Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 08-06-2016, 05:54 PM
Master
Contemplation

I have been contemplating why is death viewed with such angst? I went to a funeral of a friend and after the funeral a woman I knew came over to me and said “I notice you are not crying,” as though that was an indicator of how I felt about the deceased.

Funerals are for the living not the dead, and so is grieving and mourning a person’s death. To console ourselves there are those who will say about a loved one who has died that “they are now in a better place.” Yet in what I perceive as our own selfishness, many have a hard time letting go.

I have often wondered how those on the other side perceive the way human beings act regarding human death. If they wonder why do human beings cry when a human dies and enters our realm? Understanding that it is all about loss in this human existence, where everything is illusive and nothing is permanent.

That is why it is called an illusion; because it is in constant change, and that change includes the coming and going of beings. Life is one; life is what we are, and there is no such thing as this life or the next life. The life we have now gives birth to the life we have on the other side.

Just as life on the other side gave birth to this life. They are all part of the same process; when we die as human beings we go to a place that is very familiar to us, even if we have forgotten that familiarity. On some level, in some way, we have been there before, and it is our forgetfulness which may cause the angst.

Would human life lose its’ value if we remembered? Why consider the other side to be more precious, or human life to be more precious than the other side? There would be no human existence without the spiritual world and evidently human existence has some value to the spiritual world. There is a symbiotic relationship between the two, and actually the two are one.

When I first learned how to do quiet meditation I had a very profound and powerful experience, a feeling like no other which I previously had, and in my silent meditation one word escaped from my mouth, a word with no thoughts attached, and that word was “home.” It felt like home in ways like I have never experienced home before, and it was right within me all the while; even as I searched for it elsewhere.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Administrator
I never cry at funerals never have,why cry for going to a better place?we all come from spirit we all go back to spirit.funerals now are more often than not called a celebration of life,which to me is more fitting.all wearing black is outdated most times people prefer to see color.i agree with that concept,then you get the older generation and the more traditional people want tears and wear black,not all but some prefer that,

Namaste
Old 27-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Seeker

I've cried, but only because I was going to miss the person I was crying for.
Old 28-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Guide
Oh, so many reasons... Western culture only touches upon the matters of death and birth indirectly, and with a hundred-yard pole. The angst, the sorrow-- well, of course, we so often perceive the dead (and spirit) to be distinctly separate from us, millions of light-years away in some untouchable realm when of course that is not the case at all.

You described it perfectly and succinctly in your post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
Just as life on the other side gave birth to this life. They are all part of the same process; when we die as human beings we go to a place that is very familiar to us, even if we have forgotten that familiarity. On some level, in some way, we have been there before, and it is our forgetfulness which may cause the angst.

Would human life lose its’ value if we remembered? Why consider the other side to be more precious, or human life to be more precious than the other side? There would be no human existence without the spiritual world and evidently human existence has some value to the spiritual world. There is a symbiotic relationship between the two, and actually the two are one.

When I first learned how to do quiet meditation I had a very profound and powerful experience, a feeling like no other which I previously had, and in my silent meditation one word escaped from my mouth, a word with no thoughts attached, and that word was “home.” It felt like home in ways like I have never experienced home before, and it was right within me all the while; even as I searched for it elsewhere.
^ All so very true. Death is a door.... We are traveling homeward. I feel the 'spiritual world' is simply a reflection of the physical.

And as for selfishness, well..There is always the dull, gnawing ache (after someone dies) upon realizing that any one can be taken from you at any time. And that they were never yours. That and the seemingly random and chaotic manner in which death waltzes in, out and between-- I for one have always experienced a brief ego-panic in the past when hearing about a death of an acquaintance. As if, by mere proximity, death has touched me as well. (So yes, much of our angst is less about them and more about us!)

..Though in New Orleans, at least, there's sometimes jazz funerals! c:

I definitely do not want a mournful funeral... I want a wake in Ireland, I want a drunken moonlight garden party with howling wolves and a live band playing impassioned and joyful renditions of some of my old favorite songs. Afterward they can plant a tree on my grave..somewhere near a river, or the sea..And release these floating paper fire lanterns at twilight, with their hearts' dearest wishes pinned upon them for my spirit to bless and see. c:
Old 01-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Master
Although our soul is eternal, our mind, our memories, only lives once. When a person dies, that mother ****er is DEAD bruh, dead. Their soul energy has returned to oneness, and the you that you knew for so long, is gone. You can cry for that, that is totally justified. This is a common eastern belief, that our mind is true as us, a limited and finite form of us, the peak of our pyramid so to say, and that although our souls is eternal, the truth of this life, this mind, this ego, is no less real than the greater beyond, what you call "beyond the illusion".

What you forget, is that the beliefs you hold so dear, are only one path to the divine gate. And it is a common path, and apparently has yielded fruit for you, so you become convinced the otherside is real, that beyond is real, and that form is not real. But this is just one of the many paths, and not necessarily the right or better or best one, it is just another one, and you seem to have forgotten that.

In my world, the yin and yang, are both expressions of infinity. The world of form is as real to me as the beyond. Those who cry, they are in my world of forms, and they are not practicing beyond as a way to reach self-realization or to understand God and spirituality. Also it's helpeful to think of people as on a spectrum, rarely is someone entirely yin or yang, most have a little of both. Perhaps you want to cry deep down, but because the formless fruit has been so sweet, you deny the pleasure and the pain that comes with it.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:43 AM
Master
hello

Although our soul is eternal, our mind, our memories, only lives once. When a person dies, that mother ****er is DEAD bruh, dead. Their soul energy has returned to oneness, and the you that you knew for so long, is gone. You can cry for that, that is totally justified. This is a common eastern belief, that our mind is true as us, a limited and finite form of us, the peak of our pyramid so to say, and that although our souls is eternal, the truth of this life, this mind, this ego, is no less real than the greater beyond, what you call "beyond the illusion".

What you forget, is that the beliefs you hold so dear, are only one path to the divine gate. And it is a common path, and apparently has yielded fruit for you, so you become convinced the otherside is real, that beyond is real, and that form is not real. But this is just one of the many paths, and not necessarily the right or better or best one, it is just another one, and you seem to have forgotten that.

In my world, the yin and yang, are both expressions of infinity. The world of form is as real to me as the beyond. Those who cry, they are in my world of forms, and they are not practicing beyond as a way to reach self-realization or to understand God and spirituality. Also it's helpeful to think of people as on a spectrum, rarely is someone entirely yin or yang, most have a little of both. Perhaps you want to cry deep down, but because the formless fruit has been so sweet, you deny the pleasure and the pain that comes with it.