Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 19-03-2013, 08:33 PM
AbbeyWilcox

Religious Parallels - help?

I am really curious about common themes in every organized religion. I have been Googling stuff like a mad woman but the results aren't what I'm looking for.
Perhaps someone here knows of a website that can help me, or perhaps they know some stuff already.

So, what are some commonalities in all major organized religions? By commonalities I mean similar practices, rituals, how many gods/goddesses they worship, etc.

Thanks so much!

EDIT - yay for law of attraction, I just stumbled upon a wonderful website with lots of info on it. So ignore this thread I guess. Sorry for making an irrelevant thread! D:
Old 20-03-2013, 03:33 AM
Experiencer

There are religious parallels when it comes to the elements.If a certain land is susceptible to drought, flooding, and other natural phenomenon. If there is a large body of water within proximity – it is fair to assume there is something within the scripture, or religious texts, that mentions flooding.
Old 28-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Bluegreen

http://religionpoisons.wordpress.com...gical-figures/

http://framingbusiness.net/archives/232
Old 28-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Animus27

Heh... what?

I've seen my share of misinformation... but damn! This is a new kind of eye roll inducer.

I was especially amused by the Buddha being cited as dying on a cross. Which is an outright lie.

Old 28-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Bluegreen

The Buddha died of eating pork.

"The exoteric or allegorical biography of Gautama Buddha shows this great Sage dying of an indigestion of pork and rice.... This is explained as an allegorical reference to his having been born in the "Boar," or Varaha-Kalpa when Brahma assumed the form of that animal to raise the Earth out of the "Waters of Space."
And as the Brahmins descend direct from Brahma and are, so to speak, identified with him; and as they are at the same time the mortal enemies of Buddha and Buddhism, we have the curious allegorical hint and combination. Brahminism (of the Boar, or Varaha Kalpa) has slaughtered the religion of Buddha in India, swept it away from its face; therefore Buddha, identified with his philosophy, is said to have died from the effects of eating of the flesh of a wild hog.

The idea alone of one who established the most rigorous vegetarianism and respect for animal life -- even to refusing to eat eggs as vehicles of a latent future life -- dying of a meat indigestion, is absurdly contradictory..."

http://www.sacred-texts.com/the/sd/sd1-2-07.htm
Old 28-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Master

Watch the movie Zeitgeist on YouTube.
Old 28-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Master

Environment plays a large part in how a religion develops. You could look for similarities based on that. The most common element seems to be their purpose in a society. They can be tied to many things.. birth, marriage, laws, death, etc. The big difference today is we see religion as separate from every day life, whereas older religions didn't have that separation. Everything was seen as spiritual, but now with science we have the idea of physical and spiritual. Even so, religion is still a part of major ceremonies. I would think that is common to all.

As far as beliefs that are common to all, I'm not aware of anything like that. Beliefs are so varied it would be hard to find one that is common to all. Some try to say that all religions are the same, but that's usually to try to reinforce their own beliefs.
Old 29-03-2013, 12:17 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by in progress
Watch the movie Zeitgeist on YouTube.
Their section on Christianity is half-baked scholarly theories that have been nearly universally rejected with a good measure of lies thrown in to help dupe people.
Old 29-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegreen
The Buddha died of eating pork.

That is the main consensus. Which is why I'm baffled why the list of "similarities" is brazen enough to cite the Buddha as being executed by crucifixion when there's no tradition that even holds anything remotely like that happening.
Old 29-03-2013, 04:17 AM
missrachel300

Just curious. What was the website you found Abbey?