Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 22-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Administrator
Hello

Mediumship is the term used to describe someone who claim to have the ability to communicate with the Dead or Spirit World. This is not yet been scientifically proven of disproved . From the scientific point of view a medium is simply doing a cold reading. Getting information from what is said. In face to face readings using facial and body reactions.

Testing the information given though rules a lot of this out.

A psychic is from the Greek psychikos - “of the mind, mental”

A psychic is one that has the ability to see the hidden information. Psychics are readers whom use many levels of tools to obtain the information. Often called Fortune Tellers really I feel one is just more in tune with their inner intuitions and is able to pick up on the energies from other’s around them or the World around them.

This again is something we can all access but when it comes to “ reading” others respect on the privacy level should be understood and respected. On many levels its almost an invasion of one’s personal space to read someone without permissions in place. Too one has to learn levels of compassions so that what information is shared does not do harm.

Automatic Writing

What is Automatic Writing ? Well it is said to be writings that do not come from conscious thoughts. Often the writer has no clue in what one is writing or typing or even drawing . For some it springs forth from a meditative state of being or in a dream state. At times to the writer is very away they be writing and just let it free from them. One will see the fingers more on the keys or the pen in motion but they are not in control of what is said.

For some the writings are form tansmediumship where one has Spirit contacts. This can be done on many a level. Some feel comfortable enough to let the Spirit enter to them to pass on a message. While other times one is the tool for the communications. One hears the message and writes the words. One is in control of one’s mind and body but is being the tool for understandings and receiving a message. Messages from Spirit can be very personal message that go to a family member or can be general messages for the Earth.

Clairvoyance

The term Clairvoyance dates to the 17th Century with roots in French language with “clair” meaning “clear” and “voyance” meaning “ vision”. it is the pathway to gain information about a person , place or object without the use of the commonly known Five Senses. A person with the sixth sense ability is called a “Clairvoyant”.

While this can and has been tested and does at times get linked to what we call Paranormal or psychic abilities it might well simply just be a part of the MIND ( being Soul) we come forth with. It is not widely accepted by the science communities but is well studied by them so does leave one to think maybe there is truly something to it all.

Clairvoyance too is not to be confused with Mediumship or Remote Viewing. Again here both are separate things. Mediumship is the direct contact with Spirit or Ghost in communications or the access of information. Remote Viewing for the most part is the deliberate action of going to view something with or without leaving the consciousness of the body. Clairvoyance is fully “SEEING”.

Psychic Intution ;

The main difference in one that is psychic and one that is ordinary is just that psychics have learned not to ignore that inner voice. They do not put common sense in the place of intuition thoughts. Psychics have simply learned how to listen with what is often called 'inner ears' and go by more the signals given.

There are many layers to what we be, but we too all be in the same genetic make up our DNA. Just that not all go forth to do things with the ablilities we have. That is maybe for the same reasons some of us choose certain career paths. It is simply what might call out to us.

It was asked if Medium's help other's I personally feel for me that is YES as a Medium/ Pshchic I so feel that I am there for other's along their paths in a possitive and benifiical way. Always respectful that what I share or say is for their Higher and Greater Good. That its not something I would say if it did not have meaning for them that would bring them some peace or move them forwards in a possitive way.

Too I am the first to admit there is YET no proof that one's like me are real, and that is fine. If one knows well whom one is and respects that one works in the White Light then maybe that is one's life path for one's Soul.

The thoughts I put here are mine and are open for debate, as it is simply how I see things no right and not wrong.

Lynn

Old 22-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
"...........just as we are all capable of developing the ability to play a musical instrument... but we are not mediums nor musicians until we have done so."

I think that's a fair statement. It's in the performance that the musician is distinguished from just someone who just plays a musical instrument. Yet the attribute of psychic awareness is somewhat different from that of (evidential) mediumship.

There is no obvious reason why some mediums show their gift from a comparatively young age yet others show it much later in life. And no certainty that having psychic sensitivity will lead on mediumship anyway.... So no matter how much we may speculate on the mechanisms of either attribute, we really know very little and as far as I'm aware, guides and teachers have given little guidance about these issues - I know you'll be happy to correct my ignorance if you have such clear guidance yourself!

Well, I think guides certainly do help in developing communication abilities, but they don't necessarily always tell us how they are doing it! The way they do teach and offer guidance differs very much depending upon the guide and the needs of the individual, but they seem to tend to steer us toward things which are good for our spiritual development in general. Perhaps I'll try asking mine for some more specific advice regarding mediumship and see what happens...

