Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 22-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Master

spiritual pursuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerOfLight
20 years... Well that's a definite game-over for me.

Why I am so keen on having otherworldly experiences? Well, this waking reality is already too much of a dull dystopia to me and nothing where I go or what I do changes that. Don't get me wrong, it's true that I am sceptical when it comes to anything spiritual, but my undying hatred of this world and it's society works as a great motivator to experience new stuff despite my atheistic views. Maybe the difference is that most atheists are at peace with the way things are, while I am not and constantly look for something that can provide me the salvation that I long for.

I do understand the spiritual development is long drawn affair . But so is scientific development (discovery and invention ) process. Currently what we see instantly is merely fruits of the hard work done by our ancestors. Engaging in those worldly matters still does not make you scientific to the core. Nothing worthwhile comes without paying the price it deserves.

But I can understand your choice and reference and respect it very well .
Old 22-10-2019, 04:23 PM
Master

Patience with Nature of God

God is one who gives you 1000 of things without one asking and most of the times without one even knowing and at the same time is the one who may not yield to a request of even single penny if He doesnt feel like (of course for valid reasons best known to Him and which can best be inferred by spiritual masters) . So it requires lot of patience with him in Spiritual pursuits .

Also meditation is just one part of it . I understand you are activity oriented and so the best way to succeed in spirituality for you is to persists in good deeds lovingly n positively without rejecting any spiritual norms and having firm belief in good thoughts . Meditation is not the ONLY route to spirituality .

Reading good books & pensive thinking on something great are also part of spirituality .
Old 22-10-2019, 04:27 PM
Deactivated Account

My children are non religious-atheist. My daughter ( almost 11) meditates to ease her anxiety. Nothing to do with 'spirituality' or connecting to anything but the rhythm of her own breath. Its good oxygen to the brain and releasing stress.

You like Astronomy, no? Just lay down and look at the stars, or more preferably close your eyes and feel the energy of the cosmic universe, immerse yourself with that energy. Thats all you got to do. No guides, no Gods, no cheerleaders. You genuinely don't need the spiritual 'rhetoric'. Personally, I like the Sun Energy. When I meditate the sun glowing on me and the wind brushing along my face. Thats all I do. You just want that connection with yourself and have awarness with whatever is rising to the surface to either heal or embrace. Thats all. Or just sit still and feel the connection to the Universe. There are so many types of meditations. Nothingness is more than fine as well. Getting into a routine sucks tho. Consistency is key to being successful with anything in life. I am a long distance runner and trust me, its easy to give up. Starting the first mile is always the hardest for no matter how experienced I am. But, you keep working on it. Some days better than others.. We are all work in a progress.
Old 22-10-2019, 04:49 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
God is one who gives you 1000 of things without one asking and most of the times without one even knowing and at the same time is the one who may not yield to a request of even single penny if He doesnt feel like (of course for valid reasons best known to Him and which can best be inferred by spiritual masters) . So it requires lot of patience with him in Spiritual pursuits .

Also meditation is just one part of it . I understand you are activity oriented and so the best way to succeed in spirituality for you is to persists in good deeds lovingly n positively without rejecting any spiritual norms and having firm belief in good thoughts . Meditation is not the ONLY route to spirituality .

Reading good books & pensive thinking on something great are also part of spirituality .

I think ignoring prayers when it comes to health issues, suffering, and especially loneliness is anything but valid. Even from his own morbidly twisted perception of justice and morality. And if none of his spiritual masters have the urge to keep him in line by saying 'enough' then they aren't any better at all. I've lost my patience with God, and came to the conclusion that he's either a sadistic and ruthless maniac or he isn't real. No shots fired at you tho, be free to believe what you want.

Even though I am not a saint, I already live like a decent person and treat others the same way they treat me, but can be vicious when push comes to shove. Hopefully true spirituality doesn't require me to be a humble choirboy, because that would not do me any good and the same applies to everyone else.
Old 22-10-2019, 06:49 PM
Master
Your desire to have *an experience* is a hindrance in and of itself. I think that's the case for many people, and also why it would be best actually if nobody here shared detailed content of their experiences. Not only can it create desire in others but it can also create inauthentic experiences.

Simply do a spiritual practice continuously and enjoy the benefits, let that be your aim instead of wanting some sort of mystical experience. If I meditate for a long time I may not experience anything mystical, and yet the practice can make me feel happy and easy-going for days to come. View it practically, ignore beliefs and all the fancy stuff you read on here.

As for food, yes it is important. What you eat, when you eat, etc. You'll find that the people disagreeing with that are less into going-within practices and more into devotionalism and emotion. If you seek to please a deity or the ancestors than you just need to have an active mind so it won't matter as much what you eat. There are roughly two different *paths* in spirituality in general. Since you aren't interested in bowing and scraping it seems you were grasping the other side of the coin...

