Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 15-04-2012, 04:00 PM
RiversLady

Thumbs up Being Selected

If you look at the threads on this board you see so many different ideas and opinions.
Quite frankly, many of them are "out there". Spirit guides, protector spirits, angels, animal
totems, incubus, ad in. Everybody wants one - hel, who wouldn't want a "fairy godmother"
to help them in times of need? Desperation for a friend from the other side, a connection with the
bigger picture, lonlyness,sorrow, and mental illness, depression and fear all can make a person imagine
they have something filling this need. There is nothing wrong with this. Filling a spiritual need
is normal for all, and probably a healthy reaction to things you can't face on your own.

This thread isn't about that. The subject here is about what happens to you when you get
choosen by a god/goddess. For ease of reading God (big G) is what I call the holy spirit or
tao or chi or just plain life force and energy that all things living or not have that keeps
everything connected to everything else. Ever read a poem with the line about
"when a flower is plucked in the heavens a star feels it". I'm paraphrasing but you get the idea.
This isn't for everyone. There is no question when you are tapped. No doubts and nothing you can
do about it. This isn't about you wanting to connect to a higher power. No. This is about
a higher power wanting YOU.

It happens quite suddenly for most people. You may have felt a kinship with something or
not. You may have never heard of the god/ess that choses you. But something about you
has attracted the attention of someone. When they chose to reveal themselves to you
it can be quite a shock. I've heard it described at getting hit over the head with a 2x4.
Some experience reverence and delight, others are confussed and afraid. Many are filled with
awe at what they are experiencing. Words fail me here, but if it happened to you, you know.

This may be what is causing so much termoil soul wise about spirits interacting with people.
Some spirits who were once considered gods are now relegated to the ash can of elementals
and nature spirits. (They started out as nature spirits until man raised them
up and gave them god status. See the cycle of fickle humans?) Their names have been changed,
but their power is still very real. Some are lonely and miss having intemacy with a person.
They may want you to seek out who they are. They may be playing a type of hide and
seek with you. "I am here. Come find me." If you are not familiar with the many types of
paganism, this can be a big problem. Someone who has been raised from childhood in a typical
monotheistic family can believe they are being attacked by the devil. The family itself
may think the person is possessed, and in fact they would be correct. But it doesn't have to be a bad
thing. If you can put away your disbelief and fear for a while, you can make it to the "gellin' period"
where things even out. You go back to normal life. However, your normal life now has someone
new to worship.

On mostly pagan forums I have seen people talk about their experiences. There is no pro-
hibition about saying who your god or goddess is. People are proud to have been chosen by
them, and often want to tell others about how the "choosing" came to pass. Some stories
are quite humerous. Some are about a humans unwillingness to belong to the chooser. All are
very personal and deep, holding much meaning and emotion for the person.

I invite anyone here who has had this happen to post their experience. There is no right or wrong
story. No "my god can beat up your god". Here all stories are equal just as all people are. My only
rule is that only people who have had this happen should post. As I said earlier, you know when and
if it happens to you. And yes, I will post my story. Just need to let my fingers have a break from typing!
Old 15-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Wisa'ka

People will be proud of what they have accomplished in life and I'm sure some will say their spirituality helped them achieve those accomplishments. Such help is bestowed regardless if it is requested or not.

Humans think they can give their own physical form and mindset to the old spirits and change them to befit culture, material wants and the fashion of the day. Look at the art of old western Europe and see how humans gave Jesus blondish hued locks and blue eyes to make him more like the Germanic people who swept over Rome and eventually accepted Christianity, thus turning a peaceful Jewish man into a fair haired Teutonic deity who expected others to fight in his name.
Old 15-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Quintessence

Yeah.

So here's a tricky question. What do you do when you don't want the deity that chooses you?

Let me tell you, it's awkward. It's also why I don't speak about it.
Old 15-04-2012, 06:38 PM
RiversLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence
Yeah.

So here's a tricky question. What do you do when you don't want the deity that chooses you?

Let me tell you, it's awkward. It's also why I don't speak about it.

I have heard that it can get pretty ugly. IMHO it would be like getting the call to become a shaman and saying no. When you try to get help from modern medicine, you get a mental illness diagnosis and lots of meds. Personally, I would try to cut a deal with the powers that be.
Old 16-04-2012, 01:41 AM
RiversLady

Well, I guess there aren't as many real pagans here as I thought.
Old 16-04-2012, 04:00 AM
Quintessence

It hasn't been that long, RiversLady. Not even a full twenty-four hours. Not everyone logs on to a particular web forum every day. But yes, there aren't all that many Pagans on these forums. It's more of a New Ager forum from what I've observed. As for "real" Pagans, I don't like to be quite that judgmental. I wouldn't say having this kind of experience is a requisite for calling oneself a Pagan.

What did you mean by cutting a deal?
Old 16-04-2012, 07:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversLady

Let's hear your definition of a "real" pagan given that "pagan" covers a whole raft of beliefs, life styles, practices etc. It's not a word with a specific meaning, being rather generic in origin. Culture and heritage also comes into the equation.

Have I been "selected" ? - more like co-opted

Last edited by norseman : 16-04-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 16-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Wisa'ka

Quote:

A bonafied and godless heathen with a chewy savage noughat.

More pagan than pagan
Old 29-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Quagmire

Quote:
And yes, I will post my story. Just need to let my fingers have a break from typing

Why not let us hear your story, that might inspire others to share theirs.
Old 30-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Enya

Don't know if this counts... but way back when I was being a pagan, I met Herne and a Goddess in a journey. Herne sat with his back against a tree and handed me an atheme, handle toward me. I walked round the circle and a goddess sat on the opposite side. She held a gourd in one hand, but I have no idea who she was.

One Imbolc, I saw and sensed the Goddess Bride in the persona of one of our group. There was no mistaking it... She was present. Since then, I've always had a fondness for her.