Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 13-06-2016, 10:53 PM
Pathfinder

Thank you jonesboy for the true insight.

Good thoughts, bad thoughts, crazy thoughts, it doesn't matter. Just don't attach to them, don't think that your thoughts are who you are.
Old 14-06-2016, 12:06 AM
Master
You got it exactly!!
Old 14-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Suspended
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by row37
Good thoughts, bad thoughts, crazy thoughts, it doesn't matter. Just don't attach to them, don't think that your thoughts are who you are.

I would say your thoughts are exactly who you are if you are an average person but yes, they don't have to be. The only time they are not is if you dissociate from them consciously. That requires an insight into your true nature. Like you say, you have to see or realize that your thoughts are not you... then you have to see though the trickery of thought as it attempts to stay the center of your focus. The ego or personal thought based self is something we unconsciously habitually create using stuff provided by our brain.

When you say, don't attach to them, you are describing mindfulness or a higher state of awareness. An alert watching in the present moment.
Old 15-06-2016, 07:20 AM
Master
“Simplicity, patience, compassion.
These three are your greatest treasures.
Simple in actions and thoughts, you return to the source of being.
Patient with both friends and enemies,
you accord with the way things are.
Compassionate toward yourself,
you reconcile all beings in the world.”

― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 15-06-2016, 07:36 AM
Suspended
naturesflow,

I see my throat has green stuff blockage but I never learn chakras medition ,so is it a part of meditation? Where is the green stuff come from? I think you may know it.
Old 15-06-2016, 07:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bong
naturesflow,

I see my throat has green stuff blockage but I never learn chakras medition ,so is it a part of meditation? Where is the green stuff come from? I think you may know it.

I asked you a question in your other thread where you asked about this.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 15-06-2016, 08:25 AM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesflow
I asked you a question in your other thread where you asked about this.

In my thread I asked everyone who knew it. But when I viewed your thread then I asked you.
I am sorry about that which caused the confusion.
Old 15-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bong
In my thread I asked everyone who knew it. But when I viewed your thread then I asked you.
I am sorry about that which caused the confusion.

No problem. I just meant I responded there..:)

Old 15-06-2016, 12:08 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Just as the ocean has waves, and the sun has rays, so the mind’s own radiance is its thoughts and emotions. The ocean has waves, yet the ocean is not particularly disturbed by them. The waves are the very nature of the ocean. Waves will rise, but where do they go? Back into the ocean. And where do the waves come from? The ocean.

In the same manner, thoughts and emotions are the radiance and expression of the very nature of the mind. They rise from the mind, but where do they dissolve? Back into the mind. Whatever rises, do not see it as a particular problem. If you do not impulsively react, if you are only patient, it will once again settle into its essential nature.

When you have this understanding, then rising thoughts only enhance your practice. But when you do not understand what they intrinsically are—the radiance of the nature of your mind—then your thoughts become the seed of confusion. So have a spacious, open, and compassionate attitude toward your thoughts and emotions, because in fact your thoughts are your family, the family of your mind. Before them, as Dudjom Rinpoche used to say: “Be like an old wise man, watching a child play.”

Spot on jonesboy! Excellent explanation. Now if only the entirety of humanity realized this, what a different world it would be.

Thoughts are the spell humanity is under, and what are thoughts but words and words are "spell-ed" thus in the words or Alan Watts; “You have to realize to what an enormous extent we are all utterly bewitched by words, and are trying all our lives long to solve problems which only words create. Because the human being has gotten himself into a very funny bind. Having developed words, which are enormously useful, obviously, we at the same time pay a price for them. We are simultaneously helped and bewitched by words. So you could say that being under Maya, under illusion, is also being spellbound. And enchanted. Because when you lay a spell… you do it by spelling! You see, you make a magic with words.”
Old 15-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Just as the ocean has waves, and the sun has rays, so the mind’s own radiance is its thoughts and emotions. The ocean has waves, yet the ocean is not particularly disturbed by them. The waves are the very nature of the ocean. Waves will rise, but where do they go? Back into the ocean. And where do the waves come from? The ocean.

In the same manner, thoughts and emotions are the radiance and expression of the very nature of the mind. They rise from the mind, but where do they dissolve? Back into the mind. Whatever rises, do not see it as a particular problem. If you do not impulsively react, if you are only patient, it will once again settle into its essential nature.

When you have this understanding, then rising thoughts only enhance your practice. But when you do not understand what they intrinsically are—the radiance of the nature of your mind—then your thoughts become the seed of confusion. So have a spacious, open, and compassionate attitude toward your thoughts and emotions, because in fact your thoughts are your family, the family of your mind. Before them, as Dudjom Rinpoche used to say: “Be like an old wise man, watching a child play.”

Spot on jonesboy! Excellent explanation. Now if only the entirety of humanity realized this, what a different world it would be.

Thoughts are the spell humanity is under, and what are thoughts but words and words are "spell-ed" thus in the words or Alan Watts; “You have to realize to what an enormous extent we are all utterly bewitched by words, and are trying all our lives long to solve problems which only words create. Because the human being has gotten himself into a very funny bind. Having developed words, which are enormously useful, obviously, we at the same time pay a price for them. We are simultaneously helped and bewitched by words. So you could say that being under Maya, under illusion, is also being spellbound. And enchanted. Because when you lay a spell… you do it by spelling! You see, you make a magic with words.”

Hence, to be spell-bound is to be attached, and what is it that one is attached to but its thoughts which are really words, so humanity is imprisoned in illusion/Maya through the seeming power of words, yet in reality words themselves hold no inherent power of their own, their power is the result of your belief in the validity of them, hence you are the power behind words. We create with words and we destroy with words, yet words themselves have never said a thing.