Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Welcome to Spiritual Forums > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 24-01-2007, 12:27 AM
tiltjlp

Thanks for your posts everyone. Sorry I locked it at first, but I never imagined there would be that much interest in this topic. And the sad fact of life is that although I made my post as only a member, I have administrator chained to my ankle, which I try to forget, but it's always there.

And Lapis, I think a sticky thread where we can all add words that might have different regional of national meanings, and any kind of inoffensive slang would be great. It would be nice to read messages from our friends in the UK and not acratch my head wondering what they said. Sort of wondering why I didn't think of that myself. So does anyone have a suggestion for a Short & Catchy title for the slang thread?

PS: I changed the title of this thread to Formatting Suggestion, since I guess I've become known as the Rules Guy. No problem Rose, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

John

Last edited by tiltjlp : 21-04-2007 at 03:46 AM.
Old 24-01-2007, 01:14 AM
ljepotica

I completely agree 200% with you John (although 200% doesn't exist)

When I look at a long post I immediately fall asleep and decide to look elsewhere even if the thread is something I agree with and find fascinating-sorry if I do offend but I am not a fan of reading an entire dissertation and if people want to make a point then either they should break their threads up into sizeable paragraphs or put their points across in more than one post...sorry but I have no time for dissertation style threads or posts...

There are no rules here in fact I have felt like posting a thread like this John and I'm sure that there are others out there that agree with you and me...

Anyone who is posting a thread should be aware of others reading it-just because you can write five thousand words with no break in-between doesn't mean that others will want to read all that you have written-have some consideration about others-fine if you want to get a point across but please use a number of paragraphs.

I stick to what I have written above and am sorry if it offends anybody but I will stick by what I have written-well done on this thread John!!!!!

And I'm not an editor:)

Lots of love,

S xxx
Old 24-01-2007, 05:53 AM
Pounamu

I, too, agree with John; writing is an art work, and "something beautiful is a joy forever"; so why not make one's posts as beautiful as possible?
I have a reasonably good facility with the English language, so perhaps its easier for me than for some others to Capitalise, punctuate, and paragraph; but its just a matter of forming the habit, then it begins to "come naturally", and makes so much more joyful reading!
Old 24-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Master
hmmmm....I think some of you might be forgetting that in a forum like this it would be wonderful to encourage even those who do NOT speak English as fluently to join our discussions. English speaking people are not the only ones with valid, valuable insights.

Writing is an artform, I agree, and although it's really nice to read well written, easily understood posts, I must insist that a thread like this is likely to drive away some people who could offer us much in the way of content even if the 'form' isn't exactly what we'd find the easiest to read.

I'm disappointed that there seem to be so many people hung up on format rather than content.

JOY is the evidence of internal growth ~ Marie Montessori
Old 24-01-2007, 01:42 PM
ljepotica

MG:

I don't mind incorrect grammar or punctuation as I understand that there are people from all different countries here but very long posts are off putting to many people and there is a danger of someone loosing interest in what would otherwise be a fascinating subject.

Besides that I always get stuck/confused over a very long post with no fragments and I have to firstly concentrate as to where I am-by that time I loose track of what the writer has written and have to go back to the beginning again only to get stuck/confused over where I have gotten and this keeps on happening and so I loose interest and the content is lost on me.

Anyhow it's up to people in the end:)

Lots of love,

S xxx
Old 24-01-2007, 01:45 PM
tiltjlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Goose
hmmmm....I think some of you might be forgetting that in a forum like this it would be wonderful to encourage even those who do NOT speak English as fluently to join our discussions. English speaking people are not the only ones with valid, valuable insights.

Writing is an artform, I agree, and although it's really nice to read well written, easily understood posts, I must insist that a thread like this is likely to drive away some people who could offer us much in the way of content even if the 'form' isn't exactly what we'd find the easiest to read.

I'm disappointed that there seem to be so many people hung up on format rather than content.

You have a valid point MG, up to a point. In fact I'm going to edit my original post to edit out any comments not specific to paragraph formatting. But I feel my suggestion/request is reasonable. No matter what the content, if a five screen post is one continuous block of text, a lot of members won't read the post. So basically all I'm saying is this; if your message is important enough to you to post in the first place, I assume you hope everyone on the forum reads it. While that won't happen, you can make it more likely that everyone who clicks on your post will read it if the presentation is neat and orderly. I feel Content and Presentation go hand-in-hand.

John
Old 24-01-2007, 02:09 PM
ljepotica

Yes I agree John,

Many people are not going to read your post if it's very long and so what is a fascinating subject will not be understood and ignored by many who would otherwise read the post and give some feedback...

Besides when reading posts many people also get distracted-phone ringing, someone on the street making a lot of noise, someone playing loud music, someone you live with perhaps coming and asking you if you'd like a cup of tea and if you're trying to concentrate on a long post then you loose your concentration and have to go back again-and maybe even to the beginning and so the meaning of the long post-no matter how well written becomes lost on you.

S xxx
Old 24-01-2007, 11:11 PM
BLAIR2BE

ill step in and agree upon one point made here; those posts that go on forever with hundreds of words get ignored by me usually (unless im already into the discussion). to me a those kinds of posts are not part of a discussion as much as they are an essay. i do not visit forums for essays, i have my own favorite sights for such things. but, i do not get irritated or offended or anything else either way. in fact, i dont really know why im taking the time to post here, so , bye!!;)
Old 25-01-2007, 05:27 AM
rose

this is a discussion of opinions and it's good for all sides to have their say. i personally agree with mother goose. i feel her and i need to voice another side as we both worry about accidentally alienating new comers. hence why i speak up on certain matters. sometimes just to voice another side. same with MG i presume. we are not disagreeing with the thread just to be contrary. just voicing how we feel. and it's great to be able to do so.

i like big gaps between paragraphs myself. it is easier to read. personally i like the egalitarian option of not using capitals. maybe it seems strange to others but i like NOT giving reverence to things except a higher power. therefore most people's names will be spelt by me without capitals :) i'm sure this doesn't offend people as i do the same with my own name. it's not about egos.

in beginning a new sentence the full stop (period) before the first word shows this. how many guidelines does one need?

as american and british english have evolved differently then it's hard to find universal rules in english anymore. maybe we should agree to disagree and let the language flow as it feels right to each individual writer. just my two cents. :) call me a pointless rebel without a cause if you wish. it's only language. with so many different languages out there it's not a big deal really so i'll finally shut up :)
Old 25-01-2007, 07:56 AM
tiltjlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose

i like big gaps between paragraphs myself.

Then we're in complete agreement Rose, because all I'm really asking for is paragraph formatting. But since I was an editor for roughly 30 years, and still to a few projects still, it's impossible for me to totally ignore those other aspects. It's not that big an issue, I'll simply pass over any eight screen posts, or even one screener's that are solid blocks of text.

John
Closed Thread