Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 12-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidMoob
Sorry to blacken your fantasy of free range eggs Belle but the truth is the truth...just remembered as well that if barn chickens have 'access' to an outside area i.e. a door going to a small courtyard, they can be sold as free range also... basically the term 'free range' is a marketing coy to make more money! But there is bound to be a local farmer or person who has chickens running around their land and sells their eggs i.e. real free range eggs?

I guess, as some Buddhists etc. say, as long as you are fully conscious and aware of where your food is from and how it has been treated, then you can make the best choice for you and your journey. I personally eat vegan but have always said that if I were lost in the wild I would eat animals for survival. And I've always been sayin that if I knew a local farmer who sold proper free range eggs I would eat them. But after what Tobi said about chickens getting attached to their eggs etc I think I may have to rethink that, thank you Tobi for bringing that to my attention!

And don't forget the male chicks didn't even get as far as the 'overcrowded barn' or factory farm, they ended up gassed or thrown alive into the mincing machine....('Eggmageddon' thread.)

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 12-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Knower
Very true Knightofalbion...On the farm where I worked we grew the chicks for 18 weeks, and right up until the last weeks we would find male chickens in with the females and have to chase them out and snap their necks...no chance of life, no chance of freedom, no budget to keep them on the side...what's the point they make no profit!

"Do not swim, float." - Osho
Old 12-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecthalion
Surely, all meat is unhappy. Even after the most comfortable life, having it cut short by the horrendous, inevitable trip to the slaughterhouse makes it so, doesn't it?

I don't know - you may well be right but I've not made it to that position yet.

I guess I'm basing my premise on the old hunter scenario - that men have been eating meat for as long as long can be.

The debate - vegetarian / vegan etc - it's difficult.

I'm loathed to head one way or another until I find it come from me and my calling. Trust me, I'm open to a calling although I would really miss a lot of meat as the flavour is so yum - but to me at the moment it's about ethical farming and treating the animal as a whole and a spirit which renders the meat / animal product ok.

I once heard (recently) that cows had a collective spirit and that they had agreed to give themselves to humans for nourishment. This was their dharma as it were. However, they are unhappy with the disrespect and are considering withdrawing from giving themselves to agreement and leaving the earth.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidMoob
Very true Knightofalbion...On the farm where I worked we grew the chicks for 18 weeks, and right up until the last weeks we would find male chickens in with the females and have to chase them out and snap their necks...no chance of life, no chance of freedom, no budget to keep them on the side...what's the point they make no profit!

oh it just gets worse.

no more eggs. no more CAKE!?

No wonder mother earth cries out in pain.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Knower
Oh Belle there is plenty of vegan cake in my house, baked one other day too and its still moist! I'll give ya the recipe as a starter for you. I'm no cook either so this is a really basic recipe that I use but is still pretty darn tasty. A proper vegan chef will bang out cake that compete with any animal laden product easily!

I guess the veggie thing seems hard, more socially at first, but most will tell you that its actually really easy in today's modern society at least...I was lucky that I had a girlfriend that bullied me into lol but once I ate the food and did the research it was a no brainer for me personally!

Anyway back to cake!

This is my British method/ingredients - 1/2 is half
Oven - gas mark 8/230C
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 cup sunflower oil
1 cup milk (vegan milk ((soya, almond, rice etc)) in my house, never tried it with a cows milk)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp vinegar

Mix all dry ingredients together
Add in a wet ingredients and stir em all together, except vinegar
Add in vinegar and give a little stir
Put into your two favourite baking tins and bake for around thirty minutes - no risk of salmonella coz there be no eggs!
Ice with your favourite icing, add jam if need be!

"Do not swim, float." - Osho
Old 12-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks LucidMoob for the recipe. It sounds yummy!

I also found this:

http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyl...rrot-cake.aspx

(Vegan cake recipes. They all sound pretty easy to do.

I think it's about just getting used to vegan recipes. Then once we do that it comes as second-nature, and you think "why did I ever need eggs to make cake?" It's probably just a question of habit.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Master

LucidMoob, let me know when it's in the oven and I'll be on my way.

Oh I wish.

Thank you friends.

Small steps. Small steps.