Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 11-12-2014, 03:17 AM
TakesFeelings

Weight problem

I am a guy who use to be jacked and weighed in around 200 pounds. My diet was a diet of "eat whatever I want when I want". two or three months ago I went Vegan not knowing anything about the health keys. I am finding it hard to meet a reasonable calories intake. Some of my problems are "you look skinny"And I am a guy who is not amused then people say this. Is there a protein or a calorie dense shake that will be packed with all the good calories that I need? Is there anything I can do to make my transition for meat to plants based diet more healthy?
PEACE
Old 11-12-2014, 03:32 AM
Master
Dont be scared to eat fat, the more fat the better! it's one of the greatest myths that fats are bad for you! fantastic education by the powers that be. Eat Nuts, i would say when it comes to vegetarian food they are very very dense. Nuts, Lentils, you need plenty of fats man. I am not sure whether you can eat eggs, but if you can! eat them aswell. And the rest of you're diet, i am sure you know what to eat.

Hemp Seeds, Nuts, and Algae's.

http://www.purehealingfoods.com/hempHeartsInfo.php

Also look into coconut oil's, and Red Palm Oil's for adding more fats to shakes or whatever.

http://www.thebetterhealthstore.com/...lm-Oil_02.html

Quinoa.

http://authoritynutrition.com/11-pro...its-of-quinoa/

Nothing much more i can think of, just eat! don't count you're calories just eat!

Lion's and Tigers don't count their calories, when they get the opportunity they eat!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Master

1) Google Patrik Baboumian and Frank Medrano for inspiration, both vegan.

2) Any diet needs to be planned to ensure it is balanced and providing all the required nutrients. I would advise checking out the Vegan Society website for further information.
There are also a couple of vegan body building forums if that is any interest to you.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 11-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Guide
We are a species that evolved from hunters and gatherers. You need meat for the protein and fat and other nutrients that come from animal meat. There are certain meat that is better then others. Eat more small seafood (big fish contain mercury), and eat less red meat (acidic). You need to eat veggies and certain fruits like berries ofcourse.

If you really want to be healthy, cut out all foods with added sugar. No sugary drinks. Obesity, diabetes, and other issues became epidemic after the introduction of sugary drinks. No high carb foods like potatos, pasta, rice, bread, etc. Foods that are high in carbs lead to more health problems then just weight gain. Avoid certain fruits that contain only sugar and no other nutrients (like watermelon)Don't expect big pharma and doctors to tell you this because they are profiting off a society that is addicted to their carbs.

Shakes are a great way to unlock the nutrients in certain food. Focus in blending foods like beats, seaweed, kale, spinach, certain nuts, avocado seed (yes blend that big seed), Cocoa beans, etc. Some fruits like berries and apples can be added to add flavor to the smoothie.
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I have become comfortably numb.". - Pink Floyd

You'll find me here, in the back seat, just taking it all in
Old 11-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Everly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Back Seat
We are a species that evolved from hunters and gatherers. You need meat for the protein and fat and other nutrients that come from animal meat.

This is a myth. We do not need flesh for protein. There is protein in nearly everything and proteins are proteins.

Proteins are amino acids. Our bodies need nine amino acids (proteins) from food. The others are manufactured by our own bodies. Protein is protein and there isn't one source that's better than another. Even a quick search online will provide all the information. Here are three good charts that might surprise you.

Protein comparison chart

Another chart

And a chart that is very specific regarding each amino acid (protein)

There is ample evidence that our bodies are actually designed to be herbivorous. From our teeth to our digestive tracts to the enzymes our bodies produce, we aren't designed to eat flesh. (Did you know that humans do not produce the enzyme necessary to break down cholesterol? Carnivores and omnivores have it.)

Can we eat flesh? Of course. But just we can, doesn't mean we should. There are three factors to consider: Ethics (the pure evil cruelty involved in food animal production), health and environmental.

If you choose to consume flesh, do so. But do so with facts, not nonsense.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everly
This is a myth. We do not need flesh for protein. There is protein in nearly everything and proteins are proteins.

Proteins are amino acids. Our bodies need nine amino acids (proteins) from food. The others are manufactured by our own bodies. Protein is protein and there isn't one source that's better than another. Even a quick search online will provide all the information. Here are three good charts that might surprise you.

Protein comparison chart

Another chart

And a chart that is very specific regarding each amino acid (protein)

There is ample evidence that our bodies are actually designed to be herbivorous. From our teeth to our digestive tracts to the enzymes our bodies produce, we aren't designed to eat flesh. (Did you know that humans do not produce the enzyme necessary to break down cholesterol? Carnivores and omnivores have it.)

