Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 19-08-2014, 04:00 PM
InAnotherLife

Newbie question

Hello! I'm totally new to meditation and I've been attempting to meditate with no luck. I start with deep breathing and focus on my breath for about 3 mins or until I feel it's rhythmic and steady. I also envision positive energy on the inhale and exhale anxieties. I then begin at the top of my head and begin breathing out the tension in my muscles. I start to let go with exhale, and usually make it to me jaw/neck area when I fall asleep and wake up a few hrs later. I'm a mom, the only time I have to try this when it's peaceful and quiet is when the kids are asleep, and I'm usually really tired at the end of the day. Anyway how can I deeply relax without just falling asleep? Any suggestions would help at this point.
Old 19-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Experiencer
doing it first thing in the morning works better for me.

why are you meditating? give yourself a purpose. my problem was just sitting there being quiet was not cutting the ice for me. i personally needed a reason, something that will give me something at the end of the day.

have you tried some guided meditations? that might be a good place to start.
Old 19-08-2014, 07:42 PM
TaoSandwich

InAnotherLife,

Revmac's suggestion is probably by far the best answer... so I'd go with that before anything that I say. If you truly can't do it, after repeated tries (remember: anything worth doing is difficult... sometimes very difficult) try doing somethingg rousing before meditation such as working out to increase your energy during the day or having a cup of coffee. I am usually against aids to meditation (drugs, alcohol, even coffee IF you become dependent on it to enhance meditation) and I'd still forego the coffee if it is close to bedtime for you, but from personal experience, it is very difficult to meditate while sleepy and even when you manage to stay awake, you will likely spend half of your awareness fighting off sleep. So I'd suggest working out and eating well to increase energy in the long term and a nice cup of tea or coffee for the short term. I try not to use any stimulants or depressants before the vast majority of my meditation, but I have occasionally had a cup of coffee when I know that I am too sleepy to properly meditate, but still want to do so.

Also, are you able to meditate for short periods of time without an absolute block of silence (as in... while the kids are eating)? This is something that I personally have yet to master, but perhaps other people on here can give you some instruction on this.

Hope that helps,
-TaoSandwich
Old 21-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Island Man

Great suggestions above. It's difficult in our busy lives. I tend to meditate most in the evenings after work but I find 15 minutes in my car in my work carpark (I park in the quiet corner) at lunchtime works better than 30 minutes when tired in the evenings. There is never the perfect time. Good luck.
Old 22-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by InAnotherLife
Hello! I'm totally new to meditation and I've been attempting to meditate with no luck. I start with deep breathing and focus on my breath for about 3 mins or until I feel it's rhythmic and steady. I also envision positive energy on the inhale and exhale anxieties. I then begin at the top of my head and begin breathing out the tension in my muscles. I start to let go with exhale, and usually make it to me jaw/neck area when I fall asleep and wake up a few hrs later. I'm a mom, the only time I have to try this when it's peaceful and quiet is when the kids are asleep, and I'm usually really tired at the end of the day. Anyway how can I deeply relax without just falling asleep? Any suggestions would help at this point.

Sounds like a nice way to meditate. Sitting up might be an idea.
Old 22-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Master
A couple of things from my perspective if you don't mind.

You are doing to much. It is best to meditate twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening for 20 minutes a day.

Try just sitting in bed, get a couple of pillows behind your back, cross your legs if you can. Put your hands in your lap and the let go of everything except your breath. You can focus your breath on your nose or in your belly. Most advanced meditators use the belly. Don't worry about the belly or anything else. Just worry about your breath, the sensation. When you lose it to thooughts just gently go back to your breath.

When we meditate we are not always sleeping. Sometimes it just seems like it. Here is a nice lesson to help.

Lesson 17 - Meditation Q&A – Was I asleep?
Old 25-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Island Man

That helped me too, Jones Boy.

I need to remember not to try too hard but to concentrate on the basics.

Thank you.
Old 21-09-2014, 01:58 AM
BreathingNow

If you are laying in bed, you can easily drift into sleep. An upright posture should will allow you to go through your routine of experiencing your body.