Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 04-02-2018, 08:29 AM
Master
Memories.

What can we trust if we can't trust our memories ?
Old 04-02-2018, 03:40 PM
Eelco

That's a tricky one.
I'm weary of my memories and often wonder if I remember them correctly.

Science seems to lean towards the notion that all we remember is the last time we remembered. If you ever played the telephone game where you whisper a sentence in someone's ear. and it return all different back to you when it has gone around the circle..

With Love
Eelco
Old 04-02-2018, 05:34 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
That's a tricky one.
I'm weary of my memories and often wonder if I remember them correctly.

Science seems to lean towards the notion that all we remember is the last time we remembered. If you ever played the telephone game where you whisper a sentence in someone's ear. and it return all different back to you when it has gone around the circle..

With Love
Eelco

Yes it is tricky, I'll have to rely on my memory to work this out

Seeing how our memories are selective and biased and constantly changing then I surpose that not living in the past etc: is the only thing that makes sense to me, just living in the moment takes away the need for past memories, but then I need to remember certain things on a daily basis otherwise my life would be ' one big unorganized mess '
It certainly is tricky and something that I need to delve into more deeply.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:17 PM
Eelco

I try. don't always succeed) to see memories as thoughts arising Now.

That at least takes away some of the story from the past.
Sati often translated as mindfulness means more literally "To keep in mind"
Which sometimes is translated as to remember.

When meditating for instance it's beneficial to keep your meditation object in mind.

WIth Love
Eelco
Old 04-02-2018, 06:51 PM
Master
dnt no
i no wen i go 2 sea mom shes had ovr 40 yrs ripedd way she has frm her memmmry
shes fogt so mush
iv tk fotto alnbses to shw her but hse fogetss agan 5 minss latrs she duz

i dream dreams all dreams
🌟🌟🌙🌙☔☔🌆🌆🌁😈😎😒💋💑💑💑💌🍨🍩🍔🌟🌟🌟✴🍩🍔
Old 04-02-2018, 07:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream jo
dnt no
i no wen i go 2 sea mom shes had ovr 40 yrs ripedd way she has frm her memmmry
shes fogt so mush
iv tk fotto alnbses to shw her but hse fogetss agan 5 minss latrs she duz

Yes Jo memories are a useful tool when they work properly but unfortunately you cannot trust them
Old 04-02-2018, 09:15 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
What can we trust if we can't trust our memories ?

Hi sky123

Do you mean memories as in using your memory to remember things, or as in the perceptions of those memories?

For the former: yes, it's important - brain power is one of the tools we have in our box just like the body, or a really nice wooden guitar

More seriously, I believe it is useful.

If you mean the perception/recollection of memories, then I believe it is our interpretation/filter of said events - just like our current perceptions/thoughts.

These are my opinions FWIW.

By the way have you noticed how, if you think about the past, it only comes as a thought? Whereas if you sense (am aware) of the now, it's just resting in the present. The past and future do not exist and each moment is effectively just now.

BT
Old 04-02-2018, 09:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Yes Jo memories are a useful tool when they work properly but unfortunately you cannot trust them

i np its hrd wen persn u luv so mush got dem/alz u try tell thm thngs wot u dun thy foget 5 secs latr
lk mom
hi say 2 mom wot hav u had for dinnr cnt rmer did u do it
no
staff in hear did
aski for deed peeepl not bean 2 sea her
i us foto albb 2 try 2 sea wot she can rembr

i dream dreams all dreams
🌟🌟🌙🌙☔☔🌆🌆🌁😈😎😒💋💑💑💑💌🍨🍩🍔🌟🌟🌟✴🍩🍔
Old 05-02-2018, 06:21 AM
Master
[quote=dream jo]i np its hrd wen persn u luv so mush got dem/alz u try tell thm thngs wot u dun thy foget 5 secs latr
lk mom
hi say 2 mom wot hav u had for dinnr cnt rmer did u do it
no
staff in hear did
aski for deed peeepl not bean 2 sea her
i us foto albb 2 try 2 sea wot she can rembr[/QUOTE

I know Jo, it is a very painful thing to watch your loved ones when they are ill. I nursed Alzheimer's sufferers for many years and my Mum had it for the last 10 years of her life, a very long time.

One thing you can try with your Mum is to have a ' sing song ' with her or put some music on that she enjoyed in her youth, mybe some songs she would have enjoyed while courting your Dad Alzheimer's sufferers for some reason do respond and can remember words to their favourite songs, give it a try Jo.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:27 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomingtree
Hi sky123

Do you mean memories as in using your memory to remember things, or as in the perceptions of those memories?

For the former: yes, it's important - brain power is one of the tools we have in our box just like the body, or a really nice wooden guitar

More seriously, I believe it is useful.

If you mean the perception/recollection of memories, then I believe it is our interpretation/filter of said events - just like our current perceptions/thoughts.

These are my opinions FWIW.

By the way have you noticed how, if you think about the past, it only comes as a thought? Whereas if you sense (am aware) of the now, it's just resting in the present. The past and future do not exist and each moment is effectively just now.

BT

Perceptions of our memories BT, they are so inaccurate . Did the things happen or are they just thoughts that they happened, it's so tricky to sort the accurate from the make believe, I find it a really interesting subject.