Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 04-06-2018, 07:49 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomma
I have also done many good things and been criticized and even attacked for them.
"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is
the kingdom of heaven." ~ Matthew 5:10
Old 04-06-2018, 08:02 PM
Experiencer

Thank you H:O:R:A:C:E
Old 04-06-2018, 09:42 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Well then I'm glad you're "like an idiot
LOL Thanks I needed that Tomma.
And thank you as well H:O:R:A:C:E
A little kindness goes a long way thank you both. I apologies for my rather bitter post, this morning.
Quote:
I feel bitterness and sadness in your words, and I can relate to those sentiments. I have also done many good things and been criticized and even attacked for them. It's a lonely feeling isn't it?
I feel bad for you, that you can relate to my circumstance. It is a ugly truth people will persecute a person for doing a selfless act. I'm sorry that happened to you. It is indeed a lonely feeling.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:37 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownparadox
I feel bad for you, that you can relate to my circumstance. It is a ugly truth people will persecute a person for doing a selfless act. I'm sorry that happened to you. It is indeed a lonely feeling.

Thank you Unknownparadox
Old 04-06-2018, 11:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
No good deed goes unpunished.
Any exp with it?

I don't exactly get it.
I'll take all views. Thanks.

Hi Miss Hepburn,

In my opinion the term is a bit cynical and reflects a tone of frustration when one tries to do good and feels slapped in the face for it.

I don't follow this line of thinking. For never know the full affect one may have upon another. Sometimes may not get the reward expected or none at all.

Is it about being rewarded or punished? If one never puts out the effort, then how can any good be done?
Old 05-06-2018, 12:08 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Is it about being rewarded or punished? If one never puts out the effort, then how can any good be done?
I myself never looked for any reward, if I do a good deed. It's just a kick in the teeth to take a loss for doing it. Whether it's emotional, financial, or physical.

The term let no good deed go unpunished, is one most people know because it seems like life, will some how punish you for doing what I call a selfless act. Such as feed a hungry person, shelter a homeless person. And it seems life has no shortage of strange and bizarre ways, it can punish you for doing that selfless act.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:37 AM
Master
the OP statement is usually offered in jest, i believe, and looking at it as
somewhat comical might get at what people are meaning when it's said.
the idea of doing a good deed seems to imply "becoming involved", rather
than simply allowing circumstances to unfold without (caring) guidance.
to involve oneself lends a measure of responsibility for the situation,
whatever it is, and THAT might entail unforeseen consequences... which
are (comically) characterized as "punishment".
by and large, in most circumstances in which someone has an inclination
to provide assistance, i'd wager that the person would have a 'bad feeling'
for withholding aid [if things turned out poorly].
there's a good movie involving doing good turns called Pay it Forward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV4TCWjehT0
Old 05-06-2018, 02:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Good intentions and good deed are two separate things. A good deed is save some ones life. Which incidentally I have. And ended up wishing I hadn't. A good intention is meddling in some one's affairs because you know best. Which is always a bad idea.

Ironically I experienced. No good deed goes unpunished right after I posted my first post. I cut a little old lady a price break on a huge job. Naturally she kicked the bucket last night. Putting me in a bad spot. As I have invested a lot of time and effort in it.

I guess you'd be in the same spot if you'd charged full price.

Quote:
If I had it to do over again. I would not save any creature, which I have many. I would not help a living soul, which I have many. I keep telling myself that's how I'm going to be. But like a idiot I just can't do it.

What a good intention basically refers to is serving others without expecting anything in return. You are right that the desire to help isn't in itself well-intended because it's a personal desire rather than genuine empathic concern. That often 'backfires', which is, I think, where the saying arose form.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:24 AM
Master
I am not a "good deed" doer. So it will be difficult to answer this question.
What is a so called "good deed" anyway? And why would someone be compelled to do them? And besides, good deed is a judgment, I judge an action of mine as good. And ,the way I see it, someone does it to feel good.

I will not go out of my way to help, unless someone wants help. I would not call it a "good deed". If I give vegetable away from my garden, I give them away because I have plenty. I don't need them anyway. It doesn't make me feel good nor bad. And if I knew they toss them away, it would not make me feel any different. Once I give them away, they are gone.

The one who came up with this saying must have got emotionally hurt.

Hopefully this person learned to detach from the experience.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:57 PM
Master
Quote:
I myself never looked for any reward, if I do a good deed. It's just a kick in the teeth to take a loss for doing it. Whether it's emotional, financial, or physical.

The term let no good deed go unpunished, is one most people know because it seems like life, will some how punish you for doing what I call a selfless act. Such as feed a hungry person, shelter a homeless person. And it seems life has no shortage of strange and bizarre ways, it can punish you for doing that selfless act.

Hello Unkownparadox,

First I can understand that not all people can be trustworthy, unfortunately..
But, does this mean we should all just throw our hands up and give up?

I don't know what may result from my actions. Some can make an educated guess, mostly can not predict the full outcome.

Yes, been disappointed and had some take advantage of my good nature. These experiences have helped make me be a bit wiser and to stand up for myself.

Life is full of risks. If no one takes the risk to attempt to change things or to give assistance to one in need, what will be the results?

The trick for me is not be bitter, but to move on. Offer help, but not be someone's "door mat". To do it because there is a need presented, without expecting a return.

Circumstances happen, some good, some not so good. That seems the way life may go. It has been how I adjust and deal with it that creates the attitude towards life.

To generalize people as being this way or that and life for that matter seems to set myself up for dissapointments and create a mind set of becoming frustrated with the whole lot. Feel not healthy to do this to myself.

Look to be grateful for what is given to me and open to give what I can and willing.

It is not always easy.