Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Music

Old 04-03-2017, 01:55 AM
Master
Many purists will disagree.... But I think Metallica's "Enter Sandman" is one of the greatest metal songs ever.....and I've pretty much heard it all!

I'm living on "tropical standard time"!!!

Yes I Am a Pirate! 200 years too late....the cannons don't thunder...there's nothing to plunder...I'm an over 40 victim of fate!
Old 04-03-2017, 02:11 AM
Master
"Made in Japan" is my favorite album.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Ascender
yep i have seen Iron Maiden live 3 times in the late 80's, also got to see AC/DC live along with many other band's.
Still love AC/DC. I enjoy listening to led zeppelin, pink floyd.
Love GA x
Old 04-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Angel
yep i have seen Iron Maiden live 3 times in the late 80's, also got to see AC/DC live along with many other band's.
Still love AC/DC. I enjoy listening to led zeppelin, pink floyd.
Love GA x

I love AC/DC and Pink Floyd but don't consider either of them to be metal......
By definition. .....metal is a form of music without a blues inspired background which they both have.

By that definition. ...Judas priest was the very first true metal band as none of their music has ANY blues influence.

Yes I Am a Pirate! 200 years too late....the cannons don't thunder...there's nothing to plunder...I'm an over 40 victim of fate!
Old 05-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
I love AC/DC and Pink Floyd but don't consider either of them to be metal......
By definition. .....metal is a form of music without a blues inspired background which they both have.

By that definition. ...Judas priest was the very first true metal band as none of their music has ANY blues influence.

MC5 were getting pretty heavy by the late 60's. Kick out the Jams was 69. Black Sabbath Black Sabbath was '70, and Judas Priest's first album was released in 74. Obviously there was a movement in England, but priest and sabbath hit the big time, but MC5 were the americas.

Sabbath started with blues/rock ad roll as the Polka Tulk Blues Band. And mc5 became heavy with that direction of rock evolution, so although Judas Priest did form after the other 2, you might be right in saying they were formed as a Metal Group.

Black Sabbath Black Sabbath predated Priest's Rolla Rolla though... and MC5 was thrashin' it before either were even formed... but this branch of the rock genre is still steeped in the blues, and emerged as a branch of 60's prog rock. Led Zep were big into the blues and sang blues songs - formed in '68.

Mc5 formed in 64, Sabbath in 68 - so did deep purple and led zep - and J.Priest in 69. Purple's first release was in '68... but it was more like a prog rock album. Made in Japan came out in '71.

P.S. AC/DC identify themselves as a rock group - but are adored by metal heads.

Some even say the roots of metal music go back to Wagner of the 19th century.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Master
Gem......I'd would absolutely agree with you that the very concept of what we consider "metel" goes all the way back to Wagner.

I'd also agree that early groups like MC5, Sabath and the rest were hard rockers.....but they had blues influences. .....Judas priest to my mind is the first definitive metal band.

For instsnce...in an era when the electric light bulb hadnt even been invented much less amplifiers. .. Wagner used to load up his orchestra with double the amount of bass instruments including having somthing known as the octa-bass built that was so big it required two musicians to play it because he wanted a big powerful sound.

Another 18th century composer named Franz Liszt was so popular with young people that he would be stormed at his concerts very much like the Beatles were in the early 1960's....and had a following of young woman throwing themselves at him like modern day groupies.

Franz Liszt was very much the worlds first rock star!!!

Last edited by Lucky 1 : 05-03-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 1
Gem......I'd would absolutely agree with you that the very concept of what we consider "metel" goes all the way back to Wagner.

I'd also agree that early groups like MC5, Sabath and the rest were hard rockers.....but they had blues influences. .....Judas priest to my mind is the first definitive metal band.

For instsnce...in an era when the electric light bulb hadnt even been invented much less amplifiers. .. Wagner used to load up his orchestra with double the amount of bass instruments including having somthing known as the octa-bass built that was so big it required two musicians to play it because he wanted a big powerful sound.

Another 18th century composer named Franz Liszt was so popular with young people that he would be stormed at his concerts very much like the Beatles were in the early 1960's....and had a following of young woman throwing themselves at him like modern day groupies.

Franz Liszt was very much the worlds first rock star!!!

That said, Judas priest were stemming from prog rock with Rokka Rolla (which obviously references rock and roll). It was every bit a prog rock album, and prog rock in turn stems back to blues riffs and and lead solos. No matter which way you cut it, Metal is rock music, which is a variety of genres that evolved along different branches from its roots Black American slave songs.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:07 PM
Guide
I've been a Uriah Heep fan all my life - the original line up with the charismatic David Byron.

This is one of my favourites - The Wizard. This was played at my dad's funeral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaRXQkuB2SM
Old 13-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Master
Sorry for forsaking my own thread, nice to all meet you here. Lately I am a lot into Manowar and they're my favorite band. Good to know not everyone here is only into Enya and New Age stuff lol.
I will search for the emerald sword
Old 16-03-2017, 04:52 AM
Master
I love this series of raw Purple videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjQB0wgLc6c