Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 13-09-2016, 11:57 AM
Newbie ;)

What I am aware of in meditation. What's next?

When I meditate, I close my eyes and first breathe and relax for a few minutes to get comfortable, and then I start exploring what is there in my inner world. First thing I notice is the mind, the thoughts, sometimes there are other thoughts that are different from the original mind, then I was aware of a present self, like my self as the human, who is meditating, of my breathing happening, there were also different sensations in my body.

I never followed a certain school of meditation, I never had a teacher, I just looked on the internet for instruction, and I've been meditating on my own for a few years. My question is, what to do next in meditation? I feel like maybe I don't know what I am doing. What's the purpose of it?
Old 13-09-2016, 01:55 PM
Ascender

To find peace and stillness within and THEN to bring that out into your everyday awake life.
Old 16-09-2016, 09:54 AM
Ascender

Also to become more Aware of your Immediate Outer Reality.....Sounds,Sights,Feelings...everything, without getting too caught up in them.

I think you are doing very well with the internet as your teacher.
Old 16-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Ascender

Meditation should not end when you open your eyes.....not sure if that will make sense to you but it will if you keep at it.
Old 17-09-2016, 08:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi7
When I meditate, I close my eyes and first breathe and relax for a few minutes to get comfortable, and then I start exploring what is there in my inner world. First thing I notice is the mind, the thoughts, sometimes there are other thoughts that are different from the original mind, then I was aware of a present self, like my self as the human, who is meditating, of my breathing happening, there were also different sensations in my body.

I never followed a certain school of meditation, I never had a teacher, I just looked on the internet for instruction, and I've been meditating on my own for a few years. My question is, what to do next in meditation? I feel like maybe I don't know what I am doing. What's the purpose of it?

You're doing fine and have good method, so all good.
Old 19-09-2016, 12:54 PM
Suspended
Knower

keep doing it as long as you can and try to go deep inside thoughts and as far as purpose of it concerned..meditation is done for inner satisfaction and peace and stability of life which you will get by practicing...time doesn't matter...it's upto you how quickly you can remove all your stress of life and relax.

Quote:

Old 20-09-2016, 03:50 PM
Experiencer
Quote:

what you are doing is good
you should continue
focusing on sensations, sensations will lessen
focus on thoughts and the thoughts will decrease
focus on your breath then everything else will disappear
simply be aware of this lessening
soon
this state will follow you everywhere
• • • • •
Look softer
Breather deeper
Old 22-09-2016, 05:29 AM
Suspended

There is no " next " in meditation.
Old 22-09-2016, 01:54 PM
Newbie ;)

I can relate to where you might be at right now. I started to really sit down and actively practice meditation not too long ago. But I've been aware and tapped into spirituality way before so. As some have said, there is no goal in meditation.

You said it yourself. It is to still the mind and body enough so one is fully aware. It allows for one to tap into a "higher consciousness" at this state. Being that everything is impermanent, one will go back to normal states of being. But I think it is important to take what you got from meditation into your everyday living. I also have not had a teacher and just practiced on my own, and what I know of meditation.

Though I have heard to meditate with intention. Because if there is no intention. Naturally there will be an unknown force driving your consciousness. So the whole idea of nothingness I don't sit on it too well. Even if there's nothing, there's something as simple as acceptance. So I guess just meditate on it!
Old 23-09-2016, 11:34 AM
Pathfinder
Quote:

Depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you have no goals, no paths, then whatever you are doing is fine.

There are many kinds of meditations, or introspective practices. For the lack of terms, they are all called "meditation". The practices range from simple relaxation of the mind (popular in west and thats what most common people do) to advanced practices like Nirvikalpa Samadhi.

If you wish to explore more, you need a goal and a teacher too. All the best .