Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 04-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Knower
Imbolc

How did you all celebrate Imbolc?

It is very cold where I live with about a foot of snow on the ground so no outdoor celebrations for me. I lit some candles to symbolize the light and warmth of the return of the sun.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:01 AM
Master

Yes, hope y'all had a happy Imbolc.

Imbolg is Brighid's Day so I perform the Imbolg rite of inviting Brighid into my home. This is done on the eve of Imbolg as dusk is falling. The house is cleaned and cleansed from top to bottom, a special corn dolly is made to represent the Goddess and she is ritually invited into the home, into the hearth area and white candles lit all around her. This is a ritual that is done by the woman (or the women) of the house but the men can give her a gift. Food and milk and some corn for Brighid's little red-eared is left out, too.

It's my favourite festival of the year because Brighid is my patron deity
Old 05-02-2015, 09:10 AM
Master
Imbolc.

IMBOLC

Imbolc is also known as Candlemas, and Oimealg by the Druids. It is derived from the Gaelic word "oimelc," which means "ewe's milk." Imbolc was the festival of the lactating sheep. This, for the Celts, was a time when the herd animals were giving birth to their first offspring of the year, and was also a time for blessing the seeds and consecrating agricultural tools. Imbolc is a festival of the Maiden aspect of the goddess, for this is her season to prepare for growth and renewal. It is a time to honor her as the Bride of the Sun King, the god- for soon they will unite in sacred marriange. Imbolc is celebrated on February 1 or 2.

Decorations- white flowers, besoms, sunflowers, candles
Foods- sunflowers seeds, poppyseed cakes, breads, dairy products, peppers, onions, wine, and tea
Herbs- basil, violets, white flowers, blackberry, myrrh, angelica, cinnamon, bay, wisteria
Colors- white, pink, green, brown, red

First stirrings of Spring occur now, and for our ancient villagers, a busy time with lambing. Not only the births, but the protection of the lambs and their mothers from weather, and predators, bears and wolves, also carrion birds and foxes. The flocks were guarded night and day.

A hungry time, the winter stores would be just about exhausted, so any casualties in the flocks would become a welcome addition to the pot.

Also, if the ground was thawed enough, ploughing and planting would begin.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:47 AM
Ascender

Hi Norseman. You mention tea as a traditional drink at this time of year. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't tea come to Britain about the same time as tobacco, approximately 1600-1700.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Crow
Yes, hope y'all had a happy Imbolc.

Imbolg is Brighid's Day so I perform the Imbolg rite of inviting Brighid into my home. This is done on the eve of Imbolg as dusk is falling. The house is cleaned and cleansed from top to bottom, a special corn dolly is made to represent the Goddess and she is ritually invited into the home, into the hearth area and white candles lit all around her. This is a ritual that is done by the woman (or the women) of the house but the men can give her a gift. Food and milk and some corn for Brighid's little red-eared is left out, too.

It's my favourite festival of the year because Brighid is my patron deity

That sounds wonderful, Jenny!!

I like reading about origins, norseman. Do you celebrate the Sabbats?
Old 06-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Master
Shaunc, looks like tea was a late-comer to Britain. But I think, in context, "tea" could mean any herbal brew perhaps.

http://www.britainexpress.com/History/tea-in-britain.htm

Treehugger, I celebrate some of the festivals - Beltain and Mabon are celebrated at Thornborough which is our local henge [old as Stonehenge] . Samhain ,to me, is a private celebration when I "Stride the Hedge" i.e. Journeying. I do have my own "temple" in the Yorkshire Dales where my Spirit Guide and I have our own celebrations apart from the calender.

This is my only image of my spirit guide , reflected in my glasses. I was on my own in my oak planting wood !
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/Specs2E_zps864b7019.png

Last edited by norseman : 06-02-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:23 PM
Knower
Thank you for sharing that, norseman! I see an image!!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:09 PM
Master
Very insightful, thank you for the post.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:49 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Shaunc, looks like tea was a late-comer to Britain. But I think, in context, "tea" could mean any herbal brew perhaps.

http://www.britainexpress.com/History/tea-in-britain.htm

]

Thanks Norseman. Tea is also popular in Australia as it was originally a British colony. One of our native trees here melaleuca is also known as tea tree. Because of a shortage of tea our first arrivals used melaleuca leaves instead. It also has a lot of other properties.