With regard to the last few posts, I would personally say that a medium is simply a person who has a communicative link with the spirit world and is able to bring across messages to the physical world, while what the medium does with that ability (whether it be to present evidence, counsel greiving people, or just spend their spare time chatting with Elvis) is a seperate issue which will probably gather divinding opinions.
Old 22-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Administrator
With regard to the last few posts, I would personally say that a medium is simply a person who has a communicative link with the spirit world and is able to bring across messages to the physical world, while what the medium does with that ability (whether it be to present evidence, counsel greiving people, or just spend their spare time chatting with Elvis) is a seperate issue which will probably gather divinding opinions.

Hello

Like all things we do if it bring peace to someone or personal pleasures to ye then there is no harm in tapping into one's other levels of understandings.

Where the lines are crossed is in where one's use it in a non possitive way to take adavantage of one that is in sorrow's over the loss of someone. I so do not approve of that one but too I understand there is always a balance of good and bad in the World.

At times there be nothing nicer than haveing a chat with a Spirit that has no real person for ye to pass along something too but simply senses ye can hear them or deeper see them and they just want to maybe share in their life story some or the events of one's death.

I have had some amazing stories told to me and in doing some digging deeper into them have come to find that they were true to life. Now that does not mean I go in search of their family unless I am aksed by Spirit to do so, it is simply being the ears to hear them.

For the longest time I felt what I had was honestly a curse, I was like why do I see and hear things I can not do a thing with to come to understand there is always meaning to all interactions, something new to be learned and grow from.

For me its a great blessing to bring at times a family some closure surronding a missing LOVed one, or to settle them that their LOVed on is safely over. The simple words of " thank you " speak volumes for me being me. Took many year's to embrace that now where possible I try and aid othe's in understanding we are all Medium's on some level.

Lynn
Old 22-01-2011, 06:14 PM
themaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
I hope you won't mind my responses in blue text?

I can deal.. it makes the text formating more difficult though..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
OK - that's a catchall response - if we don't get to that same level of achievement it's because we didn't put in enough effort/practice. Not because some have innate 'ability' and others don't?
I believe were all equal.. I don't think I've said otherwise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
a claim without evidence to back it.
And what evidence is sufficient?

What proof do you require?

Scientific study's?

That this channel and this channel said it.. what is the proof that will make you believe? You tell me.. it's you saying it's "not true"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
You'd need to explain that better for me...not disagreeing but I would welcome a wider explanation.
What would you like me to explain?

There is just a "smell" in the air.. a shift in peoples spaces.. if you’re not observing the world you might miss it.. I just have a knowing of changes.. if you don't, no matter.. I'm just saying if you look.. you will notice..

Understand that "law of attraction" is a personal experience and pretty much can only be experimented and proved on a individual basis in my experience.. I have watched thoughts I was thinking attract in mere minutes to a half a hour.. the speed up between thought and attraction is there for me..

Does that work? Is that sufficient?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Now I reckon you might be speaking about mediumship in a way that I don't (hence my earlier comment about however you see mediumship) Mediumship to this simple soul is evidential mediumship but I'm happy to acknowledge that others use that single word to mean different things - that's an issue which is a constant stumbling block in discussion. Hence my long-running 'campaign' to get clear definitions of mediumship vs psychic counselling et al.
Ohh.. by all means please "define" mediumship for you than.. because this stuff above I really don't understand..

My basic definition of meduimship.. someone who communicates to spirits as a channel.. and it also has a history of being part of the spirit movement of the 1920's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
...same again as above

For this simple-minded soul, mediumship is WAY simpler than any of the stuff you've mentioned in your last few paragraphs. For me it's bringing reassurance that death is not the end of us, that we can meet again those we loved who have passed over, that one life is not the end of things, that we live on.... That's the basis of evidential mediumship,
Okay.. I get this definition..

I must say though that "I don't get it" why?

Cause I think life is about living.. I can't understand why fellow creator gods like you.. would want to focus so much thought and attention to the afterlife.. when we came to earth to experience.. to swing on the swing set.. I'm sure it is no irony that some people spend all their days thinking about the afterlife..?? when we were in non-physical.. all we did was think about being here and "doing this" and swinging on that swing set..??

To put it bluntly.. I think life is about living.. focusing on the "afterlife" well in my humble opinion is waste of perfectly good time for swinging on a swing..

