Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Past Lives & Reincarnation

Old 13-02-2018, 03:53 PM
Pathfinder
What are the differences between soul and consciousness?

What are the differences between soul and consciousness? Am I my soul?
When people say, when you die your soul will go where it belongs. Why use "my"? Does it mean, when your body dies, you <your soul> go where you belong?
Old 13-02-2018, 04:46 PM
Master
it seems that most people who've expressed an opinion on the topic appear
to believe that their "actual self" is their soul. there's also, apparently, a
belief that most people tend to view themselves as if they were a body
(which is NOT what i've observed: i see most as thinking themselves to be
a soul inhabiting a body).
personally, i believe that identity is 'fungible'... it may vary according to
how one applies their belief/faith/attention/point of view.

"When people say, when you die your soul will go where it belongs.
Does it mean, when your body dies, [your soul goes] where [it] belong[s]?
"
yes. that's what is meant.
consider however the possibility that a soul is always where it is 'meant' to be.
that [may] mean that there is a reason for it to be here and now, in physical
manifestation, inhabiting a body.

i tend toward considering consciousness as an aspect of mind.
i tend toward the belief that a soul contains elements of existence
which are not properly understood as "mind" (specifically: will).
Old 13-02-2018, 05:55 PM
Knower
The way I see it is, consciousness is everything. Everything arises within consciousness.

Therefore soul is just a part of your consciousness.

When body dies, consciousness continues.

YOU are that consciousness. You are not only that small part of consciousness known as bodymind. You are much more. And the greater aspects of you are eternal. Even when your soul eventually rejoins Source, it will still be your consciousness. Your consciousness merges with the eternal pure consciousness which is ever-present.

Sorry if I'm rambling. That's just the way I see it.
Old 13-02-2018, 07:43 PM
Guide
I think many people see themselves as a soul in a body where their consciousness then continues in some way once the body dies. I see it completely the other way around, that we are not a soul in a body but a body that is the soul of the Universe. So as one person dies, another is born. Therefore, we as the Universe continues experiencing itself through each and everyone of us.

Consequently, when we die, our concentrated consciousness goes back to Universal Consciousness. The pure and beautiful state of 'nothingness' from which everything originates.

I am not an individual having a universal experience, but the universe having an individual experience. Where consciousness is the universe experiencing itself through each of us.

Destiny is not the path given to us - but the path we choose for ourselves.

Current resources:
Tom Campbell: Ultimate Reality www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhv-XCff4_I

Currently reading:
Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are: Alan Watts
A Brief History of Time: Stephen Hawking
Old 14-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Rider_1970
I think many people see themselves as a soul in a body where their consciousness then continues in some way once the body dies. I see it completely the other way around, that we are not a soul in a body but a body that is the soul of the Universe. So as one person dies, another is born. Therefore, we as the Universe continues experiencing itself through each and everyone of us.

Consequently, when we die, our concentrated consciousness goes back to Universal Consciousness. The pure and beautiful state of 'nothingness' from which everything originates.

Yep...this resonates very well with me.

This is not the reality of existence. The reality of existence is that place consciousness goes to when the body gives out, the place of truth in existence, the place that is eternal.

Whatever this existence we're living is in this universe, it is determined by how much the ego is fed/how much it is bridled.

So, if we have to label things, maybe the "soul" can mean whatever comes from consciousness encountering and dealing with the ego. And then again, maybe "soul" can just mean another name for "consciousness", likewise "spirit". But, in the reality of existence, does it really matter?

Namaste.
Old 16-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Master
The word “Soul” is used in many different ways, but it always tends to describe an immaterial essence, animating principle or spiritual identity. In the Ageless Wisdom teachings the Soul is specifically the consciousness aspect.

It is not the originating life essence (often called the First Aspect), nor is it the combined body, emotional nature and mind of an individual (often called the Third Aspect). The Soul is the Second Aspect, the mediator between the other two.

It is also the seat of the spiritual consciousness and is the immortal Identity that persists from incarnation to
incarnation.

Shaku Tokusen
Old 18-02-2018, 05:03 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValVan
What are the differences between soul and consciousness? Am I my soul?
When people say, when you die your soul will go where it belongs. Why use "my"? Does it mean, when your body dies, you <your soul> go where you belong?

The understanding what the soul is varies almost from person to person.
In my understanding there is no difference between consciousness and the soul. It becomes a little bit difficult to grasp once we consider that there is only one consciousness, all is one and then try to see an individual soul within it. I call a soul a unit of consciousness and a soul is always part of a larger consciousness unit, and does not directly link to source.
The soul or any other consciousness never move, are never within the physical verse. In fact, the soul creates an energy structure, we call spirit and this energy structure will move around the physical realms, and through this energy structure the soul can experience different levels of physicality.
Where the spirit goes after the death of the body is not as strait forward as some like to belief.
Old 19-02-2018, 05:31 AM
Knower

What you call your consciousness is a superficial consciousness related to the physical body and it disappears with his death ..
The deeper layer is the subconscious, which is already closer to our true self. This is the consciousness of the team and the orders for action.
The superficial consciousness is like a guardian, which helps to weed out information. To think and weigh our actions.

And in the depths lies the superconsciousness, which is our true essence.
What is usually called the soul-this is the true I who came under the influence of the three gunas (rajas, tamas and sattva), the Gunas cause illusions of error in the mind.
And the goal of spiritual practice is to divide our true identity and guna. This is called the attainment of liberation and enlightenment.