Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 18-02-2015, 04:22 PM
Pathfinder
Anger and Puja

Namaste I have a concern regarding anger and puja. Recently I had an episode where I got angry at a situation and reacted by using profanity and throwing an object down (on something soft because it was my cell phone). I was not in the presence of those who had angered me, because I was informed of the situation via phone (hence the throwing). I also said some pretty profane words. Within 20 minutes or so I was calm. Later that day as I was doing meditation at my home shrine I remembered that after an explosion of anger one should not do puja for at least 30 days.

I normally do salutations to Lord Ganesha, jappa to Shiva, meditate, fan the flames and then bless myself with the flame.

Questions are 1. How angry is angry? I mean does someone have to be harmed from this?
2 Does anyone know the reason for it?

Theoretically, one can get angry every few days and NEVER get to puja

Thank you
Aum Namah Shiva
Old 18-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical Warrior
Namaste I have a concern regarding anger and puja. Recently I had an episode where I got angry at a situation and reacted by using profanity and throwing an object down (on something soft because it was my cell phone). I was not in the presence of those who had angered me, because I was informed of the situation via phone (hence the throwing). I also said some pretty profane words. Within 20 minutes or so I was calm. Later that day as I was doing meditation at my home shrine I remembered that after an explosion of anger one should not do puja for at least 30 days.

I normally do salutations to Lord Ganesha, jappa to Shiva, meditate, fan the flames and then bless myself with the flame.

Questions are 1. How angry is angry? I mean does someone have to be harmed from this?

Thank you
Aum Namah Shiva
Well, I am going against something you were told.
I will say this... your life should be puja...never stop.

Anger is an outburst and then it is done, gone, like a child's tantrum, so...not in the present moment...leave it...as you would drive by trash on the road,
no need to to even look in the rear view mirror.

What is anger? Well, that could take volumes ...but, when you are separated from Truth...you can feel anything...jealousy, doubt, worry, low self esteem...the door is open to all those...take your pick.

Keep focused on your love and worship.
The mind has tricked you once with the anger, don't let it trick you
again and stop you from puja for 30 days!!
My 2 cents

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 18-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Pathfinder
Thank you Miss Hepburn, I will try to find the source of my quote just in case someone wants to see it. I appreciate your answer and tend to agree with you.
Old 18-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Guide

I am of the POV that you shouldn't do puja while angry. As to how angry is angry, that's another question.

Puja opens the shrine room, or the temple to influence from inner worlds. You're inviting guests, namely devas. When you're angry it;s possible 'other' more elemental or even asuras can come. Your anger has opened it up for them, because they're attracted to it. They will just come and cause you more mischief. Just as you're more likely to fight with a loved one when you're mad about something else, it expands the territory of anger, so to speak.

At a temple, I certainly wouldn't want an angry priest doing the puja. Hindu temples aren't places to go to for solace. A walk in nature is better for that.

Anger is a lower emotion we really need to get a grip on. Good luck with it.
Old 18-02-2015, 07:46 PM
Master

Quote:
Within 20 minutes or so I was calm. Later that day as I was doing meditation at my home shrine I remembered that after an explosion of anger one should not do puja for at least 30 days.
You became calm within 20 minutes. That makes you good to do puja again.
I suggest working on the anger issue. Better yet, ask Ganesha or Shiva to work on your anger. They are better at it than we are.
Quote:
I mean does someone have to be harmed from this?
Not really. We have to learn from our experiences and move on.
Quote:
Aum Namah Shiva
Stay with this and it will take care of your anger.
Old 18-02-2015, 07:49 PM
Guide

Anger is in degrees. In my opinion, if you cursed or threw something, than its about an 8/10 on the anger scale. Hitting another person would be a 10 I suppose. Mild annoyance is low, and feigning anger as parents or teachers can do doesn't even count, although that might take some honest self-reflection because the ego can say, "I wasn't actually angry' as a way to excuse itself. So I mean actually faking it.
Old 19-02-2015, 12:29 AM
Pathfinder
Thanks everyone for your answers. @Vinayaka your answer makes a lot of sense and I have had a lot of peaceful energy emit from that room so I will ask Lord Shiva to take care of that with all praise to him.
Old 19-02-2015, 02:17 AM
Guide

Still, 30 days seems like a long time, so it would depend on how your conscience feels as well. In my tradition, I'd do a self-imposed penance, such as 51 circumambulations of temple ... outside, and really take that time to reflect on it too.
Old 20-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Master

Quote:

Thank you
Aum Namah Shiva

My understanding is that when you do puja in a particular place regularly, the positive vibrations in that area tend to build up and it becomes a place of power, which is beneficial to all who enters this area.

When you then does puja in an angry mood, you emit negative vibes which can damage the positivity of the place.

So, this could be the reason why it has been said to ensure one does not do puja in an angry mood. The vibrations of anger still sticks to your aura and cause damage.

This also is the same with respect to all other negative emotions as well, such as greed, lust,sadness as all emit negative vibrations.

You can go out for a walk, and meditate in an another room so as to come out of the negative mood. Taking a bath too helps to get rid of the negativity ,as water is a very good cleanser of negativity.

If you are very sensitive through yoga practice, you can even feel these vibes, which also acts as a source of information in this regard.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 20-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Deactivated Account

As long as you're not angry at the actual time you do Puja then you should be fine.