But I digress.. to each their own.. if you have fun at all that thinking.. then have at it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
the particular form of mediumship I know and can speak about. Everything else (for me) means something different and until everyone sorts out and agrees what each word or term means, there will continue to be this failure to follow what's being said by any particular contribution to a discussion.
Yes, I think your idea is a waste of time.. you see every human has the right to have there own "definition" of what that words means.. and trying to force them to "converge" on the meaning you want will never happen.. better to explain your own.. then force this is mediumship and nothing else is!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
The way that you (and often others) talk about mediumship would lead me to think it's counselling or psychic counselling.
I have given you my definition and thoughts about it.. I leave you reflect what you will about that..

However, my understanding of people and indeed some of the people I have talked to on this forum is.. that many seek a medium as a form of "Therapy" to let go of their problem.. I'm sure there are other uses but my guess is that is a primary one..
Old 22-01-2011, 06:19 PM
mac

At the risk of going off-topic - and I apologise if I am doing so - the field into which we now are straying is one in which I've been personally pursuing answers for quite some time.

No matter what we may personally see a medium as being, there are others who will see it differently. We can write reams about this and probably have done! The very thing that's undesirable, though, is the personal view.

If we don't stop terming as mediumship the use or possession of psychic awareness, if we don't stop terming as mediumship psychic counselling, 'reading' (of whatever sort) 'channelling' (of or from whoever), then we compound the problem of misunderstanding who's doing what. And I've heard all the guff about not wanting to be labelled - it just won't wash.

On a personal level you may prefer not to be labelled but as sure as eggs is eggs, others are gonna do it anyway so why not try to agree something definitive, something which reflects your personal involvement?
Old 22-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Katiecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
As you've described your own situation Katiecat, that you're considering how your personal development might go, may I ask you to explain what mediumship is, or would be, for you personally?

From what I understand, it's a communication exchange between a person on this plane and someone who has passed on to the spiritual plane...
Old 22-01-2011, 06:42 PM
mac

I can deal.. it makes the text formating more difficult though.. Then I'll continue in the same way - I'm sure you'll cope just fine....I believe were all equal.. I don't think I've said otherwise? And what evidence is sufficient? Equal? What does that mean? Numbers can be equal but I can't see how one human being can be equal to another - I see each as unique as hence not equal to any others, always variation...

What proof do you require? I didn't ask for proof, only evidence for your claim.

Scientific study's? If you've got 'em...

That this channel and this channel said it.. what is the proof that will make you believe? You tell me.. it's you saying it's "not true" What would you like me to explain? I'd like you to show where your evidence came from - then I could assess its worth.

There is just a "smell" in the air.. a shift in peoples spaces.. if you’re not observing the world you might miss it.. I just have a knowing of changes.. if you don't, no matter.. I'm just saying if you look.. you will notice..I do actually know what you mean but I'd hoped you'd be able to explain it. I can't explain it well but I'm not in your position.

Understand that "law of attraction" is a personal experience and pretty much can only be experimented and proved on a individual basis in my experience.. I have watched thoughts I was thinking attract in mere minutes to a half a hour.. the speed up between thought and attraction is there for me..Sorry I can't follow your point....

Does that work? Is that sufficient? Ohh.. by all means please "define" mediumship for you than.. because this stuff above I really don't understand..And isn't that what I've been banging on about? We're speaking different languages yet using the same words....

My basic definition of meduimship.. someone who communicates to spirits as a channel.. and it also has a history of being part of the spirit movement of the 1920's? Okay.. I get this definition..Sorry I'm none the clearer from these words - I must be thick - could you expand a little?

I must say though that "I don't get it" why?

Cause I think life is about living.. I can't understand why fellow creator gods like you.. would want to focus so much thought and attention to the afterlife.. when we came to earth to
experience.. to swing on the swing set.. I'm sure it is no irony that some people spend all their days thinking about the afterlife..?? when we were in non-physical.. all we did was think about being here and "doing this" and swinging on that swing set..?? You've lost me again....I'm a simple soul and can't follow phrases like "to swing on the swing set.. "

To put it bluntly.. I think life is about living.. focusing on the "afterlife" well in my humble opinion is waste of perfectly good time for swinging on a swing.. You are, of course, fully entitled to the opinion you hold but some like to think in different ways and also feel they're living life too - I'm drinking a Bud, sitting in the sun, just back from a training run in the sunshine - it's great for me and yet I can still focus on what you call the afterlife....

