Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Auras & Chakras

Old 28-12-2010, 04:13 PM
CuriousSnowflake

Music and the Chakras

It's a common belief that the chakras are aligned with the Western major musical scale, but it would be more accurate to say that that they almost are. Western music since the mid-18th century has been based on what is called an equal-tempered scale, meaning that the 12 chromatic semitones are vibrationally equidistant from each other. The upside to this is that it allows for instruments which can be played in many different keys. The downside is that the scales are slightly out of tune within themselves. We just don't notice this anymore because we've been listening to equal-tempered music for the last 250 years.

Also, the major/minor modality that we are so used to only developed in the West starting around 1650 or so. During the Renaissance and earlier, the major and minor scales were only two of six different scales (or Modes) that were commonly used (there is a seventh, but hardly anyone used it). An example of these modal scales is the song "Scarborough Fair" by Simon and Garfunkle. It's in what is called Dorian Mode; a minor scale with a sharped sixth. On a piano, play a scale on all of the white keys, going from D to D, that's Dorian.

So the idea that the chakras line up with the Western major scale is a misconception born from typical Western hubris; that the way we have things now is both the best way and the way it has always been. But this does not mean that music and the chakras do not have a connection, they very much do. But the connection is a more natural one, based upon harmonic vibrations and not a man-made scale. The chakras actually resonate with certain musical intervals, based upon what is called the "harmonic series". In a nutshell, the harmonic series is how mathematical ratios line up with music. All music is vibrations. If you take a certain vibration, a certain tone, and double the speed, you end up with a tone that is an octave higher than the original. If you triple it, you end up with a perfect fifth. If you multiply it by 5, you get a major third, by 7 and you get a minor 7th, and so on. I feel that the chakras resonate with the same musical intervals, based upon a fundamental tone: the second chakra with the octave, the third with a fifth, the fourth with a major third, the fifth with a minor 7th, the sixth with a ninth or major 2nd, the seventh with a tritone, and the eighth with the octave again.

If you are truly interested in experimenting with music and the chakras, try this out. Find a piano and play an octave with your left hand, down towards the bottom fourth of the keyboard. With your right hand, play a perfect 5th higher than the top note in your left, then a minor 6th higher than that. So if you start with C, you play two Cs with your left hand and a G and an E with your right. If you have the notes correct, you will notice this gives off a very open and powerful sounding major triad. The reason it sounds so good is because these three notes are in order based upon the harmonic series, vibrating at double, triple, and quintuple the speed of the bottom note, so they all resonate perfectly with each other. Now, start shifting chromatically up and down the scale, keeping the same intervals. Eventually you will find a chord that resonates more powerfully with you than any other, one that you feel almost as a physical force. For me, it is E Major, but it is different for everyone. This is your fundamental, the tones that resonate with your lowest four chakras. You will probably find, if you listen, that some of your favorite songs or musical pieces are in that same key, and that you will not like pieces that are in keys that clash with it.

This is all just my own personal conjecturing, so I'd love to hear other input as to whether or not they have similar experiences to mine.

CS
Old 28-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Master
This is quite interesting - I think I might check this out myself tonight.

Old 28-12-2010, 05:10 PM
CuriousSnowflake

Let me know how it goes, especially whether or not your fundamental coincides with any of your favorite songs. That's a pet theory that has always held true for me, but I've never compared it with anyone else's experiences.

CS
Old 28-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Ciqala

Yeah, it works, i use music for my chakras all the time. It even works with normal music, if the notes are there, you see we have many more chakras than just the seven, and each can be stimulated by different notes, but it is best to search for cd's where the artist knows what he is talking about, so every single note can stimulate the chakras. Once you begin to pay attention to sounds - your chakras will become very sensitive to all sounds in your environment.
My favourite cd is listed in my thread here music for chakras. They have interesting musical instrument techniques, that create waves all down your spine, up your spine, and this cd, has worked on chakras all over my body.

