Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Aromatherapy

Old 25-05-2017, 05:43 AM
Master

Home madRecipies and Ideas

Whoops... that was a strange title LOL!

IT is meant to say 'home made cleaning and beauty product recipies'...
Carry on!

In a concious effort to reduce my consumption and environmental impact in I am embarking on making more of my own products using cheap store bought products as well as aromatherapy oils.

I am currently making alot of cleaning products and I make my own deodorant and perfumes and a fly catcher mix lol...but would like to step it up a notch or two and make all sorts of wonderous things...

Such as Dish liquid, shampoos and conditoners, face wash and fabric softeners... ect.. the world is my smelly oyster.

What do you make using aromatherapy? Would you like to share recipes and tips here?
Old 02-06-2017, 02:53 PM
Master
Hi RedEmber's, I make my own bubble baths, shampoo's & conditioner's with essential oils, I also make soap's and massage bar's ohh and wax melts & scented candles lol. I will post you some of the recepies you can also find some good tips on youtube.

Love GA x
Old 04-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Master
Hi RedEmbers here are a few thing's for you to try making I have made some of these myself for presents for myself & family as gift's ;-).
I have a book called Natural Beauty by Karen Gilbert where these recipies are from.

Geranium & Orange massage bars:
Equipment You will need a double boiler, Digital scales, plastic soap moulds or silicone muffin moulds.

Ingredients 2 & half oz (70g) cocoa butter, 1 0z (30g) Shea butter, 10 drops of Orange essential oil, 10 drops of geranium essential oil.
Melt the cooca & shea butter in the double boiler, or in a bowl over a pan of boiling water, remove from the heat when melted and add the essential oils, stirring well, then pour the mixture into the moulds & place in the fridge to set, when set take out of the moulds either wrap in tinfoil or greaseproof paper to keep clean. You can change the essential oils if you wish to something else but keep the same quantities. Massage bars can be used after bathing or showering to moisturize the skin.

Barbados body scrub: Equipment, Digital scales, a small glass bowl or mug, a teaspoon, and an airtight 100ml jar.
Ingredients: 50g solid coconut oil, 2 teaspoons (10mls) macadamia oil, 10 frops orange essential oil, 5 drops lemon oil, 5 drops lime oil, 60g raw unrefined brown sugar, you can substitute the sugar for demerara sugar which is what I used .
Add the coconut oil to the bowl or mug then add the macadamia oil to the mixture and stir them both vigorously with the teaspoon whipping it up till soft & fluffy, then add the essential oils & stir ensuring they are all mixed in well, add the brown sugar gradually to the mixture stirring carefully till all mixed in well, then spoon the mixture into the airtight jar, massage into damp skin especially any dry areas then rinse.

Both the massage bars & Barbados body scrubs smell divine, enjoy making, I will add some more recipes.

Love GA x
Old 04-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Master
Hi RedEmbers here are a few more that I have tried out from the book ;-)

Skin softening milk bath this one is Divine and you feel like a Goddess when bathing with this one lol.
Equipment: Mixing bowl, Digital scales, metal spoon, cheese grater, airtight 350ml jar.

Ingredients 1 vanilla pod (optional) or vanilla essential oil, 50g goat's milk powder, 100g sodium biacarbonate, 20 drops essential oil (optional), 10g cocoa butter, handful of dried rose petals (optional).
Place your cocoa butter in the fridge well in advance before making this as it will grate better & not melt quickly, you can also if not using vanilla essential oil use the pod in place score it gently then sit in the goats milk in the jar to infuse for around 24 hours, ok place your goat's milk and sodium biacarbonate in the mixing bowl, add any essential oils and mix well with a spoon, grate your cocoa butter into the bowl & stir gently, stir in most of the rose petals spoon all the mixture into the jar then add the remaining rose petals on top and seal the jar, add a small amount to your bath and enjoy, this one leaves your skin feeling so soft, also the essential oils you can add to the mix if you wish are ylang ylang, cederwood, sandalwood, rose, geranium, patchouli, vertiver. When I made this one for myself I just did the vanilla essential oil but experiment and see which you prefer just keep to 20 drops of essential oil when making this batch ;-).

Hemp & Honey lip balm.
Equipment: digital scales, double boiler, metal spoon, small glass jug, electric or battery operated milk frother, x4 15ml jars or tins.

