Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 06-09-2016, 03:58 AM
Master
A question to the experienced meditators

Is it normal to notice in meditation the breath not moving in the body?

I was doing a new style of meditation recently where by I was focused on the space between breaths and then I was aware of my self not breathing and not moving in my normal breathing.

At first I was curious and a little panicky in the realization but nothing major. I did notice that as soon as I became unfocused in this way, lots of psychic stuff came flooding in, which was why I was doing this type of meditation to begin with, to support myself to move beyond it.

I did move beyond but part of me was confused with this new awareness in my body. SO rather than just do it and not know if this is a normal way to meditate, I thought I would ask about it to ensure I was not dying because initially it was quite a shock for me and I thought I was entering death (perceived idea in my head only at that time of course) Is this normal?

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 06-09-2016, 10:58 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesflow

I was doing a new style of meditation recently where by I was focused on the space between breaths and then I was aware of my self not breathing and not moving in my normal breathing.

At first I was curious and a little panicky in the realization but nothing major. I did notice that as soon as I became unfocused in this way, lots of psychic stuff came flooding in, which was why I was doing this type of meditation to begin with, to support myself to move beyond it.

I did move beyond but part of me was confused with this new awareness in my body. SO rather than just do it and not know if this is a normal way to meditate, I thought I would ask about it to ensure I was not dying because initially it was quite a shock for me and I thought I was entering death (perceived idea in my head only at that time of course) Is this normal?

I have noticed my breathing stop before, but it starts up again after a little while. Other times it moves so slightly it's almost imperceptible to notice, but my breath meditation is pretty well refined, so I can feel very subtle movements of air. Usually the depth of mind and the lessening of breath go together, so when the mind gets really still the breathing becomes very slight, and it can stop like that too - which I think is a paranormal sort of thing. I don't know what psychic stuff means but it sounds like something interesting is happening.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:41 PM
Master
Thankyou that was really helpful Gem.
I haven't experienced it before but I had something interesting happen today in real life that showed me a new level of stillness in my mind and emotional body (no reaction with an incoming force that was pretty intense and wouldn't normally be upsetting for me, that in the past would have had my mind and reactivity in overdrive) I stayed really present in myself with it all and I went directly to calm clear response.

So both what your sharing about depth of mind and less breath seems to fit this too.

Oh my I feel excited. Like I am having a break through in myself that feels really rewarding right now. I will be able to meditate now with a more conscious awareness of what is happening thankyou.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 06-09-2016, 11:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Thankyou that was really helpful Gem.
I haven't experienced it before but I had something interesting happen today in real life that showed me a new level of stillness in my mind and emotional body (no reaction with an incoming force that was pretty intense and wouldn't normally be upsetting for me, that in the past would have had my mind and reactivity in overdrive) I stayed really present in myself with it all and I went directly to calm clear response.

To me that's ^ the key to it all.

Quote:
So both what your sharing about depth of mind and less breath seems to fit this too.

Oh my I feel excited. Like I am having a break through in myself that feels really rewarding right now. I will be able to meditate now with a more conscious awareness of what is happening thankyou.

It just sounds fantastic to me.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
To me that's ^ the key to it all.

Yes, yes for me too. To have it carry over into real life experience is so rewarding for me. To feel and see that breakthrough in myself manifest into being, it is like that heavy burden of thirty years of conscious walking to break free in myself, suddenly a light is turned on in me. Some people dream of magnificent things in life, to see and feel this kind of dream come alive in me is like the most magnificent for me..

Quote:
It just sounds fantastic to me.

It is.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:21 AM
Master
Quote:

Its normal for the types of meditation where you watch your breath. Basically watching an internal process tends to disrupt it.

Chances are it won't cause much harm. Basically you will pass out and resume normal breathing. That is assuming you don't fall on something hard or sharp.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:32 AM
Master
Hi. Yes, it's normal for meditation practices that tend toward samadhi (deep calm, oneness, unification). That type of meditation, or that inner state, is different from samatha or smrti (mindfulness). In samatha you tend to be aware of the breathing process and thoughts that flit through your mind.

You see, you do not necessarily need to have a teacher disciplining you in either samatha or samadhi, because these are capacities of being human - and it seems you've developed these for yourself. (Am I correct here?)

These terms are just labels. But even though the words derive from a particular tradition, it doesn't mean that you've forced yourself into a 'prescribed discipline' or are following the tradition. You're learning from within. You're experiencing the actuality of these states through your own exploration.

You won't stop breathing permanently. I very much doubt you will pass out, either. Your meditation is deepening, and you're expanding your range of experience.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
Its normal for the types of meditation where you watch your breath. Basically watching an internal process tends to disrupt it.

Chances are it won't cause much harm. Basically you will pass out and resume normal breathing. That is assuming you don't fall on something hard or sharp.

lol the hard and sharp bit made me laugh.

Its really funny because reading what you wrote about passing out, is something I did as a two year old throwing tantrums apparently and the world around me went into fear of my death I believe. So I see a connection in all this for myself more so. I held my breath to get my way, my siblings panicked and said they fell to their knees and prayed to God I wouldn't die. Apparently my father slapped me a few times in that process to get me to breath... ( We wonder why we get screwed up ay lol )

Old 07-09-2016, 12:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanemon
Hi. Yes, it's normal for meditation practices that tend toward samadhi (deep calm, oneness, unification). That type of meditation, or that inner state, is different from samatha or smrti (mindfulness). In samatha you tend to be aware of the breathing process and thoughts that flit through your mind.

Ok I now see the difference through this offering so thanks.

Quote:
You see, you do not necessarily need to have a teacher disciplining you in either samatha or samadhi, because these are capacities of being human - and it seems you've developed these for yourself. (Am I correct here?)

Life is my teacher, I am my own teacher learning..

Quote:
These terms are just labels. But even though the words derive from a particular tradition, it doesn't mean that you've forced yourself into a 'prescribed discipline' or are following the tradition. You're learning from within. You're experiencing the actuality of these states through your own exploration.

You won't stop breathing permanently. I very much doubt you will pass out, either. Your meditation is deepening, and you're expanding your range of experience.

Yes I understand. So do you experience this when you meditate to know all this? And if you do is it consistently occurring during your own meditations? Do you settle into that space and stay for long periods without noticing your body or breath?

Old 07-09-2016, 02:47 AM
Master
Quote:
So do you experience this when you meditate to know all this? And if you do is it consistently occurring during your own meditations? Do you settle into that space and stay for long periods without noticing your body or breath?
Yes I'm speaking from experience. Yes, whenever I sit for 10 or 15 minutes, I'll have periods of that experience. If I sit longer, the periods of "breathless" and inner unification tend to be longer. I never have fainted, never fallen over.

If you go onto this page and scroll down to post #22, I tell how I arrived at the experience. But I've talked with people who have arrived at it in a number of different ways.
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...t=77918&page=3