Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 09-02-2014, 03:59 AM
Raven Poet

Women's intuitive abilities and moon time

Hi there. First, a warning: if any of you get embarrassed or uncomfortable with mention of women's menstrual cycles, please know you might be uncomfortable reading this post.

I wanted to put it out there, does anyone else think that women have a natural intuitive ability that is linked with our moon cycles?

I am finding, in my later years, that when Grandmother moon visits me, I am much more intuitive. And the more I trust my intuition, the stronger it gets. So ... it's almost like my moon time is a process by which I, as a woman, can strengthen my intuition. Maybe? still thinkin' it through here. Cuz I asked myself, what happens to my intuition when my time stops at menopause? I hope it remains, because I've strengthened/developed it from my years of moon times.

I was recently at a conference where Elders talked about women's traditional role as leaders in Indigenous communities. and I wondered, is it because we are naturally more intuitive, which thus makes us able to provide an empathic, effective decision? We feel what others feel, and have empathy for their hurt, so our decisions reflect the needs of others that we aim to serve as leaders? (BTW, I am not calling myself a leader, but I am a helper.)

Please note: I am NOT saying men are not intuitive. I know some very intuitive men, like some of the medicine men I see doctoring at ceremonies. But I think they've either had to do some extra work to develop it, or were especially gifted with intuitive powers to be leaders and healers in their community. Interestingly, a lot of the helper men I know, I can feel feminine energy in them too - they are in a male body but have feminine energy within them.

I think intuition, as an inherent ability, is something that goes into a woman's body upon incarnation ... and whether she develops/trusts/works with it or not is her choice.

This was the connection I made when I heard the Elder talk about women's leadership roles. If I sound sexist or stereotyping, please know that I do not mean to. I respect men's gifts and strengths equally as I do women's gifts and strengths.

And what about our Two-spirited brothers and sisters, as well? Any T.S. folks here who have an insight on this inquiry?

Please join the respectful discussion - I am really curious to hear what others think.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Experiencer
I truly do believe that during our cycle, we become stronger, in more ways than one, albeit usually mentally or spiritually. (I don't know about you, but my physical strength goes out the window when my cramps hit...) There are plenty of spiritual systems --Native, pagan, or otherwise-- that herald the "time of the woman". I have read about it strengthening everything from intuition, to spiritual innateness, to straight up magic ability. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of other spiritual systems that take this special time in a woman's life (as annoying as it may be some days) and turns it into a thing to hate. Something dirty, that causes you to become irrational, and cRAzy!! A time that makes you less important, just because your child-giving body is letting you know that you still have the ability to do so. I think for the most part, it comes down to what system you follow, as to whether you gain or lose strength during your cycle. Honestly, I think the correlation between increased irrationality can be correlated to most women's awareness increasing, and therefore, they make decisions that are more out of the ordinary, because they can sense "when something is up", I suppose.

As to the menopause, I think the times of increased awareness between you now, and you then will certainly increase your max ability (like EXP for leveling up). If menopause completely shut off the increase you have come to know over your lifetime, I'm certain there would be more women walking around going mildly insane, because it feels like a part of them has been lost forever. I don't think that whatever higher power you believe in would give you something for your entire life just because you can have children, and then when you stop being able to, takes it away like a punishment. I would honestly think that you will be rewarded with an increased awareness at the end of your fertility, but you will not be able to reach the highs you once could while menstruating, but you will never hit those lows again, just because you can't have children anymore.

I don't know if this helped, or if this was even relevant. It just felt like it needed to be said.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Experiencer
http://yogagoddess.ca/discover-the-a...n-your-undies/

An interesting perspective.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:47 PM
Master

For me - no!

I'm so grumpy, so moody, and I have to take prescription painkillers.

I have tried reiki, essential oils, and a lot of other things but nothing makes a difference. Intuition is just out of the window as - yes - I can over-ride things if I have to but I generally choose to take a break from such things at that time of the month.

