Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 09-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Greg

Duckling eaten by a Pike

A couple of days ago I witnessed a Duckling being taken away by a Pike (A fish), I saw it's mother trying so hard to rescue it and so did I. The Pike kept taking the Duckling underwater though and I'm guessing it must of drowned it before it ate it.
The reason I'm telling you this is because it's had a real effect on me. I was in tears and have had a hard time dealing with it since. It was the look on the Ducklings face, it was so scared and I wanted to save it so much.
As someone who adores nature and claims nature to be my God, it can often appear cruel too. My blessings to the lovely little Duckling.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Suspended
Hiya Greg

I had a similar experience with a goldfinch, a pane of glass and a domesticated cat.

Nature is neither adorable or bad. It just is.

It's a hard thing for us emotional humans to get used to...but it's there every day in our faces.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Master
Hi Greg.

Ditto ...... with a Sparrow Hawk and a Collared Dove on our front lawn last year.

The Hawk "took" the Dove from our back garden, and then proceeded to pull all the feathers from it on the front lawn for about 10 minutes ....... plucked it clean, before flying off to the woods 200 yards away where it was nesting.

Hard to watch ...... yes ...... nature to us emotional beings, does seem very cruel sometimes.

To the Hawk though, it's just what comes naturally, he's feeding his chicks ...... no right or wrong to it ...... as Squatchit says ......... it just is.

Sorry you are feeling so down after witnessing this ...... just wait till tomorrow, nature will have some other marvel somewhere to distract you, and lift your spirits up again.

Soulie.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Ascender
Greg,

That's the nature of predator/prey. Those things are part of the cycle of life. Nature has to have that balance, as 'unpretty' as it may seem to us.

I see similar things on my bird feeders. I have loads of songbirds and the like feeding at the feeders. I also have at least one (possibly two) Cooper's hawk that hunts the little birds. It's fascinating watching nature unfold. I bless all of the animals.

Speaking of the balance of nature, Nature's become unbalanced in suburbia (where I live). We humans have eliminated the larger predators (wolves, bears) so that the deer are massively overpopulated. The deer are being hit by cars and starving all over.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Master
Seems most of us have caught a glimpse of this unpleasant reality and it makes me cry, in spite of the fact I think nothing of buying a burger or eating a bowl of chili where someone else has done the dirty work. It's harsh and perplexing.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:17 AM
Ascender

It's the circle of life. There's not much you can really do. I believe in leaving nature alone and letting it take it's course. That poor little duckling though, I would cry as well. My prayers go to that precious little darling.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:17 AM
Sentientno1

In the realm of nature all things are interdependant. The duckling fed the pike so the pike could lay eggs so the ducklings could feed on the fish's babies, and so life continues...there is a symetry to it all.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:22 PM
iolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
A couple of days ago I witnessed a Duckling being taken away by a Pike (A fish), I saw it's mother trying so hard to rescue it and so did I. The Pike kept taking the Duckling underwater though and I'm guessing it must of drowned it before it ate it.
The reason I'm telling you this is because it's had a real effect on me. I was in tears and have had a hard time dealing with it since. It was the look on the Ducklings face, it was so scared and I wanted to save it so much.
As someone who adores nature and claims nature to be my God, it can often appear cruel too. My blessings to the lovely little Duckling.

Greg...

I too have done my share of rescuing wild creatures. I feel that I was placed there to be of help. I do not agree with wild life naturalists that we shouldn't interfere. While I understand that wild animals live life on the edge and can die from starvation, injury or predator; if I happen to be in a situation where I can rescue an animal so it can live another day, then I will intervene. Sometimes I can help, other times I can just be there and keep it company as it slips away or offer up a prayer if I come along too late.

Last edited by iolite : 12-05-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Scibat

As some say Nature is a mother. I always say nature is a (rhymes with witch).
Old 12-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg

I hear ya brother. Personally I'm not convinced nature is all so natural.
A part of me sees, in the bonds I have made with certain wildlife, a reconnecting of sorts.
As if things were not always this way and have evolved to what you see.
But that's me...........I'm probably just too emotional when it comes to such things.