Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 26-06-2016, 11:04 PM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

Where is a good place to start?

I was raised Catholic and was always spiritual more than religious. I few years ago I realized that Christianity wasn't for me. I was always very interested in the mythologies of ancient Egypt and Greece and I started to realize that polytheism makes the most sense for my beliefs. For awhile I was content just going about living my life and didn't feel that I had time for any religions.

But recently I've felt like I needed something else in my life. Between a break up, leaving a job for my emotional well-being and my grand mother getting cancer again, I've felt the need to pray to a higher power, but I don't have a solid enough belief system to feel comfortable enough praying.

So my question is to all you paganists: I know that a pagan religion is what I need, but I don't know where to begin on figuring out which one is right for me. I'm open to learning about all pagan beliefs, and I what I would really like is a simple explanation of the religion (as simple as it could be :P), how you got into it, why you would suggest the religion to someone else, and good resources for learning about it and anything else that you think may be a good thing to know.

Adding to this: I have looked into reconstructionist Hellenism in the past and I did enjoy the concepts of it, but didn't know very much about it.

Thanks everyone!
MS

Last edited by Miss_Sagittarius : 27-06-2016 at 01:42 AM.
Old 27-06-2016, 02:07 AM
Deactivated Account

I was raised Catholic too, although, my parents were very liberal with it. I am not Pagan but I have dabbled into their practices for experimental purposes and I appreciate their culture a great deal. I am sure there are members here that can chime you in better and get more in depth with it.

Do you have a pinterest account? All I did was type in "Pagan" and hundreds of web page clippings of Pagan tips and rituals came up. Just a side tip.

My favorite little practice to do is grab a leaf from a tree, write a wish on it and release it to the lake.
Old 27-06-2016, 04:46 AM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

Clover, I do have a Pinterest account, I'll have to do that!

Unfortunately my mom didn't approve at first, but I explained how I felt and she understands now. I think my dad knows but I would never actually tell him. He would still accept me, but he wouldn't be happy about it.

The little things that I learned about Hellenism like pouring a small amount of water on the ground as thanks, I loved that part of it, giving thanks for the nature and the gifts around us. I like your idea about the leaf as well!

MS
Old 27-06-2016, 07:55 AM
Master
A pagan life is to be lived, not read about !
Old 27-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Experiencer
I've dabbled with a few different spiritualities, and was Wiccan for about two or three years before softening back into a generic "Pagan" spirit path for the past five years.
With Wiccan, what drew me to it was the sense of honor and connection with nature. Having spirits of animals not only exist but be equal to and capable of working with humans. I had always loved animals, enjoying any stories where a character would have animal companions. I had grown up with access to a very natural place where I could roam free, and felt the energy of the land. Learning about Wicca felt like a way for me to finally be able to reconnect with that, to feel in alignment with nature, and to have a name for my religion that I could find like-minded others through. Its basic agreed-upon motto is "An it harm none, do as ye will", which is a bit up to interpretation but tends to mean that as long as someone isn't hurting another being - spiritual or living - they're free to live life how they see fit. Most often I see Wiccans who either only believe in or only directly celebrate the Goddess/Mother, and there are Wiccans who believe in and celebrate both the Goddess/Mother and the God/Father. I haven't heard of any who celebrate only the God/Father, and in my experience the religion has a tradition of being more female-focused. They honor numerous spirits, from the regular four or five elements (Fire, Earth, Water, Air, and I believe Spirit) to rocks to trees and animals. Some believe in fae, many believe in dragons, though not necessarily in the sense that they existed physically. Often, a Wiccan (Who most often identify by the name Witch, or sometimes Wizard for men) practices rituals of some type, be it a simple candlelit ceremony of gratitude to the Mother Goddess at home or a moonlit "circle" of twenty Witches gathering to help the Earth heal. There are a few tools common for a Wiccan, including the pentacle (a five-point star within a circle, which represents the five elements within a protective ring and which is often mistaken for a Satanist pentagram), athame (ceremonial knife used to direct energy), wand (used the same as an athame), broom (sometimes used to brush away negative energy), and a Book of Shadows (spellbook). Often, a Wiccan also has crystals and other charms, divination or Tarot cards, and almost always they have a Familiar; a creature - physically living or spiritual - that assists them in magickal work. Most of the Wiccans I've met have followed Celtic traditions or cultural elements, as it is largely a mix of beliefs and practices from that region. There are many holidays celebrated by Wiccans, including the Equinoxes, Solstices, and the original, pre-Christian versions of many popular holidays: Ostara or Eoster (Easter), Samhain (Halloween), and Yule (Christmas) to name a few. I recommend it for anyone who feels they want to follow a nature-based spiritual path with Celtic roots, especially one that focuses at least equally on feminine energy if not predominately. Ultimately I decided it didn't resonate with me, and chose to leave it. Though many of the beliefs and values of it remain and have helped shape my current spirit path. Unfortunately I don't know of many online or book resources, since my knowledge came almost entirely from firsthand experience and teachings from others. Fortunately Google has pretty accurate results if you want to look into it.