Ingredients: 10g beeswax, 10g cocoa butter, 15g shea butter, 4 teaspoons almond oil, 1 teaspoon hemp oil, 2 teaspoons honey you can use manaku honey in place of the normal honey if you wish as I tried.
melt the beeswa x, cocoa butter & shea butter in the double boiler along with the almond oil, then add the hemp oil and honey & gently stir until everything is liquid form not oil soluble next use the frother when you stand the jug in a bowl of cold water and keep frothing until mixture is cool, keep mixing until mixture becomes thick then pour into the jar's or tin's to set. Wallah ;-D.

Love GA x
Old 04-06-2017, 11:17 PM
Master

Wow!

Thankyou Golden Angel.

These recipes sound amazing and luxurious, especially the lip balm and body milk.
You went to some effort to share them, thankyou.

I am going to start off trying the scrub because it may be the easiest to start with for now.

I made a similar one once with a group of young Mums. It was a class all about home made beauty products for cheaper alternatives (and happily a positive environmental impact as a result hehe).

I used Lavender oil and some kind of citrus oil I think.

Speaking of lavender oil, if you have a house fly problem - lavender oil seems to attract them. I made a mixture of cleaning solution by mixing lavender oil with eucalyptus oil in a dish of water and I left it out... I discovered that flies LOVE lavender oil.
They all met their end in a smelly heaven. It may not be a good solution if you are uncomfortable with the flies dying though (I did feel a tinge of guilt myself). It does make a much less toxic solution though if you are looking for a natural pest control.

My deodorant recipe is a work in progress. I am currently using bi - carb soda and coconut oil with my favorite essential oils about 10 drops total but I will have to try experimenting with other ingredients to help get the right consistency.
It currently sets too hard in winter or if put in the fridge and melts if the temperature gets too hot in summer.

I just made an amazing mold cleaner as well by mixing Theives oil (5 drops) with eucalyptus oil ( a big splosh) tea tree (3 drops) oil and lavender oil (2 drops)... all mixed in white vinegar.
I used it because everyone in my house was getting bad allergies including my poor cat...It worked extremely well... no more blocked sinuses, runny noses, sneezing and headaches!
Old 04-06-2017, 11:19 PM
Master

Do you have a place where you source your containers?

I'm looking for eco friendly and reusable containers for home made cosmetics as well as dish liquid dispensors and the like
Old 05-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Master
Hi RedEmbers you are most welcome my dear, I hope you enjoy making them and thank you for sharing your tip's too, very interesting ;-).

I Remember last year some time ago having a bash at making my own deodorant, I think I diluted rose water with distilled witch hazel and added lemongrass, cypress to the mix in a spray bottle. I did also try making my own toothpaste with coconut oil & bicarbonate of soda and tea-tree but if I'm honest it was rank lol ha ha ha.

I tend to buy my bottles, tins etc from amazon or The aromatherapy shop which you will find on amazon and reasonably priced too, I use another company so I will dig it out for you & post here. I store my items just in my spare room where it is cool and dry. If I'm also not mistaken there is a forum where member's post & chat about homemade recipies but for the life of me I can't remember what it is called I remember coming across it when I wanted to make homemade soap's & bath bomb's, I will check that book where I have posted the above & see what websites it mentions for you ;-).

Love GA x
Old 05-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Master
Hi RedEmbers I have found a forum that you may be interested in making your own products ;-)

www.soapmakingforum.com

Love GA x
Old 06-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Master
Hello :)

Do you have any tips for making scented candles? I have just got a double boiler, but before I used a pan and a glass jug. The candles I made were votives using beeswax. Once all of the wax was melted I let it cool down before adding the essential oil. Perhaps I didn't add enough oil? They would be great to give away as gifts.

Many thanks

martinet noir
Old 06-06-2017, 04:42 PM
Master
Hi MN I have made scented candles before by just using soya wax rather than beeswax, you melt the soya wax with a double boiler then let it cool a bit before adding essential oils, I then pored it into a teacup that had a matching saucer as a Christmas gift for my In-Laws. I hope this helps ;-), I plan to try making massage candles next as I have an Orli foot massage candle and aromatherapy body massage candles, it is basically shea butter, soya wax, mango butter all melted then adding essential oils then pouring into little jugs or tins.

Love GA x