Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 29-11-2014, 03:53 AM
Raven Poet

Asemaa is for the Spirits not the person receiving it

I recently listened to an Elder share a teaching about the Tobacco Offering that is undertaken by a person who approaches a traditional knowledge keeper or an Elder to ask for help.

She said that the Tobacco, or Asemaa in our language, starts doing its work the moment the person seeking help takes it into their hand. Another traditional helper said they can hear the Tobacco "talk to them", telling them the knowledge or guidance to share with the one seeking help.

This Elder also said one of her Elders told her once, there is too much Tobacco flying around this world. At first this perplexed me. But she went on to say that people are often in too much of a rush to take the time to pray with the Tobacco and let it do its work. So they run to a store, buy Tobacco, and go off to a ceremony with it without taking time to put their intentions and prayers into it, so the Tobacco is "wasted".

This blew my mind. It made me understand more how powerful this plant medicine is. It acts as a conduit - which another Elder said; Tobacco "opens doors" he said. Doors between us on Earth and the Spirit world, where the Spirits live and are happy to give help to those asking for it.

I've heard some people refer to the Tobacco offering as a "gift" for the Elder or knowledge keeper, but I don't see it this way. I see the Asemaa as a channel to the Spirits which is activated by the person who understands the sacred purpose of Tobacco. I also understand it as a form of our commitment to our spiritual quest that we offer to the Spirit world as testament to what we say we will do. The Spirits are the ones in purest form of light and love and they are the ones who bring the knowledge, guidance, and healing to us on Earth.

And the best thing, in my mind, is that Asemaa gives me a direct line to the Spirit world. No "middle man" is needed. I can take that Tobacco and pray with it, and I know my prayers will be heard. That's how powerful the Tobacco is.

However, I still enjoy approaching Elders and knowledge keepers for help in my life. Since they have so much lived experience as a human, I am so grateful that they are available for us to help us navigate our troubles and challenges.

So when I ask an Elder for guidance, I feel I get the benefit of their lived experience and the benefit of the Spirits' guidance as channeled to the Elder through the Asemaa. That is also why I give a gift of a material form to the Elder, like money or useable items like dishes, towels, or any other tools that help them with their physical life. Because, as Elders have said, you can't pay your rent or buy groceries with Tobacco!
Old 29-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Master

I agree, and I think it is a common nomer for all religions: Too many rituals and prayers, not enough intent. It's just ritual for the sake of ritual, or going to a certain appointed place at a certain time to do the weekly rituals - so your neighbors can see you are doing it.

I strongly believe in prayers. And in ritual tobacco too. But a force without a direction has neither purpose nor impact.
Old 30-11-2014, 03:09 AM
Raven Poet

I like that: a force without direction has neither purpose nor impact. That's what intention is - that force that "should" have purpose and direction in order to have impact, or to bring about the desired outcome. Thank you for sharing this.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Experiencer
Just when I thought it was time to navigate away from the page, I find this, and who else would it be, handing out knowledge and advice to those who seek it, but you? You always seem to have something to say, that speaks to me.

I have tobacco (I keep a pouch in my freezer, and one on my altar) and it's a little surprising that people will hand it over just to hand it over. I sort of don't get it, but I'm also kind of new to the game. I keep it for prayers, and any time I use it, or sprinkle it in offering, it just seems right to say a little prayer, or at least speak your intentions or thanks with it. I guess I'm a little different, though, standing on the outside...

I like the idea of giving material items with/in place of the gift, because you're right, tobacco doesn't pay rent. =) I'll have to keep that in mind if I am ever lucky enough to give my first asemaa to kind man I met. I just hope I see him again before he passes away. I owe him a lot.
Old 23-01-2015, 03:53 AM
Raven Poet

Hello, little sister. So glad you find what helps guide you!

And I hope you reconnect with that kind man too. But ... if he does goes Home before you do, you can still give him that Asemaa! That stuff goes beyond the physical world - it carries our messages straight to the Spirit World! (But it would be nice for you to see him and give it to him in person!)
Old 23-01-2015, 04:57 AM
CarryingEagle

From what I understand (in short terms) smoking tobacco is a direct link between Yourself, Mother Earth, and Great Spirit. It is a shame how the tobacco companies have turned such powerful medicine into a monopoly.
Old 23-01-2015, 05:04 PM
Suspended
I use Mountain Tobacco that is found in the mountains in the Navajo Reservation. I try to never use commercial tobacco.
Old 24-01-2015, 12:20 AM
Guide
Location: Up a mountain communing with the Grandfathers, Ancestors, Ravens n Horses beside the Stones
I also only use naturally grown and properly collected tobacco, it come's to me via a friend whose a Medicine carrier with one if the Shipibo tribes of Peru. I don't even like the smell of commercial tobacco.

Makoiyi

Here's where we go off the map.
Out past the power lines,
up that little side road without a sign.
Hidden from the mainstream.

Keeper's of the Ancient future, Keepers of the Drum.
They don't preserve it.....
They live it......!
Old 25-01-2015, 12:23 AM
Raven Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryingEagle
From what I understand (in short terms) smoking tobacco is a direct link between Yourself, Mother Earth, and Great Spirit. It is a shame how the tobacco companies have turned such powerful medicine into a monopoly.
Yeah, the Ancients, how I understand, drew the smoke into their mouths to carry their prayer words to the Spirit world. We never were meant to inhale the medicine, as it is so powerful that it forms addiction. (This said as a person with a cigarette addiction!)

But when I pray with my Pipe I do not inhale the smoke. I take it into my mouth while I am praying then release the smoke to carry those prayers to where they need to go.
Old 25-01-2015, 12:25 AM
Raven Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoiyi
I also only use naturally grown and properly collected tobacco, it come's to me via a friend whose a Medicine carrier with one if the Shipibo tribes of Peru. I don't even like the smell of commercial tobacco.

Makoiyi
Sounds lovely. We are fortunate to have an Indigenous company in this part of Canada that grows and harvests organic Tobacco, and that is what I use when I pray.

It smells beautiful - rich and warm, like the Earth itself!