man is Vegetarian and possesses all inhuman qualities , his vegetarian habit is of no use for spiritual progress.
There is a story of Yogiraj Shyamacharan Lahiri ..... once he was invited by a disciple ..... when he went there ..... he was served many delicious foods including 3 to 4 types of fish preparations..... well ....he started eating ...... the disciple was very delighted and was offering more of fish preparation saying "Guruji take this more , i know you will like it , my mother cooked all for you with much devotion" ..... suddenly Yogiraj jumped up and said ...."what have you done .... you gave me fish! don't you know i am vegetarian ! " ...... the disciple was astonished and ashamed and said " but ...guruji i have seen you to eat fish other day at another occasion !"
"Never " Said Shyamacharan Lahiri ..... "I Never took any non-veg food" ... saying this he went away.
The disciple went to another senior disciple of Yogiraj and told him everything what happened and that he is feeling so bad about himself and about the lies of Guruji ...he could not understood the whole thing! The senoir Disciple said ..." Guruji's always stays diluted in Bhramhananda , in pure consciousness ...... everything , every particle is living for him ,..... he went to your home to satisfy your need to serve him , if you didn't mentioned what he was eating ..... he might not have noticed , but as you dragged down to material senses , he left to make you understand , Vegetarian food is only divine food till one is enjoying foods through senses"

Bhrambha Parnang Bhrambha Hobi Bhrambhagnou Hutam
Bhrambhibha Tena Gantabya , Bhrambha Karma Samadhina - Rig Veda

- who is eating is Bhrambha , What is eating is Bhrambha , the food will go to bhrambha , so the whole work is a Karma or action of Bhrambha.
BUT - we are not diluted in supreme consciousness , we act with attachment with our senses. SO,What ever we swallow through senses , it is the offering to the supreme being inside us to use it to sustain the body and mind to function in proper way for the higher purpose of our existence ..... so we must be cautious about what we are offering , we have to preserve the sanctity of the body temple , through proper kind of diet , vision , hearing , smelling , touching..... a purity all over is really helpful till we are like the Junior disciple of Yogiraj as in the story.
Old 18-10-2013, 09:14 PM
BVG Janaka das

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123music
Few people say non-vegetarian food or any food which creates negative mental imbalance is a not a choice for spiritual practitioners. Is this true?

By my personal experiences I can share, that food give not only some impact - food give tremendous impact in Spiritual Life

BG 17.8: Foods dear to those in the mode of goodness increase the duration of life, purify one's existence and give strength, health, happiness and satisfaction. Such foods are juicy, fatty, wholesome, and pleasing to the heart.

BG 17.9: Foods that are too bitter, too sour, salty, hot, pungent, dry and burning are dear to those in the mode of passion. Such foods cause distress, misery and disease.

BG 17.10: Food prepared more than three hours before being eaten, food that is tasteless, decomposed and putrid, and food consisting of remnants and untouchable things is dear to those in the mode of darkness.

PURPORT
The purpose of food is to increase the duration of life, purify the mind and aid bodily strength. This is its only purpose. In the past, great authorities selected those foods that best aid health and increase life's duration, such as milk products, sugar, rice, wheat, fruits and vegetables. These foods are very dear to those in the mode of goodness. Some other foods, such as baked corn and molasses, while not very palatable in themselves, can be made pleasant when mixed with milk or other foods. They are then in the mode of goodness. All these foods are pure by nature. They are quite distinct from untouchable things like meat and liquor. Fatty foods, as mentioned in the eighth verse, have no connection with animal fat obtained by slaughter. Animal fat is available in the form of milk, which is the most wonderful of all foods. Milk, butter, cheese and similar products give animal fat in a form which rules out any need for the killing of innocent creatures. It is only through brute mentality that this killing goes on. The civilized method of obtaining needed fat is by milk. Slaughter is the way of subhumans. Protein is amply available through split peas, dāl, whole wheat, etc.

Foods in the mode of passion, which are bitter, too salty, or too hot or overly mixed with red pepper, cause misery by reducing the mucus in the stomach, leading to disease. Foods in the mode of ignorance or darkness are essentially those that are not fresh. Any food cooked more than three hours before it is eaten (except prasādam, food offered to the Lord) is considered to be in the mode of darkness. Because they are decomposing, such foods give a bad odor, which often attracts people in this mode but repulses those in the mode of goodness.

Remnants of food may be eaten only when they are part of a meal that was first offered to the Supreme Lord or first eaten by saintly persons, especially the spiritual master. Otherwise the remnants of food are considered to be in the mode of darkness, and they increase infection or disease. Such foodstuffs, although very palatable to persons in the mode of darkness, are neither liked nor even touched by those in the mode of goodness. The best food is the remnants of what is offered to the Supreme Personality of Godhead. In Bhagavad-gītā the Supreme Lord says that He accepts preparations of vegetables, flour and milk when offered with devotion. Patraḿ puṣpaḿ phalaḿ toyam. Of course, devotion and love are the chief things which the Supreme Personality of Godhead accepts. But it is also mentioned that the prasādam should be prepared in a particular way. Any food prepared by the injunctions of the scripture and offered to the Supreme Personality of Godhead can be taken even if prepared long, long ago, because such food is transcendental. Therefore to make food antiseptic, eatable and palatable for all persons, one should offer food to the Supreme Personality of Godhead.