Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Kapitan_Prien

'Misunderstood' Totems

Anyone else here have an animal totem that is often 'misunderstood'?

For example, mine is the Shark:

Shark - Journey-maker

Keywords:

Peaceable predator. Inspiring observation and understanding. Honing the senses. The ceaseless journey-maker. Power and authority. Tendency towards workaholicism. Protection in all worlds. The predatorial subconscious. Resistance to change.

General Description:

The shark is an oceanic, streamlined fish with cartilaginous skeletons. They are highly adapted to hunting other fish and aquatic species. They have 5-7 gills, rows of sharp, replaceable teeth, and keen senses (particularly the olfactory, audio and electromagnetic senses).

Sharks don't have sea bladders like other fish, and sink if they don't keep swimming. They are mostly 'ever moving', though some will rest on the sea-floor. Sharks are usually solitary, though some species will be very social. Some give birth to live young, others lay eggs. In our society the shark evokes irrational fear for many, leading to their widespread slaughter. They are also captured for medicinal and culinary purposes. Sharks have been known to kill human, with some species being more likely to prey upon humans than others.

Lessons and Challenges:

When shark comes into our lives, it inspires observation and understanding. The shark sends very clear signals to other fish, letting them know when it is peaceable, or predatorial. They understand her signals and interpret them accordingly. Shark teaches us how to read others effectively, but also how to give off very clear signals that cannot be misunderstood by others. It is about learning how to invite others when necessary, and how to establish boundaries. It also teaches us how to consciously let others know when we may be angry, or not pleasant to be around, for their own protection and to give them a chance to remove themselves from our presence.

Shark teaches us how to hone our senses. We might be someone who considers ourselves alert, but it is important that we get a sense of precision with our sight, smell and touch. Shark lets us understand also that our senses mean nothing if we interpret them incorrectly. Senses are useless if we are not paying attention to them, or ignoring 'warning bells'.

The shark is a ceaseless journey-maker. Shark lets us know that all the ups and downs are not over, and in fact may never be over. We must learn how to adapt to constant hardship, or to constant pressure and stress; this is a natural part of our lives. Shark teaches us to learn how to nourish ourselves and 'relax' during times of stress, rather than always waiting for the mythical time of 'when it's over.'

Significantly, even shark's behaviour can show us exactly how to relax and care for ourselves during times of stress. It lets other fish and creatures of the ocean look after it when it opens up its personal space and communicates that it's safe to be around. Likewise we might respond to massages, or opening up to friends, or letting ourselves follow relaxing, tactile pursuits.

Shark has a natural power and authority in the environment in which it is comfortable. Shark reminds us that it is important to show that we have power, and that we can fight for what we want, and not back down. It is not a showy or arrogant power fuelled with insecurity, it is a steely and resolved power.

The shark implies protection in all worlds. As a guide, this creature lends it's strength and ability to negotiate all otherworldly paths to us.

It is important to realise that we have a dark side; it might be our shadow self, or our subconscious, or whatever term fits your worldview, but there is a part of ourselves which is predatorial even though we may seek to deny it. It is there, and part of our struggle is to integrate and assimilate what might seem ruthless and bloodthirsty. Shark helps us to understand and embrace our predatorial subconscious.

Shark will often come into a person's lives to give a metaphorical kick up the backside. It doesn't hurt to sometimes be a workaholic or apply yourself diligently to the work you care for. Life doesn't stop and shark tells us that neither should we. Shark energy can be a real motivator against laziness, but only if you let it.

Shark as a guide, reminds us that sometimes change is not good or appropriate, and that we must be resistant to change in order to preserve something about our lifestyle that is inherently ours. Sometimes this might come in the form of resisting the changes that others impose upon us, so that we might make the changes in our life that are right for us. Other times it might come in the form of resisting an environmental change, or a lifestyle change, that threatens to compromise our safety and internal growth. Shark comes into our life to tell us that change for the sake of change is useless, especially when you are already onto a good thing in your lifestyle.

