Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 29-02-2012, 11:10 AM
sbachman

Best Way to Learn Hebrew?

Hey everyone, I had been trying to find a good Jewish forum where I can ask questions (there aren't many religious Jews where I live).

In addition to learning as much Torah and Talmud as I can, I also want to learn more Hebrew to help me to understand Torah and to get by better whenever I visit Israel. I think I found a few good ways, but I was wondering if people would have any advice. Any help would be appreciated!

1. Rosetta Stone at rosettastone.com -- It seems expensive, but does it work?
2. Online classes at universities at a place like hebrewcollege.edu -- Same question!
3. The Israeli Network at tin.tv -- They show Israeli TV outside Israel with English subtitles.

Any thoughts on these or other methods would be appreciated! Thanks for any insights!

Sam
Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Yamah

4. Spend a year in Yeshivah in Israel. Lots of yeshivas here have short-term programs exactly for this reason - to boost your Torah and Hebrew knowledge to the level where you can feel comfortable and confident with the texts. Most of the Yeshivas that offer this kind of thing have a sliding scale for payment which, if you need it, can go all the way down to $0.00.

I highly recommend doing this if you are serious about learning. I can recommend a Yeshivah to you if you would like and try to get some contact info if you'd like to call yourself.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamah
4. Spend a year in Yeshivah in Israel. Lots of yeshivas here have short-term programs exactly for this reason - to boost your Torah and Hebrew knowledge to the level where you can feel comfortable and confident with the texts. Most of the Yeshivas that offer this kind of thing have a sliding scale for payment which, if you need it, can go all the way down to $0.00.

I highly recommend doing this if you are serious about learning. I can recommend a Yeshivah to you if you would like and try to get some contact info if you'd like to call yourself.

Y-

On his introduction of himself on another thread, Sam indicated that he is a Christian. Will any of those yeshivot allow him entry?

B'shalom,

Peter
Old 03-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Yamah

Oh... Nevermind then.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:58 AM
Joshua_G

Hi Sam,
It seems to me that #3 (watching TV) may be quite helpful once you know Hebrew enough to follow conversations.
Between #1 and #2, it's up to anyone's inclination. Some learn better from cassettes/CDs, while others learn better from live classes.

BTW, you may get along fairly well in Israel speaking English only, but please don't be discouraged from your wish to learn Hebrew, it has its' own merits.
Old 27-03-2012, 12:47 PM
HebrewEnthusiast

Hebrew News

Hi,

As someone living in Israel and originally coming from America, I think reading and listening to the news is a great way to learn. There are a bunch of easy to read Hebrew newspapers, like Bere**** and Yanshuf (hebrewtoday <dot> com). Hope it helps!
\