Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Books

Old 17-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Aset90

Bhagavad Gita Assisstance

Soooo im delving into this book full force. Im only on ch three but i have a problemo

Krishna explains to Arjana that basically by being entirely selfless, we obtain perfection and our incarnations cease as we have cleared all karma, etc. an exqmple was, if one makes food for ones own satisfaction, that is selfish and thus builds up karmic debt and etc. ghandi practicd selflessness from roughly my age (22) as well as st. Theresa and so on

How in the world are we to be THAT selfless? I have always been into volunteerism and philanthropy, at least in all my years in schooling, but now that im trying to begin a career and so on, any money i make is either saved or put toward necessities. I just have a hard time understanding exactly HOW TO practice being so utterly selfless. Should we never be ambitious? Should we never WANT anything?
Old 17-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Experiencer
Maybe you should take a gradual, progressive approach.
Maybe you can volunteer for any charity or church of your choice, let's say one day every month for a start?
Maybe you can decide to commit to giving X amount of money every month to a charity?
Then, little by little, it will be more. But you can't change overnight

Instagram: Prananina
Old 17-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Aset90

Good idea. Gradual!
Old 17-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Experiencer
You know, it's like people who decide to become vegetarian because of their spiritual development. At some point, the frustration caused by not eating meat everyday (if it was what they were used to) creates more negative energy than eating meat, if it makes sense
My reply is very down to earth (my posts usually are, lol), but I think moderation is a very important thing in life. Just because Gandhi or Mother Teresa managed to be selfless as your age doesn't mean that you can, or that you should, or that it's your path/your way. Take your time.

Old 17-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Aset90

I completely understand and agree w the vegetarian comparison. That's absolutely true. I never thought i would have to go further in my spiritual dvt than altering my mindset because once that gradually becomes conquered, actions, thoughts and words also change for the better and become more aligned with your renewed self. Only renewed due to knowledge.

It's no secret that I'm obsessive. It's a major thing that needs to be worked on and you touched on it here. I'm reading this Indian epic thinkin "I must do exactly as they say. I must become ghandi etc" and I stress the hell out! I straw myself right out because "gradual" or "eventual" never evencross my mind--it's always nownownow. Thanks for making it clear, again, that I need to really prioritize that aspect of myself and work at it.
Old 17-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Experiencer
you're welcome
To continue with the silly comparisons, I read once in a book about Astral Projection for beginners that we need to apply the concept of "will/less will" (if you stalk my past posts, you will find the source and who invented this expression ). Basically the idea is that with everything in life, and especially for spiritual progress, we need to "will" (want something). It's pretty obvious, it's the same idea as reciting affirmations to manifest something good in your life. But at the same time we have to practice "less will" which means letting go of excessive expectations. If you expect something too much, your mind is not available to observe the subtle changes and shifts. Plus, wanting too much puts too much pressure on you and the challenge becomes too stressful.
Just a thought, could it be that becoming less excessive might be your first big lesson to learn? :d

Old 17-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Aset90

Sheesh! I think my first big lessn was/is patience. And becoming less excessive is a close second. That was an apt way to put it. Lessening wills. So much to ponder!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Master

Aset90 I would also say it's about doing your best in your life, it's not just about giving selflessly but if you are designed to make a fortune in life - then go for it, but what you do with your fortune will be telling. Arjuna wasn't for a quiet and peaceful life, he really battled through what was right and wrong before making a stand. But always he was seeking the higher path in what he did.

So go for the volunteering if you believe that is your calling but don't do it to make yourself feel that you are doing what you should so it becomes a tick box exercise. I gave up volunteering when I noticed I was compartmentalising it and becoming insufferably smug about my 1hr a week. Now what I do / give to others is different and more creative but not part of an organised regime and yes, I could do more.

It's a beautiful book the Gita.
Old 15-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Master
Think there are quite a vew versions in English , which version are you reading Aset?

(This is the first time I have visited the 'Books' folder, I was thinking of reading the Castaneda books again and was hoping maybe there was a thread on swapping books over the net, save buying them all again)
Old 16-11-2012, 01:31 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aset90
Soooo im delving into this book full force. Im only on ch three but i have a problemo

Krishna explains to Arjana that basically by being entirely selfless, we obtain perfection and our incarnations cease as we have cleared all karma, etc. an exqmple was, if one makes food for ones own satisfaction, that is selfish and thus builds up karmic debt and etc. ghandi practicd selflessness from roughly my age (22) as well as st. Theresa and so on

How in the world are we to be THAT selfless? I have always been into volunteerism and philanthropy, at least in all my years in schooling, but now that im trying to begin a career and so on, any money i make is either saved or put toward necessities. I just have a hard time understanding exactly HOW TO practice being so utterly selfless. Should we never be ambitious? Should we never WANT anything?
Ideally yes, but with some modulations. The selflessness referred to means that one should not do thing for oneself, ignoring the conditions around and within us.
It is doing what the situation we are in demands. Does a young person have to build a career? Yes. Does one need resources and money to achieve a goal one wants to achieve? Sure, at least some. If the world presents one with a problem and we have the ability to do something about it then we should want to do something about it and be ambitious and try our best to resolve it.

Remember that you are also part of the world and that above goes for everyone. Other people have goals and if you are uneducated, unskilled, lazy, disinterested and living in poverty then this is no good for collaboration towards a better world.

The selflessness Krishna refers to is being being free from egoic selfishness where things are done to make oneself feel better because one has some perceived lack or defect. It does not mean that one has to disregard one's legitimate needs and aspirations.