While not a religion or spirituality, my primary spirit path is largely involved with the practice of Shamanism. It contains a lot of the same values and views as Wicca, but at a simpler level. There aren't any holidays or deities tied to Shamanism itself, and its roots extend far enough back and wide enough that it touches on every race, making it something that all people have ancestry in. The most common tool for a Shaman is the hand drum, and others include a rattle, feather fan or single feather, a medicine pouch, and a bowl to burn herbs as incense. In Shamanism, a Shaman is a person who enters into a trance - called a Journey - either with or without the use of a hand drum. From there they go to one of three spiritual worlds: Lower World (usually forested but sometimes oceanic, typicaly occupied by spirits plants and animals and occasionally humans who have a strong connection to nature), Middle World (a spiritual version of the physical world we live in, usually occupied by humans and sometimes fae), or Upper World (very airy and light, celestial, cosmic, often occupied by spirits of high-vibration humans, angels, some birds, and sometimes offworlder/extraterrestrials). The shaman goes there to communicate with spirits for any number of reasons. Primarily, as a spiritual healer, they go more often on behalf of a patient who is needing help in some way, be it from a physical illness or some other matter. In that case, the shaman would go to seek information or help from the spirits; they may go to meet a spirit who can shed light on a mystery, tell them or guide them on how to treat an illness, find a lost person in the physical world, etc. If they don't go on behalf of another person, they may go simply to learn, communicate, and spend time with the spirits. Always, however, a Shaman spends at least part of their time helping others through it in some way. In the shamanic tradition, there is no illness or wound that doesn't stem from the soul. Cardiac trouble, for example, could have its root in heartbreak over the loss of a relationship in a past life. A Shaman has at least one Spirit Guide or Power Animal at any given time; an animal, humanoid, or other spirit that accompanies them, protects them, and guides them in their Journeys as well as in physical life. Since it is such an ancient and adaptable practice, it's compatible with just about any religion and spiritual path. I personally got into it when I met a practitioner who was also my holistic therapist. I had always been drawn to it, finding the idea and image of a shaman or witch doctor fascinating when I saw them in movies and stories. I had put it off my entire life, through a combination of not having access to someone who knew how to do it and feeling like it was a practice only allowed to members of certain races. Once those barriers were overcome, I was fortunate in discovering I had a knack for it and have been practicing it ever since. The people I'd recommend it to are those who are greatly driven by a desire to help others, especially empaths and those with the strong desire to help others heal, and who are drawn to nature and spirits. The two most popular experts on the subject are Michael Harner and Sandra Ingerman, who both have a wide selection of books available. I would recommend starting with Michael Harner's book "The Way of the Shaman" if you're interested in looking into it further.
A last thing to note about Shamanism, it is common for someone who is meant to practice Shamanism to have an intense experience that brings them close to death at some point in their life. It may be anything from surviving an otherwise fatal car crash to surviving a life-threatening illness to getting through a severe mental disorder. There are others who don't experience this, and the issue is a bit.. complex. It is still worth mentioning as it is a common thing brought up as a requisite in texts regarding shamanism.

Those are the only two I can comfortably say I have experience with. However, I encourage you to still look around this forum to see if anything about a spirit path sparks a sense of resonance with you. Experiment. You may find a single path is what calls you, or a couple. Or you may develop your own collection of beliefs that have no set name, like I do. Regardless, keeping an open mind and repeatedly telling the universe "I'm ready to experience the spirituality that is right and healthy for me" will call it to you. It'll come, and you'll start to notice things "happen" to coincide with that. It's an exciting place to be in, and I wish you well in your search.
"Sometimes you will act as an angel to others, perhaps without even realizing it. One day a woman comes up to you and says 'You saved my life'. You look at her astonished, trying to remember the last time you even saw this person before, the meeting meant so little to you at the time. 'Don't you remember? I was standing on the bridge, staring at the water, and you passed and said 'Good morning'."
Old 27-06-2016, 04:51 PM
Knower

As your local Hellenic Pagan, I hope I can be of help! If you have any specific questions, just ask.

