Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 08-02-2016, 07:12 PM
Master
What's with all the Confusion?

I have been checking this section out to learn more information about the Jewish portion of my heritage. My mom is Jewish and I do know a lot about my heritage but I am always interested in learning more.

I was extremely disappointed to find though that a lot of the postings on here get inundated with replies that honestly look like they belong in the Christianity section.

Why cant we respect other peoples beliefs instead of challenging them?

Why cant we just try and learn something from someone who may have more knowledge on a subject that we do, instead of trying to convert them?

I wish that every discussion didn't have to be a Jewish person defending their faith to a Christian.

Just to clarify:

Jews do not believe in Hell
Jews do not believe that Jesus was the Son of God
Jews do not incorporate the New Testament into their teachings.

Am I wrong?

I feel like the discussions would be a lot more interesting if it didn't feel like an argument about whose religion is "better"

Peace and Love to you all and I hope we have many enlightening and engaging discussions in the future

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 12-03-2016, 03:13 AM
Guide

I am not Jewish, but I see your question has not been answered in a while here. Yeah I wish there were more discussions in the other religion forums about those religions; look at the 'views' tabs on the subforums it tells the story.

You are right on two of your points for most Jews (apart from the Jews for Jesus folks). Except the bit about Hell I think. I think the notion of Hell got incorporated with the rabis around the time the Jews encountered the Greeks and on with the Romans. But near as I can tell it was NOT a main concept awareness during the time of the Old Testament writings. The Law of Moses speaks nothing of 'damnation' in the afterlife for example; God never told Adam and Eve they had lost their paradise in Heaven in the afterlife... never actualy called it a 'fall' either, really, Just now they would have to see the world in terms of the lense of good vs bad things with lots of striving and hardship but also desire for the good. Overall the focus has been more on preserving their culture and sustaining the integrity of their people on the Earth. So far they have succeeded quite well.
Old 30-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Knower

I'm also Jewish and I feel frustrated with some of the misinterpretations that get thrown around by Gentiles sometimes. Judaism is not Christless Christianity. "Judeo-Christian" is a uniquely American fallacy. Our moral, legal, and spiritual heritage are very different from yours. We have more in common with Islam than anything else.

You're not entirely correct, though, about Jews not believing in Hell. Some interpretations of Judaism (such as more Orthodox ones) absolutely include a Hell, but it's not the same as the Christian one, since it has more elements of reincarnation. Basically, after a person dies, their soul is judged for the acts they have committed during their life. If they have accomplished their soul mission and have not sinned, they are accepted into the World to Come; but if they have committed many sins, they are sent to Hell to be cleansed and eventually reincarnated or brought to the World to Come. However, this cleansing period is not supposed to last longer than 12 months, except for the most severe sins (such as murder). Judaism has nothing like the Christian ideas of salvation and eternal damnation. People of all faiths have the potential to go to heaven or hell, depending on their actions.

Also, we don't really believe in Satan as a major force in the world. He is just one of G-d's angels. Nobody believes in dybbuks nowadays, except for a few extremists, and the modern cases have been exposed as frauds.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:18 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanth
You're not entirely correct, though, about Jews not believing in Hell. Some interpretations of Judaism (such as more Orthodox ones) absolutely include a Hell, but it's not the same as the Christian one, since it has more elements of reincarnation. Basically, after a person dies, their soul is judged for the acts they have committed during their life. If they have accomplished their soul mission and have not sinned, they are accepted into the World to Come; but if they have committed many sins, they are sent to Hell to be cleansed and eventually reincarnated or brought to the World to Come. However, this cleansing period is not supposed to last longer than 12 months, except for the most severe sins (such as murder). Judaism has nothing like the Christian ideas of salvation and eternal damnation. People of all faiths have the potential to go to heaven or hell, depending on their actions.

What you say about the reincarnation notion is intriguing. Do you have info on the background origins of this belief? I my spiritual questings the answers hinted maybe at something like you describe, and I was resistant to those answers because I thought it contrary to the biblical God notions, so I am interested in perspective you have that shows it compatible.

On the OPs concerns, I think would be helpful if more folks like you visited here and imparted knowledge and perspective so people could read and understand it and know where you come from.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Master
Quote:
I'm also Jewish and I feel frustrated with some of the misinterpretations that get thrown around by Gentiles sometimes. Judaism is not Christless Christianity. "Judeo-Christian" is a uniquely American fallacy. Our moral, legal, and spiritual heritage are very different from yours. We have more in common with Islam than anything else.

Also, we don't really believe in Satan as a major force in the world. He is just one of G-d's angels. Nobody believes in dybbuks nowadays, except for a few extremists, and the modern cases have been exposed as frauds.

I very much like this idea - the part that's bold. Where can I find more information?

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 01-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Glow
I very much like this idea - the part that's bold. Where can I find more information?

I think this page is the best basic overview of what Jews think about the afterlife.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Master
Quote:
I think this page is the best basic overview of what Jews think about the afterlife.

thanks for the link - that was really helpful

-Lord Rama to Laxman
Old 15-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Glow
thanks for the link - that was really helpful

I'll second that motion.
Old 15-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Experiencer
Quote:

You would be better served if you understand that there is no one perspective that can properly be called THE Jewish view of what happens, if anything, after we die. Judaism has always been more concerned with how we live here in olam ha-zeh, than in what would be called olam ha-bah. As such Judaism has never developed a systemic theology as to an afterlife.

Perhaps Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel put in best when he noted that while Jews believe that death is not the end it is not a focal point in our lives because, "We Jews take our worlds one world at a time."

L'shalom,

Peter
Old 16-04-2016, 02:44 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbiO
You would be better served if you understand that there is no one perspective that can properly be called THE Jewish view of what happens, if anything, after we die. Judaism has always been more concerned with how we live here in olam ha-zeh, than in what would be called olam ha-bah. As such Judaism has never developed a systemic theology as to an afterlife.

Perhaps Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel put in best when he noted that while Jews believe that death is not the end it is not a focal point in our lives because, "We Jews take our worlds one world at a time."

L'shalom,

Peter

I am Jewish and I do understand that.