I would be excited also, to hear if anyone has any cool recommendations for music, artists, or songs, or cd's. You might also want to look into the singing bowls, they can awake and stimulate chakras as well.
It is the most pleasurable experience, and it helps to lay down on your back, somewhere comfy (i have an altar mat) with your spine straight, and focus on the music. Music can awake kundalini also, listening to chakra tones, is better if your kundalini is awakened, the feelings are intensified.
When you focus on the music, your brain easily seeks out the whereabouts of all chakras.
Old 28-12-2010, 11:50 PM
shaya48

Thats great

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousSnowflake
It's a common belief that the chakras are aligned with the Western major musical scale, but it would be more accurate to say that that they almost are. Western music since the mid-18th century has been based on what is called an equal-tempered scale, meaning that the 12 chromatic semitones are vibrationally equidistant from each other. The upside to this is that it allows for instruments which can be played in many different keys. The downside is that the scales are slightly out of tune within themselves. We just don't notice this anymore because we've been listening to equal-tempered music for the last 250 years.

Also, the major/minor modality that we are so used to only developed in the West starting around 1650 or so. During the Renaissance and earlier, the major and minor scales were only two of six different scales (or Modes) that were commonly used (there is a seventh, but hardly anyone used it). An example of these modal scales is the song "Scarborough Fair" by Simon and Garfunkle. It's in what is called Dorian Mode; a minor scale with a sharped sixth. On a piano, play a scale on all of the white keys, going from D to D, that's Dorian.

So the idea that the chakras line up with the Western major scale is a misconception born from typical Western hubris; that the way we have things now is both the best way and the way it has always been. But this does not mean that music and the chakras do not have a connection, they very much do. But the connection is a more natural one, based upon harmonic vibrations and not a man-made scale. The chakras actually resonate with certain musical intervals, based upon what is called the "harmonic series". In a nutshell, the harmonic series is how mathematical ratios line up with music. All music is vibrations. If you take a certain vibration, a certain tone, and double the speed, you end up with a tone that is an octave higher than the original. If you triple it, you end up with a perfect fifth. If you multiply it by 5, you get a major third, by 7 and you get a minor 7th, and so on. I feel that the chakras resonate with the same musical intervals, based upon a fundamental tone: the second chakra with the octave, the third with a fifth, the fourth with a major third, the fifth with a minor 7th, the sixth with a ninth or major 2nd, the seventh with a tritone, and the eighth with the octave again.

If you are truly interested in experimenting with music and the chakras, try this out. Find a piano and play an octave with your left hand, down towards the bottom fourth of the keyboard. With your right hand, play a perfect 5th higher than the top note in your left, then a minor 6th higher than that. So if you start with C, you play two Cs with your left hand and a G and an E with your right. If you have the notes correct, you will notice this gives off a very open and powerful sounding major triad. The reason it sounds so good is because these three notes are in order based upon the harmonic series, vibrating at double, triple, and quintuple the speed of the bottom note, so they all resonate perfectly with each other. Now, start shifting chromatically up and down the scale, keeping the same intervals. Eventually you will find a chord that resonates more powerfully with you than any other, one that you feel almost as a physical force. For me, it is E Major, but it is different for everyone. This is your fundamental, the tones that resonate with your lowest four chakras. You will probably find, if you listen, that some of your favorite songs or musical pieces are in that same key, and that you will not like pieces that are in keys that clash with it.

This is all just my own personal conjecturing, so I'd love to hear other input as to whether or not they have similar experiences to mine.

CS

Hi CS,

That is very interesting reading, thankyou, i agree, i have had a chakra balance and cleansing with the crystal bowls and you can feel the vibrations resonating with your chakra's, music is the same, i have had some wonderful experiences from the sounds and vibrations of different things that i have been offered to have from friends who are healers and use these methods, its great.

I had an indian drumming, that was incrediable, i love experiencing new things its wonderful how people work with their given gifts.

Love and Light Shaya.