But I digress.. to each their own.. if you have fun at all that thinking.. then have at it!
Yes, I think your idea is a waste of time..
It appears it's a waste of your time but why do you feel it's an empirical value - something that applies to everyone just 'cos it's right for you?you see every human has the right to have there own "definition" of what that words means.. and trying to force them to "converge" on the meaning you want will never happen.. better to explain your own.. then force this is mediumship and nothing else is!I have given you my definition and thoughts about it.. I leave you reflect what you will about that..I force no-one to do anything. I encourage the thinkers to consider points about which I welcome considered opinion. You have every right to use whatever words you wish for whatever purposes you wish but communication is far easier when most use similar meanings for the words they use to communicate.

However, my understanding of people and indeed some of the people I have talked to on this forum is.. that many seek a medium as a form of "Therapy" to let go of their problem.. I'm sure there are other uses but my guess is that is a primary one..And now my friend we move full circle to the very early point I made about what mediumship means. What you're describing in the paragraph bove sounds very much (to me) like counselling or psychic counselling - am I repeating myself!?
Old 22-01-2011, 06:47 PM
themaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
At the risk of going off-topic - and I apologise if I am doing so - the field into which we now are straying is one in which I've been personally pursuing answers for quite some time.

No matter what we may personally see a medium as being, there are others who will see it differently. We can write reams about this and probably have done! The very thing that's undesirable, though, is the personal view.

If we don't stop terming as mediumship the use or possession of psychic awareness, if we don't stop terming as mediumship psychic counselling, 'reading' (of whatever sort) 'channelling' (of or from whoever), then we compound the problem of misunderstanding who's doing what. And I've heard all the guff about not wanting to be labelled - it just won't wash.

On a personal level you may prefer not to be labelled but as sure as eggs is eggs, others are gonna do it anyway so why not try to agree something definitive, something which reflects your personal involvement?
Why are you such a "label" phoby?

I mean what your saying is like 2nd grade.. and don't miss-spell "Abigail" or your bad!

I think your taking definitions of words and labels a little too seriously

And in that seriousness.. I detect lack a vibration that does not feel good.. you will never find any happiness in the world if you go around and say "this is mediumship" my way or the f#$%#$% highway!

All of us have the ability to be mediums and channels.. and it doesn't matter the label we all have built in internal networking if we can learn to use/allow it and trust it! Especially..

I'm also going to remind that where we come from.. we don't use language!

We use direct telepathic communication to direct telepathic communication.. there is no chance of miss-communication or wrong concepts (most often) the world of spirit is what the medium interrupts ENGLISH (or your language into) and because are language is LIMITED it actually leads to miss-interpretations and sometimes not being able to interpret SPIRIT into language... this is my understanding..

In the spirit world you don't type your words on a computer using your brain and the language called ENGLISH it is a direct transmission of pure vibration.. here we have to WRITE things and interpret things (EGO) that leaves a whole of gaps in translation..

It's like wondering if the bible written 2000 years ago is the same book then as now.. it obviously is not!
Old 22-01-2011, 07:05 PM
deepsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
No, we're not.

I do love the way you are straight to the point,Mac.
Just the way I like it.

J. x
Old 22-01-2011, 07:11 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster
Why are you such a "label" phoby?

I mean what your saying is like 2nd grade.. and don't miss-spell "Abigail" or your bad!

I think your taking definitions of words and labels a little too seriously

And in that seriousness.. I detect lack a vibration that does not feel good.. you will never find any happiness in the world if you go around and say "this is mediumship" my way or the f#$%#$% highway!

All of us have the ability to be mediums and channels.. and it doesn't matter the label we all have built in internal networking if we can learn to use/allow it and trust it! Especially..

I'm also going to remind that where we come from.. we don't use language!

We use direct telepathic communication to direct telepathic communication.. there is no chance of miss-communication or wrong concepts (most often) the world of spirit is what the medium interrupts ENGLISH (or your language into) and because are language is LIMITED it actually leads to miss-interpretations and sometimes not being able to interpret SPIRIT into language... this is my understanding..

In the spirit world you don't type your words on a computer using your brain and the language called ENGLISH it is a direct transmission of pure vibration.. here we have to WRITE things and interpret things (EGO) that leaves a whole of gaps in translation..

It's like wondering if the bible written 2000 years ago is the same book then as now.. it obviously is not!

I think we see things very differently. Like so many other members, you appear to feel I should conform to what you judge to be the right way to be, or to feel, in life. On that we'll have to differ because although I'm confident about what's right for me, it would never occur to me to think I know what's right for you....

Whatever is the mechanism for communication in the world of spirit, the world we live in is one of speech and text. The more effectively one communicates with that, the better the chance of being understood by others doing the same.

I'll leave it at that as I don't think we can continue our interchange beneficially.