Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 28-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Master
There are a couple of oak trees and several chestnut trees and an ornamental pine growing nearby which I planted very casually by throwing the acorns, conkers and pine nuts into the undergrowth.

They are young adult trees now. It was about 10+ years ago.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 29-05-2017, 01:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
There are a couple of oak trees and several chestnut trees and an ornamental pine growing nearby which I planted very casually by throwing the acorns, conkers and pine nuts into the undergrowth.

They are young adult trees now. It was about 10+ years ago.
That's great honza! Thats always fun. Next year i have a huge job, have to find places for my ginkgo trees. My wife thinks i should just sell them. I don't think i could there special to me. They go to special people or places in the wild. This year i am growing a bunch of dawn redwood trees. Those i can sell..... i hope
Old 03-06-2017, 07:15 AM
Master
Question

Oh this thread on trees. I love them and help plant saplings when I can. My first tree is a blue spruce I got in grade 1 and it's fully mature growing on mom's front yard with other trees. She has so many, it's hard to see her house from the street. She also has more in her back yard.

As for me, I live in the country and our acreage is a mix of trees and open areas where the horses roam. We planted trees by the pens, by the house and in the shelter belts (wind breaks) on the west side of the ditch and on the north side of the garden. We also planted various shrubs. The garden now has fruit trees. When we moved in, we saw open areas to plant trees and shrubs. So far, there's still some open areas by the pens which need trees.

Since we needed so many, people gave us seedling trees that were either started by seeds or cuttings. When we want a specific tree, then we buy young ones as they're the easiest to handle and transplant.

The free ones are blue spruce, white spruce, oak, birch, Dutch elm, Chinese elm, lilac, pussy willow, maple, cotoneaster shrubs, an alder, a forsythia, potentila shrubs, aspen, cedar, juniper, caragana, a spirea, and pine. I hope I got them all.

The ones we bought are a purple leaf birch named Purple Rain, a golden willow, a Russian willow, more lilacs, a Japanese tree lilac, a Diablo Nine Bark shrub, various fruit trees, elders, special poplars, a honeysuckle bush, a mugo pine, a Chinese flowering plum, and red pine.

We started planting the trees and shrubs the following spring after we moved in and still planting them.

What came with the house, a flowering crab apple tree, a huge lilac bush, mature spruces, willows and poplar.

That pretty much sums up how much I like trees and shrubs even to the point of stringing lights on some of them.

"But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee:

Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee."
Job 12: 7 and 8 (KJV)
Old 10-07-2017, 03:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
Oh this thread on trees. I love them and help plant saplings when I can. My first tree is a blue spruce I got in grade 1 and it's fully mature growing on mom's front yard with other trees. She has so many, it's hard to see her house from the street. She also has more in her back yard.

As for me, I live in the country and our acreage is a mix of trees and open areas where the horses roam. We planted trees by the pens, by the house and in the shelter belts (wind breaks) on the west side of the ditch and on the north side of the garden. We also planted various shrubs. The garden now has fruit trees. When we moved in, we saw open areas to plant trees and shrubs. So far, there's still some open areas by the pens which need trees.

Since we needed so many, people gave us seedling trees that were either started by seeds or cuttings. When we want a specific tree, then we buy young ones as they're the easiest to handle and transplant.

The free ones are blue spruce, white spruce, oak, birch, Dutch elm, Chinese elm, lilac, pussy willow, maple, cotoneaster shrubs, an alder, a forsythia, potentila shrubs, aspen, cedar, juniper, caragana, a spirea, and pine. I hope I got them all.

The ones we bought are a purple leaf birch named Purple Rain, a golden willow, a Russian willow, more lilacs, a Japanese tree lilac, a Diablo Nine Bark shrub, various fruit trees, elders, special poplars, a honeysuckle bush, a mugo pine, a Chinese flowering plum, and red pine.

We started planting the trees and shrubs the following spring after we moved in and still planting them.

What came with the house, a flowering crab apple tree, a huge lilac bush, mature spruces, willows and poplar.

That pretty much sums up how much I like trees and shrubs even to the point of stringing lights on some of them.
That's great! You're lucky you have the land to do it! Sounds like really nice trees! A lot of my trees i am growing i am just going to give to people.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:36 AM
Master
Hi hallow,

It's so nice to see the trees grow and better yet, give them away. They all can't fit into a yard and sooner or later, I'll run out of space for more trees.

Maybe you can find 'empty' spaces around town and plant one or two there? In the cities around me, there are areas where trees can be planted. If you call it a community project to beautify (not sure if it's a word or not) the area, then the city doesn't mind. The trees then belong to a city and they have to look after the trees.

To me, it's a win win situation wherever trees are.

"But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee:

Or speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee: and the fishes of the sea shall declare unto thee."
Old 10-07-2017, 07:15 AM
Master
I ve been scoping out random places, unfortunately most of the trees I've grown so far are ginkgo trees, they do have a undesirable trait in the eyes of most people around here. Males and female trees are separate tree's and there's no way to tell the sex of a seedling until it bears fruit 20 to 30 years. When the females fruit and when it drops from the tree it smells really bad. Most people don't want that. But half the fun is finding people who will take them or just to find special spots. There's enough out of the way places for them.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Master
I was thinking, and still am, of getting a gingko. If I could, I'd gladly give them a forever home.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:57 AM
Master
There really easy to grow from seed. If you get fresh seeds in late fall, put them in a plastic bag with damp paper towel in the fridge till early spring. Then take them out and put on top of the fridge an keep an eye on them when you see roots put em in pots. They need cold for a few months in order to germinate well, then they like the extra heat to germinate well.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Master
Thanks hallow,

for my next 'trick' I'll have to get seeds and I think they can be made into bonsais.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:15 AM
Master
A wonderful mail order company called strictly medical ".com" has the seeds. You can get plants from there but they won't ship live plants outside the u.s. but seeds they will. They have a large number of other medical type of plants and seeds for sale. You can bonsai a ginkgo tree but there kind of difficult. Pruning and shaping them is the hard part. When damaged the tree won't die or slow down but will send up new shoots."one of there many survival skills" So there hard to keep trained.