Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 21-09-2018, 02:34 AM
ribiq ribiq is offline
Knower
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 236
  ribiq's Avatar
In the pursuit of learning, every day something is acquired.
In the pursuit of Tao, every day something is dropped.




Yield and overcome;
Bend and be straight;
Empty and be full;
Wear out and be new;
Have little and gain;
Have much and be confused.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 21-09-2018, 09:57 PM
FallingLeaves FallingLeaves is online now
Master
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,531
 
In the absence of names
Lies the origin of heavens and earth
The presence of names
Is mother to the 10000 things.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 25-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Still_Waters Still_Waters is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 447
  Still_Waters's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribiq
In the pursuit of learning, every day something is acquired.
In the pursuit of Tao, every day something is dropped.




Yield and overcome;
Bend and be straight;
Empty and be full;
Wear out and be new;
Have little and gain;
Have much and be confused.
"In the pursuit of Tao, every day something is dropped".

That says it all. As the Buddha reportedly said, there is nothing to learn (do) but much to unlearn (undo). I like that quote.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 25-09-2018, 02:42 PM
Still_Waters Still_Waters is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 447
  Still_Waters's Avatar
I'm not sure how many are you are familiar with "The Unknown Teachings of Lao Tzu, the Hua Hu Ching". These teachings are reportedly the teachings given in inner Taoist circles that were passed on through oral tradition and eventually written down.

QUOTE:

"Just remain in the center watching. Then forget that you are there."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 28-09-2018, 11:14 PM
FallingLeaves FallingLeaves is online now
Master
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,531
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I'm not sure how many are you are familiar with "The Unknown Teachings of Lao Tzu, the Hua Hu Ching". These teachings are reportedly the teachings given in inner Taoist circles that were passed on through oral tradition and eventually written down.

QUOTE:

"Just remain in the center watching. Then forget that you are there."

it has been suggested that that book is a forgery, written in a battle for supremacy against the buddhists... (for example see the notes on wikipedia, there are also other web sources that claim this more voricifously).

Personally when I first saw that quote I thought 'buddhism' because of the specifics of the reference to the 'center', but, it does have a quality found also in the tao te ching, so I really don't know where it came from.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 28-09-2018, 11:16 PM
FallingLeaves FallingLeaves is online now
Master
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,531
 
by the way the history I knew of Lao Tzu is he basically left civilization and someone implored him to write something before he went, hence the tao te ching. Is that not correct?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 29-09-2018, 12:45 AM
Still_Waters Still_Waters is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 447
  Still_Waters's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
it has been suggested that that book is a forgery, written in a battle for supremacy against the buddhists... (for example see the notes on wikipedia, there are also other web sources that claim this more voricifously).

Personally when I first saw that quote I thought 'buddhism' because of the specifics of the reference to the 'center', but, it does have a quality found also in the tao te ching, so I really don't know where it came from.

You may indeed be correct. It's hard to say. In any case, I did like the book but, I must add, I look very favorably on Buddhism as well.

You are also correct that there was indeed an intense rivalry between the Taoists and the Buddhists in China. Your points are quite plausible. Thank you for sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 29-09-2018, 12:47 AM
Still_Waters Still_Waters is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 447
  Still_Waters's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
by the way the history I knew of Lao Tzu is he basically left civilization and someone implored him to write something before he went, hence the tao te ching. Is that not correct?

That is my understanding as well though there are many who dispute that story and say that "Lao Tzu" is really a composite of a number of other sages. As I mentioned in my previous post, such things are often difficult to assess. Therefore, I rely more on the content and use what I consider to be wise and beneficial.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 29-09-2018, 08:03 PM
FallingLeaves FallingLeaves is online now
Master
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,531
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
That is my understanding as well though there are many who dispute that story and say that "Lao Tzu" is really a composite of a number of other sages. As I mentioned in my previous post, such things are often difficult to assess. Therefore, I rely more on the content and use what I consider to be wise and beneficial.

yeah i agree. But in this society it is hard to make a difference between all the competing stories dancing around in the mind like a pretty light show, and the demand to know everything's exact place in the scheme of things.

As far as to the wise and beneficial there could be construed to be a danger therein... but of course to the extent you learn not to try to get anywhere such danger jsut kind of disolves

I haven't followed buddhism before, for personal reasons. Although I suppose it is a bit much to be so stuck in just one genre. That said I'm not sure there is really anything new under the sun, beyond different colored candles.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-10-2018, 12:29 PM
Still_Waters Still_Waters is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 447
  Still_Waters's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
yeah i agree. But in this society it is hard to make a difference between all the competing stories dancing around in the mind like a pretty light show, and the demand to know everything's exact place in the scheme of things.

As far as to the wise and beneficial there could be construed to be a danger therein... but of course to the extent you learn not to try to get anywhere such danger jsut kind of disolves

I haven't followed buddhism before, for personal reasons. Although I suppose it is a bit much to be so stuck in just one genre. That said I'm not sure there is really anything new under the sun, beyond different colored candles.

You are so right about all the "competing stories dancing around". I take what resonates most with me and go with it.

I'm not sure if you've read "The Book of Balance and Harmony", which is a renowned anthology of writings by a thirteenth-century master of the Complete Reality School of Taoism. There is one quote in there that I really like.

"Effecting ultimate openness, keeping utterly quiet, .... I thereby watch the return".

A variation of that is: "In utter emptiness and complete silence, simply watch the return (to original nature)."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums