Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 05-01-2016, 05:03 PM
Master
Cherokee Lineage - Does anyone have information?

Growing up I always knew that I was part Cherokee - I had heard stories from my Grandmother and eventually found out definitively that my great-great-great grandfather was Path Killer, the last full-blooded leader of the Cherokee Nation. His mother was from the Red Paint Clan.

I really want to know more and I guess I'm just looking for any insight into the Native American culture/way/beliefs.

I've always been very excited about this part of my heritage and I feel very connected to it - but never known too much about it.

Any input is much appreciated!

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 05-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Suspended
You know more than most who have some Cherokee in them. Seems many Americans have some Cherokee blood in them. Best to visit their lands and talk to real people. Remember each Nation has there own culture, so do not group them all together.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Bow
You know more than most who have some Cherokee in them. Seems many Americans have some Cherokee blood in them. Best to visit their lands and talk to real people. Remember each Nation has there own culture, so do not group them all together.

Right... that's where I'm having trouble... the reason I was able to find so much info was because he was such a prominent member of the Cherokee people. I know he had 13 children, at least that are documented, so I know that there are hundreds of us out there.

I guess it will take some more research on my part to figure out where exactly he was living and if there are any descendants in the area.

I don't want to be one of those run-of-the-mill Americans who claims to have some fantastical Native heritage, I find it quite embarrassing when people do this, I just want to find out more about my lineage.

:)

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 05-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Suspended
I know your heritage is real, going by what you knew. Good luck on your journey.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:37 AM
Knower
https://familysearch.org/

This is a good place to start. It's free and you can search many records. Some can go incredibly far back. I'm not 100% sure on it's accuracy with Native American's but it's good to start with recent family, then go backwards.

To also make sure is to check the Dawes Rolls http://www.archives.gov/research/nat...wes-how-to.pdf for family member names.
Another good way is to check http://www.findagrave.com/ for burial places. A lot of times family members will fill in information like Birth and Death. Including places and possibly relatives. A good way to fact check any documents you may come across.

I was able to find this by finding a possible relative of his: http://www.geni.com/people/Col-Pathk...00006110946359
http://www.geni.com/people/Nancy-Pol...00038833299990
http://www.manataka.org/page18.html This is where I found her name from. I don't believe the story but it still held some information at the bottom of the page.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:11 PM
Master
thanks for all that info!

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 03-03-2016, 03:27 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Glow
thanks for all that info!

You're welcome! Good luck on finding out! It's always fun to find out where you come from.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by GemDragon09
You're welcome! Good luck on finding out! It's always fun to find out where you come from.

I was looking into the links and the last one had a lot of references to my known relative! :)

There is a lot of mystery still... I am doing more digging...

From what I can gather - Pathkiller had around 13 children. His son - Chief Nunnaa ha-Diha Pathkiller was also known as Pathkiller and he married a white woman named Sookey (Susan) Martin and had three children, the youngest, Sarah Pathkiller is my link...

Still working everything out - its hard to know for certain - just feels good to have an idea of where I come from... They were all members of the Red Pain Clan from what I can gather thus far...

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 06-03-2016, 11:03 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Glow
I was looking into the links and the last one had a lot of references to my known relative! :)

There is a lot of mystery still... I am doing more digging...

From what I can gather - Pathkiller had around 13 children. His son - Chief Nunnaa ha-Diha Pathkiller was also known as Pathkiller and he married a white woman named Sookey (Susan) Martin and had three children, the youngest, Sarah Pathkiller is my link...

Still working everything out - its hard to know for certain - just feels good to have an idea of where I come from... They were all members of the Red Pain Clan from what I can gather thus far...

I found a video that can help give tips on searching for ancestry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIu-WF1LZY4
Old 15-03-2016, 08:29 AM
Pathfinder
Heya

The Cherokee rolls are closed at this time.

You have to understand .. many eastern tribes were gathered .. and sent along the Trail of Tears .. then, coming into what the government granted as "Indian Territory" .. were lumped together as Cherokee.

The original Cherokee, as one of the five civilized tribes .. have been traced back to Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas and Nebraska .. for 15,000 year's (arrowhead points) .. so they were established as a people.. before the genocide.

Even Native American's laugh at the "Cherokee Princess" legend .. but, the point being, they were already here.. When the Native American's were sent on The Long Walk ..

It is "The Red Plain Clan" by the way.

The Cherokee have opened their Rolls .. off and on .. since .. well .. forever. Now they are fighting for their identity. It is political, in the end ..

The Cherokee have their own Creation stories .. their own recipes and well .. their own Culture.

If you are truly interested .. you will have to submit paper's of some sort .. or even a picture ..