Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 09-02-2012, 04:33 PM
srikanthdk71

@Oliness & @123music, Moksha means being God. Where there is experience, there is no Moksha because there is an experiencer and the experience. Saint Mira did not get Moksha. No devotee will get Moksha because he feels himself different from God. The only way to attain Moksha is by deep Meditation where mind is stopped and only the original YOU in you is reached.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:56 PM
oliness

Moksha can be attained through devotion. This is described in the Bhagavad Gita and other texts. Mira Bai eventually merged into Krishna. The devotee loves God then merges into Him.

The same happened with Amma. She was a devotee of Krishna and the Divine Mother, then finally merged into the Divine Mother and became the Divine Mother.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123music
Thats really good to hear. So you mean to say one need not become saint or surrender to any aashram to get moksha.
We can attain it by doing the karma assigned to us by the god. Am i correct?

So why fascination is an exception? Any reason for that?

Also as you said we should be with love and compassion. But in these days, when we are doing good and spreading love, people are treating it as an innocence and inefficiecy. Like what i mean to say is if you are doing good to others even though they are causing trouble to you or irritating you people will take it as an advantage and they still try to do the same again and again. How do we handle these kind of situations? How to handle such kind of people?

Do i need to do good even though others do bad or do bad (in the sense start hatred or reacting to them) only after doing good for considerable amount of time. What do you suggest?

Thanks.

If you can do good while others do bad, you may a Saint, but it you want Moksha, it is not likely to happen if you call others "bad".

I think it is like sort of two step dance.

1. You do what you believe is good and best for you to do.
2. You do not judge others for what they choose to do.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:42 AM
oliness

It's best not to focus too much on others and what they might be getting up to because that doesn't help our development. But it's more important to have a strong ethical life, otherwise it will be almost impossible for us to gain moksha. Ethics properly practised is the process of increasing our awareness to understand the perspective of other beings, and act in ways to benefit to them. That is vital for our own spiritual development.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Mayflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliness
Moksha can be attained through devotion. This is described in the Bhagavad Gita and other texts. Mira Bai eventually merged into Krishna. The devotee loves God then merges into Him.

The same happened with Amma. She was a devotee of Krishna and the Divine Mother, then finally merged into the Divine Mother and became the Divine Mother.

Yes I agree that one merges into what one is most devoted to. Of course logistically to me, it probably means I am am devoted to feeling free and happy.

We become what we are most devoted to, right? What are others here presently devoted to?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:38 PM
oliness

I think it's good to have an object of devotion that is a recognized image of the absolute. One you can really love and feel a connection to.

But I don't think it matters in particular which one, and that means there doesn't need to be any conflict between different religions. Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity and all other religions have their images. Each of them can be used to help attain moksha through bhakti. They are all symbols of the absolute which is beyond form.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthdk71
@Oliness & @123music, Moksha means being God. Where there is experience, there is no Moksha because there is an experiencer and the experience. Saint Mira did not get Moksha. No devotee will get Moksha because he feels himself different from God. The only way to attain Moksha is by deep Meditation where mind is stopped and only the original YOU in you is reached.
Your concept looks new to me..Can you elaborate a bit on this topic with your knowledge?
If we just only do meditation is it enough to get moksha? How about our karmas? What kind of precaution do we need to take?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliness
I think it's good to have an object of devotion that is a recognized image of the absolute. One you can really love and feel a connection to.

But I don't think it matters in particular which one, and that means there doesn't need to be any conflict between different religions. Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity and all other religions have their images. Each of them can be used to help attain moksha through bhakti. They are all symbols of the absolute which is beyond form.
If devotion is the only means then why karmas play a prominent role in human life?
I read somewhere that until your karmas account is not settled sole will keep on taking birth to settle the account. What do you say on this?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 PM
oliness

Devotion isn't the only means, ethics is important as well. As I understand it, our karmas are the result of our vasanas. These are what drive us to have more experiences in samsara.

So our vasanas which create the karma to experience samsara are all of our desires which are not for moksha. Our selfish desire for ordinary worldly pleasure and the perpetuation of our separate existence continue to reinforce themselves; producing more vasanas and more karma. This means that we do not attain moksha because we don't really _want_ it. We may have some desire for release but our desire for pleasure is still so strong that it takes us away from moksha.

By devotion or meditation (or any of the 4 main yogic paths) we can get closer to moksha. But it will only happen once our vasanas to experience samsara are removed. This occurs with the extinction of selfish cravings.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Master
In Vyasa's Guru Gita, there is a verse which says

moksha muulam gurur krpa which in the context of the path of devotion, is devotion to the Guru as a divine principle of liberation/evolution in our universe...and in ourselves.

This is explained in my teacher's words:

"When the Guru bestows his benevolent glance; when he showers you with his love and attention, that you begin to feel the power of grace. You begin to feel all kinds of wonderful things coming into your life. To get the Guru’s glance, to get the Guru’s attention, is a way of getting grace.

And this can happen in so many ways. When you do things that the Guru will be pleased, then he remembers us, he blesses us, he showers us with that attention and intention of love. And that brings tremendous grace. I can’t tell you how important that is. This is the essence of what I have experienced, completely."

The grace of moksha comes to the devotee at the right karmic moment when they have earned it, through energy transmission from one who has it in fullness. Whether they are physically present or not is unimportant. Once you have established a link with this one, through your own desire, it stays with you throughout your journey.

For example...Christians do not realize that Christianity is essentially a path of moksha through worship of the Guru Principle, as expressed in the Holy Spirit of Christ - as perfect vessel of the Cosmic Creator, the "Father".

Last edited by Uma : 10-02-2012 at 10:28 PM.