Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 12-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Kapitan_Prien

Indoor Clean Air Plants

I had found this on a site and added to the list, since there were some that weren't listed.

(This is copied from a WordPad file so it has my little * notes in it.)

Plant Air Purifiers

* marked are ones I have

For example, English ivy, gerbera daisies, pot mums, peace lily, bamboo palm, and Mother-in-law's Tongue were found to be the best plants for treating air contaminated with Benzene.

The peace lily, gerbera daisy, and bamboo palm were very effective in treating Trichloroethylene.

Additionally, NASA found that the bamboo palm, Mother-in-law's tongue, dracaena warneckei, peace lily, dracaena marginata, golden pathos, and green spider plant worked well for filtering Formaldehyde.

After conducting the study, NASA and ALCA came up with a list of the most effective plants for treating indoor air pollution.

The recommended plants can be found below. Note that all the plants in the list are easily available from your local nursery.

*1. Philodendron scandens `oxycardium', heartleaf philodendron
2. Philodendron domesticum, elephant ear philodendron
3. Dracaena fragrans `Massangeana', cornstalk dracaena
*4. English ivy
*5. Spider plant
6. Dracaena deremensis `Janet Craig', Janet Craig dracaena
*7. Dracaena deremensis `Warneckii', Warneck dracaena
8. Weeping fig
*9. Golden pothos
10. `Mauna Loa', peace lily
11. Philodendron selloum, selloum philodendron
12. Chinese evergreen
13. Bamboo or Reed Palm
14. Snake plant
15. Dracaena marginata , red-edged dracaena
*16. Gerbera Daisy
*17. Pot Mum - Chrysanthemum
*18. Peperomia
19. Aloe
20. Finger-leaf Philodendron

For an average home of under 2,000 square feet, the study recommends using at least fifteen samples of a good variety of these common houseplants to help improve air quality. They also recommend that the plants be grown in six inch containers or larger.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Gracey

awsome information Kaptien, My mum is a huge plant lover, i am gonna pass this along to her. the only plant i have is the mother in laws tongue. it is about 2 1/2 feet high now.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Kapitan_Prien

Sure thing - feel free to share it. Usually when going plant shopping, I like to go to Wal-Mart or now at Lowe's their plants are discounted. I saw pretty nice sized plants for a decent price - so one can buy quite a few for a decent price...as I'm looking to add more to my collection.