I'm conscious that I'm probably approaching the end of my cycles and there is a specific energy therein which I would like to harness, and so I do try and reconcile to the divine feminine - with a sort of joy - but that joy is very much through gritted teeth.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Deactivated Account

Possibly. Almost makes me think of how the strong ocean tides are affected by the moon(true scientific fact)
But,I am a complete emotional mess during that time.I am crabby and if your on my bad side I'll lash out (mama don't play ). Most of the time, I'm just somber,and honestly,I would rather be hiding under the sheets in a fetal position, just not a good time to talk to me.

I find I am more intuitive on an empty stomach(like mornings or late nights) drinking tea or coffee..
Old 10-02-2014, 12:00 AM
livingkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Poet
I am finding, in my later years, that when Grandmother moon visits me, I am much more intuitive. And the more I trust my intuition, the stronger it gets. So ... it's almost like my moon time is a process by which I, as a woman, can strengthen my intuition. Maybe? still thinkin' it through here. Cuz I asked myself, what happens to my intuition when my time stops at menopause? I hope it remains, because I've strengthened/developed it from my years of moon times.

As an ex-probation officer I can say I've had experiences w/both fe/males being affected by a full moon ...
I've read there is no correlation between a full moon & human behavior ...
Okay, whatever, but I've witnessed it so I believe in it ...
Not everything that happens in the universe can be examined or explained ...
Things happen, we either choose to believe or not ...

As for female intuition, it certainly can be developed especially since women is given an added advantage over men ...
Our sense of smell is more developed than our counterpart; it helps us to identify our offspring ...
We are also able to read emotions/body language, identify feelings, detect illness in others, but mostly w/our young ...

I have not lost any of my intuitive abilities due to menopause ...
I've read its strength can diminish w/age, however, I believe some things simply become part of our nature ...
Many use their intuition on a daily basis to navigative life & read people, therefore, I believe it prevents reduction as well losing it completely ....

A good women's studies book I've begun to read again is:
"Women Who Run with the Wolves" by Clarissa Pinkola Estes ...
http://new-age.free-books.biz/Women-...es-PDF-55.html

As for Two Spirits, this aired on PBS last year(?) ...
Its quite good ...
http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/t...rits/film.html

I'm so very happy you have taken a great interest in both subjects ...
Old 10-02-2014, 12:10 AM
Deactivated Account
There are probably several good articles on this, but I googled my old ob/gyn because she has written several books and I remember her telling me how women shouldn't ignore uncomfortable thoughts/anger/fears that arise before menstruation because these are the issues that need to be addressed for healing and health. This was the first article that popped up; the last few paragraphs address your question:
http://www.drnorthrup.com/womensheal...p?topic_id=138
Old 10-02-2014, 04:04 AM
Raven Poet

Hey, this is great conversation. Thanks! For you sistahs who are hurtin hard when Grandmother moon visits, I am so sorry. I wish you much comfort, hot water bottles, and chocolate!

I'm told there was a time, when our communities lived in balance and had respect for each gender's roles and gifts, women went to the Moon lodge for the duration of their moon time. It was time off from our duties. People would look after our children/family, home, chores, bring us food ... all we had to do was lounge about and be taken care of. I say, let's bring the Moon Lodge Tradition back! Then when the women who have pain when on their moon would be well looked after!

Livingkarma - it's so cool you referred to Women/Wolves. It was the first "self-help" book I ever read, and it took me THREE YEARS to read it (what can I say, I am a turtle-reader.) And two years ago a few friends and I had a book study on it. Should be given to every girl-child born!

Later this week, I am going to check out the links you all have so kindly posted.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:22 AM
Deactivated Account

Oh my,I have never heard of this book,Women Who Run with the Wolves" by Clarissa Pinkola Estes. I just googled some excerpts and I love what I am reading,thanks for the recommendation Livingkarma,
Old 10-02-2014, 06:30 AM
livingkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueClover
Oh my,I have never heard of this book,Women Who Run with the Wolves" by Clarissa Pinkola Estes. I just googled some excerpts and I love what I am reading,thanks for the recommendation Livingkarma,

Glad this old "70s feminist could be of help ...