Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 17-01-2012, 09:19 PM
midnightstar

Red face Probably a stupid question

I am completely new to tarot and have recently pushed the boat out and bought myself a pack of tarot cards but I've got a question that's not covered in the book that came with the pack

Do you shuffle the major arcana and the minor arcana together as one pack or do you shuffle both seperately and pull x number of cards from each pile

Told you it was a stupid question I bet the answer's obvious lol
Old 17-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Master
That's not stupid at all. I bought myself a standard deck a long time ago, and I'm lazy and can't bring myself to wade through all that history etc. and um, well yeah, that question came up for me, too. I did manage to do some half way decent readings for a couple of people. Ty bd.

Old 17-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Master
I shuffle them all together

Old 17-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Master
I shuffle them all together then if you get majors it's a major issue...and vice versa for minors.
Old 18-01-2012, 07:54 PM
green

i shuffle them together most of the times, but there are some very special spreads where you use only the major or the minor ones and then i shuffle and use only those i need.

G
Old 11-02-2012, 12:24 AM
ExploreTheGreen

I am learning the tarot myself and the book I am using "Modern Magick" recommends working with the 22 major arcana first without the other cards at all. So it depends on how you want to learn or work with your deck.

Have fun!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:29 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautydylan
I am completely new to tarot and have recently pushed the boat out and bought myself a pack of tarot cards but I've got a question that's not covered in the book that came with the pack

Do you shuffle the major arcana and the minor arcana together as one pack or do you shuffle both seperately and pull x number of cards from each pile

Told you it was a stupid question I bet the answer's obvious lol

Yes, you shuffle the major and minor together, all 78 cards. Before you begin, decide on the question you want to ask the cards. As you shuffle them all, you can ask the question out loud, to yourself, or think it privately to yourself. Continue shuffling until you feel its done.

The way I was taught, after shuffling cut the cards was to put them into 3 separate piles. Traditionally the left hand is used to make the cut because it's the hand of the subconscous mind and reveals what the subconscious knows about your question. If your left handed then you'd use the right hand.

If you're going to try reading for someone else, watch how they cut the cards in three. Cutting from left to right shows they'd like to know about the future. Cut from right to left, the person is more concerned of patterns from the past.

Also the three piles are significant. the one on the bottom of the pile represents the past, the 2nd pile represents the present and the 3rd the future. You can use these piles as a past, present, future reading if you'd like

Now ask the person you're reading for, (or if its for you, to put the 3 pile of cards back together and hand them to you. Now you're ready to place the cards starting from the top into any type of tarot spread you'd like and is significant for the question asked.

If you'd like to really dive into the cards, there's a terrific forum on just the tarot http://www.tarotforum.net/ there's alot of great people there to help you get started
Old 11-02-2012, 01:35 AM
Arawn

I don't use a basic tarot deck and instead use the Magical Menagerie so my method is probably a little different. I just shuffle together because there are no Major or Minor Arcana in it.

I've heard of people shuffling the Major and Minor together, but I've also heard of them doing it separately. Shuffling them together makes more sense to me because it seems like that would give a more accurate/helpful spread.
Old 18-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Master
I am a novice too and learning, i shuffle all my card's together, i have not tried cutting the decks as of yet, just take the top card's when doing my spreads, have fun and enjoy.
Love GA ;) xx