Can we eat flesh? Of course. But just we can, doesn't mean we should. There are three factors to consider: Ethics (the pure evil cruelty involved in food animal production), health and environmental.

If you choose to consume flesh, do so. But do so with facts, not nonsense.

Humans are capable of living with out meat as long as they get the nutrients from specific non meat foods. But id like to meet a body builder that has had success without meat or meat derived protein supplements. Yes there are terrible practices in animal farming and meat processing but this was not a factor before these evil practices began. It's not all about the protien. It's the fats and other nutrients aswell. Eggs are a power house of nutrients that are important for a body builder. I research nutrition for my own understanding, and there is so much conflict over meat. I had a feeling I would get back lash by bringing up meat in a vegan forum. Humans were hunter gatherers and is not myth. I recently read an article that they found shells from shellfish that had carvings on it from early Neanderthals. Of course early humans weren't eat gross cow meat and chicken with antibiotics or growth hormones, those practices didn't exist back then. Early humans ate what they had too to survive, and ate shellfish and other meat that was accessible (there was no such thing as a cow back then). Hunters were praised when they brought back a catch

In our current society, we are fortunate to have the opportunity to pick and choose the foods we eat. If you want to not eat meat, that's fine. Just don't expect to be a body builder as Takesfeeling explained. Meat has a surplus of calories that body builders need. While your facts are true, they don't help Takesfeelings receive enough calories that he would need to continue body building.

I will say that you shouldn't eat meat during cleansing practices. Cleansing is great once and a while to remove toxins from body. And we do subject ourselves to whatever that animal ingested before eat it's meat (why certain meats should be avoided). But plants can absorb toxins from the ground as well (why pesticides are so bad). Sugary food need to be avoided aswell during detox as sugar feeds yeast/candida and this creates toxins in the body.

While we worry about the merits of eating meat, our society is killing themselves with sugar. And that is where my issue lies.
The child is grown
The dream is gone

Old 11-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Master

That's an inappropriate post for the vegetarian/vegan section and likely to flame up an argument.

And it's totally untrue.

We have a daily requirement for protein. Daily.
Patrik Baboumian is a world-record holding VEGAN weightlifter
http://www.freefromharm.org/health-n...is-compassion/

The weight he lifted and carried is equivalent to that of a large horse, or 22 sacks of potatoes. And that feat accomplished entirely on plant protein.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofalbion
That's an inappropriate post for the vegetarian/vegan section and likely to flame up an argument.

And it's totally untrue.

We have a daily requirement for protein. Daily.
Patrik Baboumian is a world-record holding VEGAN weightlifter
http://www.freefromharm.org/health-n...is-compassion/

The weight he lifted and carried is equivalent to that of a large horse, or 22 sacks of potatoes. And that feat accomplished entirely on plant protein.

Interesting. I didn't see anywhere that mentioned his diet. So I did a little research on how he gets his protein. He of course eats many nuts. But he also eats soy products. There is much controversy over soy products but is still in the research and study phase, so I will refrain from getting into it. I see people recommending that Takesfeeling eats nuts and seeds, but nothing about soy products. So I stand corrected, you can be a body builder like Patrick, just be sure to eat a lot of soy like Patrick does.

Didn't realize this was a vegan forum at first. Sorry for bringing up meat in the first place. I will refrain from future comments on this thread to avoid arguments.
The child is grown
The dream is gone

Old 11-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Everly

A quick search using the term vegan bodybuilders brings up quite a few. Consuming flesh just isn't necessary for anything. One can choose it, but it simply is not necessary and there isn't a shred of reliable evidence that it is.

Whether one eats "meat" or not, a balanced diet provides all the nutrients we need. (This is aside from the issue of depleted nutrients in foods due to pollution, pesticides, herbicides, etc., which is an entirely different discussion.)

And you don't have to eat a lot of soy to be a bodybuilder, either. That's one person's choice. Did you look at the charts I posted above? There are many, many good non-flesh sources of proteins.

FWIW, this is a discussion forum and I don't mind discussing meat. But... Do the rules prohibit discussing meat? I'm curious b/c someone was complaining about a seemingly non-Christian post on the Christian section. So I'm wondering if each section has specific rules regarding diverse opinions.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Master

There aren't rules against it as such, but arguments on here are frowned upon. People have strong views, understandably, and it's always prudent to consider what reaction a post might get before posting it.
Everything is laid out in the 'forum rules'.