But.... the error you make here is thinking that a few tries will give you some *mystical experience*. If you are really fascinated or thirsting for spirituality you'd want to do the practice(s) for the rest of your life, even if you don't get any mystical oneness experience.

Often it's the journey itself that is worthwhile but you want the destination. Change your expectations and instead enjoy the ride and the curiosity for its own sake.
Old 23-10-2019, 04:55 AM
Master
Quote:
What do you mean with looking deeply into myself? Being self-reflective? If so, I already do that, even when I appear to be the male equivalent of a hardcore tsundere.
I'll get to the point. Your a good caring person, I can see that in your post. It doesn't matter what you appear to be. Good people will see past the surface. Isn't that the kind of people you want to associate with? The people that can't see you for who you are, the hell with them. Who needs em. It's not easy trusting people, I understand. But the ones you can trust are priceless.

Last edited by hallow : 12-01-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 23-10-2019, 11:27 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Your desire to have *an experience* is a hindrance in and of itself. I think that's the case for many people, and also why it would be best actually if nobody here shared detailed content of their experiences. Not only can it create desire in others but it can also create inauthentic experiences.

Simply do a spiritual practice continuously and enjoy the benefits, let that be your aim instead of wanting some sort of mystical experience. If I meditate for a long time I may not experience anything mystical, and yet the practice can make me feel happy and easy-going for days to come. View it practically, ignore beliefs and all the fancy stuff you read on here.

As for food, yes it is important. What you eat, when you eat, etc. You'll find that the people disagreeing with that are less into going-within practices and more into devotionalism and emotion. If you seek to please a deity or the ancestors than you just need to have an active mind so it won't matter as much what you eat. There are roughly two different *paths* in spirituality in general. Since you aren't interested in bowing and scraping it seems you were grasping the other side of the coin...

But.... the error you make here is thinking that a few tries will give you some *mystical experience*. If you are really fascinated or thirsting for spirituality you'd want to do the practice(s) for the rest of your life, even if you don't get any mystical oneness experience.

Often it's the journey itself that is worthwhile but you want the destination. Change your expectations and instead enjoy the ride and the curiosity for its own sake.

Oh believe me, I have a hard time believing spiritual stories just as much as I am sceptical about my own few strange experiences that stick with me till this day, so it's not really like reading someone's story increases my motivation and desire whatsoever.

As I said, I didn't do it because I expected some wish-granting genie to pop up. I'm not that dumb... I only hoped I'd get some sort of sign that I'm on the right track and need to keep this up, but rather it feels like everything would be in vain and I might as well resume my less-healthy lifestyle considering nothing changes anyway. Not even what you'd refer to as higher or inner self ringed any bells. Modifying my lifestyle in the hope of at least some improvement feels about as casual as taking a bathroom break, nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 23-10-2019, 11:31 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
I'll get to the point. Your a good caring person, I can see that in your post. It doesn't matter what you appear to be. Good people will see past the surface. Isn't that the kind of people you want to associate with? The people that can't see you for who you are, the hell with them. Who needs em. It's not easy trusting people, I understand. But the ones you can trust are priceless.

Well yes, that's true. Only genuine people are welcome into my life, but not toxic and fake ones. Although it's not like I'm looking for any new friends because I already have a bunch of them I'd like to associate with.
Old 23-10-2019, 12:25 PM
Master
SOL,

I could be way off base, but here I go.

Meditation and spirituality are like going to a movie that you have not seen the trailer. You go in with no expectation and you have to suspend at least some of your disbelief to, “go for the ride”.

Whether you judge the ride to be good or bad or “meh”, that comes from your perceptions. Perceptions are a million bits and pieces of “you” made up from a million different experiences. It also comes from whether you suspended your disbelief, even for a moment.
Old 23-10-2019, 12:50 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
I only hoped I'd get some sort of sign that I'm on the right track and need to keep this up, but rather it feels like everything would be in vain and I might as well resume my less-healthy lifestyle considering nothing changes anyway.

I've always had a spiritual aspect and nothing every quenched the desire for even a small sign of confirmation. My first 17 1/2 years brought up as Roman Catholic, including 12 years of Catholic school didn't, and certainly not the next 18 or so years of hedonistic wild & crazy partying and fun. Serving my country in the Air Force didn't. All the decades I spent in nature hunting, fishing, camping and solo backpacking didn't. Family, friends and work didn't. Pouring over literature from too many self-help 'gurus' didn't. TKD didn't nor did resistance training on and off throughout my life.

And now, after almost 61 years and after trying something I've been trying on and off since 2011 have the blinders finally been removed.

If you still have any desire remaining, hold onto to it in some reccess of your mind, even if at the moment it seems futile or even foolish. When the urge arises again in sufficient strength bring it out, dust it off and give it another chance.