Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 13-05-2015, 04:29 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by celest
From what I understand Serrao yes. Incarnation is chosen ( Bodhisattvas ) to help others
Those Bodhisattvas really have a good heart.

Quote:
us regular people are reborn ( I don't believe in reincarnation ) until we pay our karmic debt.
What is the difference between being reborn and reincarnation?
Is rebirth Buddhism and reincarnation Hinduism?
Old 13-05-2015, 04:55 PM
celest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrao
Those Bodhisattvas really have a good heart.

What is the difference between being reborn and reincarnation?
Is rebirth Buddhism and reincarnation Hinduism?

Rebirth is Buddhist beliefs, It's the candle story again
You light one candle from another, there different flames but are part of each other, one doesn't exist without the other, a part of you is reborn as a different individual.

Reincarnation is believe by many cultures. It involves the same soul born into another body. Buddhists don't believe in a soul.

Hope you understand my ramblings
Old 13-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Suspended
Master

I think there is truth in both Buddhism and Christianity though they use different concepts and symbols and words to say the same things.

Many christian monks have been drawn to eastern teachings such as Thomas Merton and Father Bede Griffith.

The Dalai Lama, Bede Griffiths & Meath Conlan

Quote:
“And I believe that by openness to Buddhism, to Hinduism, and to these great Asian traditions, we stand a wonderful chance of learning more about the potentiality of our own traditions, because they have gone, from the natural point of view, so much deeper into this than we have.” (Quote by Merton from the book, Lost Christianity by Jacob Needleman)

Eastern and Western monks visit each other for discourse.

Old 13-05-2015, 07:50 PM
celest

Lovely pics. RyanWind, thanks for sharing them. Thats what we need in this world, understanding and uniting different religions and beliefs even if we don't agree with them. Respect each other regardless of who you worship. Love is the way to go not hate.
Old 13-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Master

Quote:
Rebirth is Buddhist beliefs, It's the candle story again
You light one candle from another, there different flames but are part of each other, one doesn't exist without the other, a part of you is reborn as a different individual.
What exactly is this "part of you"?
Did Buddha explained or described this?

Quote:
Reincarnation is believe by many cultures. It involves the same soul born into another body. Buddhists don't believe in a soul.
Could it be that "the part of you" that is being reborn, which Buddhism mention, is in fact called "the soul" in other philosophies?

Quote:
Hope you understand my ramblings
Very interesting ramblings. Thanks for the conversation.
Old 14-05-2015, 06:38 AM
celest

[quote=Serrao]What exactly is this "part of you"?
Did Buddha explained or described this?

Could it be that "the part of you" that is being reborn, which Buddhism mention, is in fact called "the soul" in other philosophies?

Very interesting ramblings. Thanks for the conversation. [/

QUOTE]

' Part of you ' is the consciousness, I call it the spirit. The consciousness in the new person is neither identical nor entirely different ( the candle flames lights one from the other ) from the deceased but both form a continuuem.
Old 14-05-2015, 08:42 AM
Master

Quote:
' Part of you ' is the consciousness, I call it the spirit. The consciousness in the new person is neither identical nor entirely different ( the candle flames lights one from the other ) from the deceased but both form a continuuem.
This reminds me of verse 15.8 of the Bhagavad Gita:
The living entity in the material world carries his different conceptions of life from one body to another as the air carries aromas.
Thus he takes one kind of body and again quits it to take another.
Old 14-05-2015, 08:57 AM
Shamot

Gospel of Thomas & Buddhism

The first Buddha, Gautama & Jesus certainly were enlightened beings (this is the meaning of 'Buddha' - to be enlightened).

The disciple Thomas ended up in India, along the west coast. Christian orthodox apologists argue that he was influenced by the culture of India. This is not true. It would have, perhaps, helped him understand the sayings entrusted to him by Jesus.

The Four Noble Truths revealed by the first Buddha are imbedded in the Gospel of Thomas, which is no surprise since Jesus would recognise these truths too. The difference between the two enlightened teachers is that one came from this realm & worked toward the realm of the spirit (ending the cycle of Rebirth); the other came from the realm of the spirit to make this process easier - Jesus offered a gentle yoke.

In a sense, Gautama Buddha built one half of a bridge from this realm to meet the one Jesus built from the realm of the spirit.
Old 14-05-2015, 10:14 AM
celest

I love the Gospels of Thomas. Why did you say the first Buddha Shamot and not just Buddha ? just curious.
Old 14-05-2015, 10:19 AM
celest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrao
This reminds me of verse 15.8 of the Bhagavad Gita:
The living entity in the material world carries his different conceptions of life from one body to another as the air carries aromas.
Thus he takes one kind of body and again quits it to take another.

Thanks Serrao, I didn't know that. More for me to learn, love it