Shark is the peaceable predator, it is a fierce hunter who is easily able to cruise gently and quietly with its prey. Shark understands the oceans, and the way inter-relationships work, and is not too hostile, nor too inviting. Shark teaches us that it is possible to be innately predatorial and seek what we want, without alienating our friends, family and the energies in our environment. This is a very important lesson for many, but also a difficult one, which may be why many people are frightened of shark or resent its energy.

The Shadow Aspects:

Shark is a common shadow aspect in many people's lives. Most people dislike shark, or are confronted by it, because it represents a clear risk and reminder of our immortality. Sharks remind us that we are not just predators, we are also prey, we are vulnerable in our environments and that in the great scheme of things, we are as able to be harmed and hurt as any other animal. They teach us to understand that we are worth nothing more or less than any other creature. We are not the commanders of the earth, we do not control the ocean, and we are not necessarily 'masters' of our environment. We are simply a part of an ecosystem, one that we should respect accordingly. Some people struggle with this, and as such walk a tough road to seeing shark as an ally and not just an enemy.

Shark also helps us to confront our own inner predator. All predators remind us that we too can be ruthless and vicious when we need to be. Some of us repress or hide from this knowledge and develop and unnatural fear of predators in the natural world. We might even develop a dislike of people who go out and get what they want out of life, especially if it is at the expense of others. Shark encourages us to confront our own ability to get what we need and to view this as an asset, and a part of our being 'human.'

Communion:

Like all animal helpers, this animal will only appear when right and appropriate, and cannot be forced to visit you, commune with you, or share messages with you. Shark is often quite forthcoming in dreams, and this might be the most obvious way that you realise that shark has come into your life. Otherwise, shark can be contacted via visualisations (particularly of the ocean), and also literally by visiting marine parks and aquatic zoological gardens.

Shark responds well to offerings of raw fish, and you can become more in 'tune' to shark energy by shifting your diet to include more fish products. Hone your instincts to sense when shark as a messenger is communicating more gentle lessons to you, or more predatorial ones. Examine your emotional responses to shark to aid you.

(My other is the Albatross)
Old 12-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Deactivated Account

Just curious Kapitan, why do you say that your totem is ' misunderstood ' ?

blessings,
Dream Angel xx

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction
Old 12-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Master
I was wondering that as well - why the idea that it's misunderstood? :)

Old 12-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Deactivated Account

Good to hear that I am not the only one wondering, Kaere. The only thing I can think of is that a shark isn't exactly a friendly creature of the sea.

Expect Miracles !

Old 12-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Master
Yes...but it's just a creature same as any other - everything's gotta eat lol.

Old 13-10-2010, 04:54 AM
SoaringSpirit

I think he probably means misunderstood cause people think of them as big killers, the majority of people hate sharks and the thought of them, tends to bring fear to the hearts of most people....

Thats not how I feel about them though, although I do confess that if I was swimming in the sea and saw a great white, I'd want to get the hell out of there ASAP!!! LOL
Old 13-10-2010, 06:01 AM
Master
I think you're right on that score SoaringSpirit. I understood what he meant by them being misunderstood, LOL. And I think more people choose land predator/mammals such as bears, tigers, lions, as totems more often than sea creatures/predators.
Old 13-10-2010, 07:45 AM
Deactivated Account

I thought totem animals chose us ?

Expect Miracles !

Old 13-10-2010, 02:27 PM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Angel
I thought totem animals chose us ?

That is my understanding too, Dream Angel. Mine certainly chose me! I had a fascination for the timberwolf for as long as I can remember... an extreme interest in them provoking intense study as well as an utter fascination to discover the "real" spirit of the animal. They came to me in dreams, in visions, and in stories and pictures. It seemed they were everywhere! Then in my forties I had a unique opportunity. A close friend acquired a seven week old wolf pup whom my husband and I were privileged to help raise. It was an incredible experience, the value of which I cannot even begin to put to words!!! What a magnificent animal!

My point is, wolf came to me, not the other way round. Wolf inserted its essence and spirit into my life in a powerful way, long before I knew the meaning of the word totem
Old 13-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Kapitan_Prien

Quote:
Soaring Spirit: I think he probably means misunderstood cause people think of them as big killers, the majority of people hate sharks and the thought of them, tends to bring fear to the hearts of most people....

Thanks - that's exactly what I mean by 'misunderstood'.