Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 11-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
baro-san, I am here just doing, living, experiencing, surviving and learning. I was puzzled for a very long time just how karma worked. Now I don't give a hoot about karma. I put it in the same category as "sin". Because it keeps many from just experiencing the human aspect of why we are here

I like this

Regards genetics for me it goes back to the nature/nurture argument. I feel we are a mix of both. I think for many genetics is like a switch through nurture that switch can be on or off but in some people the switch is set to on without nurture.

I haven't done one of those genetic tests I am intriged but the conspiracy theory tin foil hat wearing side of me seems to win
Old 11-09-2017, 03:09 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by baro-san
Some considerations:

Genetic baggage may be an explanation, but it isn't an excuse.

"Do no harm to others" isn't always possible. Take the case when you see somebody harming another. Not intervening means doing harm. To intervene you might have to do harm.

Karma traces are created by our thoughts, desires, and actions, both when "awake", and when "asleep". Meaning also that good intentions can still result in negative karmic traces.

In buddhism negative Kamma is created by intent and intent only. How can good intentions create negative Kamma ?
Old 11-09-2017, 04:16 PM
Badcopyinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
I truly believe in previous incarnations I analyzed things to much. In this one I've learned or am experiencing living my life by my gut instincts.

This is the answer to everything...

let go and let life. do what moves you!

experience every aspect of the journey.

overthinking and finding out why takes away from the above.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Master

Snow Goose, the dictionary says to nurture means: the fostering or overseeing of the development of something. So to nurture can reinforce positive or negative behaviors. So that can set the stage for a negative or positive childhood environment. But I think you see that.

I believe how we behave is a mixture, like you said. But I think it's more then just the nature (genes) and nurturing (environment). I think there are a whole list of factors that contribute to the equation way after the child has grown into an adult.

Are you surrounded by violence or calm?
How hungry are you?
Do you have an illness or are you well?
How much pain are you in or not in?
Do you feel threatened/safe?
Is your environment stable/unstable?
Do the people closest to you treat you with respect or distain?
Are you financially lacking/comfortable?
Do you have a good/bad body image?

How one acts when times are good are way different then when one is in a difficult situation or environment. And that's when the bad genes we were born with can kick in. Might we call it survival? Do'no. I have to think on that.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Master

Badcopy, that's how I believe (lol, feel) in a nutshell.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:27 PM
Guide

Agree completely Deb :-)

Whats your thoughts on people who try to override their genetics?

For example a women who has the gene (BRCA1/2) that could be more prone to breast cancer has surgery to remove their breast tissue though they have never had cancer or symptoms of.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
In buddhism negative Kamma is created by intent and intent only. How can good intentions create negative Kamma ?
Because of the ignorance.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by baro-san
Because of the ignorance.

Something done with right intention is not ignorance but wisdom.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Master
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123

I think he's using only the broadest context and meaning of doing harm and every last one of its potential outcomes. Because of this sort of thing, I'm not so sure I even believe in 'karma'. I think it may very well be just a catch word to help explain away human judgment - which isn't always accurate to say the least.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:54 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
Agree completely Deb :-)

Whats your thoughts on people who try to override their genetics?

For example a women who has the gene (BRCA1/2) that could be more prone to breast cancer has surgery to remove their breast tissue though they have never had cancer or symptoms of.

I don't think there is a wrong or right answer. I think each person has to make that decision themselves based on their genetics and their life experiences. If the threat and fear of possibly getting breast cancer in the future is going to diminish their quality of life and they are willing to have a mastectomy then by all means do so. If they want to take the chance that they won't develop the cancer and, "see what happens", then go for it.

One person might have witnessed a relative that went through a horror story of surgery and treatment and decide they don't want to face that possibility whereas another might say, "Bring it on! (while rolling up sleeves)" Both are right because they are doing what is right for themselves.

It's like some of us can paint and some can crochet. We're all so wonderfully different.