Some useful books (try interlibrary loan):
A world full of gods: an inquiry into polytheism / John Michael Greer
Hellenic polytheism: household worship (published by Labrys)
Ancient Greek cults / Jennifer Larson
Household gods / Alexandra Sofroniew
Longing for wisdom: the message of the maxims / Allyson Szabo

Some web-sites:
http://www.manygods.org.uk/articles/
http://www.labrys.gr/index-en.php (awesome videos)
http://www.theoi.com/
http://www.hellenion.org/index.html
http://www.neokoroi.org/
http://www.neosalexandria.org/

Pagan practices are as simple or as complicated as you make them.

Tonight, as usual before dinner, I'll go to my altar and call on the gods. I'll burn some incense, and offer some fruit and wine. The wine I pour into the libation bowl will be emptied into the garden later. The rest of the wine, with the fruit, becomes part of dinner. I'll thank them for the good things I've received, ask them to look after me in future, and pray that the wine and fruit will convey their blessings to me (think "communion").

The dark of the moon is the festival of Hekate, and I devote the first three days of the lunar month to Hestia, Asklepios, and Tyche. Every month I have a festival: this month it was Aphrodite, next is Athena. On festival days I pray to that god specifically, sing a hymn, and offer a bunch of flowers. In some cases, I'll vow a donation to a suitable charity, like a hospice for Pluto and Persephone.

Altars don't have to be complicated. Note the Hindu altar in a box:
http://www.religiousforums.com/threa...altars.188521/
http://www.religiousforums.com/threa.../#post-4165700
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=...%2F22w.jpg&f=1
Old 27-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Newbie ;)
Seeker

Thank you guys for the insight, I really appreciate it!

Norseman, I live in a place that is commonly Christian and not to be Christian is an abomination, so unfortunately I don't think there are many around me that live a pagan life. I've never had any exposure to pagan beliefs so I'm trying to learn about what is out there and what is right for me. Then I fully intend on living it to the fullest!

Crystal, thank you so much for so much information! I have been seeing some on shamanism around here and was curious about it. I'll definitely look into it along with Wicca which I've always been curious about.

David, thank for the info on Hellenism! Like I said, I dabbled in it a bit previously and I loved the simplicity of it, but felt that I just didn't know enough to practice.

MS
Old 27-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Seeker
I have to say I was raised a Christain but it's always been hard to worship as they do. Not that I'm not a believer in God because I am but to congregate with sinners while they are judging everyone including me..well it's just plain wrong and "not God like"or what God intended for them to do. So I moved away from the religion but not God. I have always felt, even as a practicing Christian, a pull to nature. I never really Understood it unless I was a pagan or a Wiccian in a past life. I am a light worker, I have guides and I meditate and spread love. It seems like after reading the post above about Shamanism, it is very similar but no drums or trances unless you consider meditation a form of trance. I too, am a Sagittarius And a deep thinker. I felt I needed a tittle for my spirituality so that I wouldn't have to explain who I am. I am a light worker with a strong sense of connection to nature and I also have spirits trying to communicate with me everyday. I also have the Clair's going on lol. I did not have to try to be or have any of these gifts. I was born with them but Christianity , I've had to work at due to mans ego. I know what you mean and your feeling but you may be like me, a little of all, but not all of one thing, I am spiritual, with attachments. Lol. Good luck, Sag
Old 28-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Sagittarius
Thank you guys for the insight, I really appreciate it!

Norseman, I live in a place that is commonly Christian and not to be Christian is an abomination, so unfortunately I don't think there are many around me that live a pagan life. I've never had any exposure to pagan beliefs so I'm trying to learn about what is out there and what is right for me. Then I fully intend on living it to the fullest!

MS

Miss_Sagittarius, I roamed the moors and dales of Northern England, immersing myself in the natural world. After about 30 years, I got "The call" which I now know is referred to as the "Cunning Fire" which all Cunning Folk receive eventually - this is a shamanic path, very ancient. I did not study it or learn it, Gaia prepared me without my knowing - an experiential path ! So, Miss S, you could simply follow my example and roam the wilds. Your path will find you !
I live in Britain where christianity is only skin-deep and the pagan creeds are strong and always have been.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:43 PM
Master

I second be yourself to the fullest and your path will find you. If a god or goddess (or something) is meant to be part of your path you will get a calling. Like tantra was something that found me through the images of Dionysus, not something I chased.