Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 13-11-2010, 04:55 AM
Pathfinder
I just help people because I want to. It's nice knowing that you helped someone out, improved their day, even if it's just a little bit :)
Old 13-11-2010, 05:15 AM
Master
I think that the ones who don't go to church or believe in spirituality are probably the ones who do the most, but also are the quiet achievers, as Novaspirit pointed out..
Old 13-11-2010, 05:33 AM
pre-dawn

Declaring a charity as atheist would achieve nothing except to exclude some people. That would be contrary to their humanistic aims. An atheist charity, would be incongruent, thus you won't find any.

Christian, Islamic, or Buddhist charity, etc. is just an organziational label about who set it up. It should not indicate who can contribute, who can work for it, and whom it serves.
Humanistic is probably the broadest label one can use.
Old 13-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Master
I'm norti starting this thread hope everyone don't argue over it I felt bad later thinking its not a very peace promoting topic soreeeee
Old 13-11-2010, 07:40 AM
arive nan

Well, we're getting along so far :).
Old 13-11-2010, 08:09 AM
PrincessKLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
I was thinking today about atheism and the belief you are your own god

It got me wondering how many Atheist charities there must be.They must be hiding them well because I couldn't find any easy. However on the other hand christian charity Search showed up more than I was willing to count.

This made me wonder is this Atheism thing just an excuse to do nothing to help fellow people and justify it somehow?

With this question, I am sure there probably is some really nice atheist charity workers, but this is about the philosophy of Atheism and how its beliefs reflect on/ benefit their fellow man.

No, there's plenty of religious people, including Christians who try to justify selfish behavior. Probably moreso than the average Aethist. Aethist are basically glorified scientist/humanist. They see things from a more scientific sense to human life. Rather that's biological, psychological, etc.
Old 13-11-2010, 09:15 AM
debbie.b

all this is still beside the point. being athiest or being religious still doesn't matter as to whether you are a charitable or kind, helpful person.
i'll give you an example of how unkind a christian person can be. my ex boss is a church pastor, i had to take 2 months off work to care for my mum who was dying of cancer. i was entitled to pay while i was off the 2 months due to government law but he chose to pay me nothing. not a penny. i asked & asked but still he gave me nothing. when my mum died i had no money at all, not even to buy her flowers for the funeral so i sent a txt message to my boss begging him for what i was owed & explained why i needed it. still, nothing...........is that very christian???!!!! so it doesnt matter what your beliefs, there are good & not so good people in all walks of life.
Old 13-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Master
Quote:
I was thinking today about atheism and the belief you are your own god
Atheists don't believe in deities.

Quote:
It got me wondering how many Atheist charities there must be.They must be hiding them well because I couldn't find any easy. However on the other hand christian charity Search showed up more than I was willing to count.
You probably live in a Christian country, which is why you see it that way. I know many people who care about the lives of poor people, who care about animal rights, and rights for women and homosexuals. They aren't all Christians. I live in Europe, and Europeans give a lot of charity. However, there's also a rise of scepticism towards charity, because it doesn't always come in the right hands.
Quote:
This made me wonder is this Atheism thing just an excuse to do nothing to help fellow people and justify it somehow?
Are you saying you need to believe in a deity to help others?
Old 13-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
Atheists don't believe in deities.

You probably live in a Christian country, which is why you see it that way. I know many people who care about the lives of poor people, who care about animal rights, and rights for women and homosexuals. They aren't all Christians. I live in Europe, and Europeans give a lot of charity. However, there's also a rise of scepticism towards charity, because it doesn't always come in the right hands. Are you saying you need to believe in a deity to help others?
not really, I was wondering why atheists don't have nominated charities that can be found in Google search.

things like this

http://www.compassion.com.au/

http://buddhism.about.com/b/2009/08/...on-victims.htm

http://www.muslimhands.org/en/gb/

http://www.washingtonbanglaradio.com...taged-children

http://www.taoist.org.au/content/sta...mensPlace_so30

I found those effortlessly they were ones among lots in each category

It is a fair question, at face value it seems everybody else seems to have some outreach happening, how come atheism as an organization or belief doesn't do it with their name to some organized charities.

Ie Atheist outreach to flood victims in Pakistan etc

OR Atheists as a group continually support a needy thing on an ongoing basis?

Or Atheists raise a million dollars for homeless children etc

You know what I mean.
Old 13-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Master
Quote:
You know what I mean.
Atheism isn't a belief or a organisation.

If atheists want to help poor people, animals, homosexuals, children, minority groups, etc,
they don't feel the need to tell everyone they are helping ''in the name of atheism''. They just help.