Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 20-02-2017, 10:25 PM
Knower
Is Daiya Non-GMO?

It isn't verified but, their website states non-GMO. Is this true?

Also, good enough to eat?
Old 25-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Experiencer

I just looked at a package of the Mozzarella Shreds and it says it is non-GMO so yes, it's okay to eat. I don't have any other Daiya products handy though to check out their labels.

I like it sprinkled on pizza, nachos and have used it to make mac and cheese and I find it to be a great product. I also love the small blocks of Smoked Gouda Style cheese when it's sliced for use on sandwiches and the round slices of cheddar style Daiya cheese is nice for grill cheese sandwiches although I've found that a single slice is better than two (unless your bread is a very large loaf). Two slices stacked is excessive in my opinion.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:12 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
I just looked at a package of the Mozzarella Shreds and it says it is non-GMO so yes, it's okay to eat. I don't have any other Daiya products handy though to check out their labels.

Yes, it says non-gmo but it isn't verified non-gmo. And even if it was you still have to look at what ingredients they put in it, because additives and synthetics are allowed in verified products.

I had to look some things up on this, and I did find they used processed synthetic additives in their products, such as xanthan gum (which is basically processed corn starch from bacteria).
Old 10-04-2017, 12:04 AM
Experiencer

Who 'verifies' it as non-GMO? And if xanthan gum is processed from corn starch, does that mean it will have been organic corn?
Old 10-04-2017, 02:47 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
Who 'verifies' it as non-GMO? And if xanthan gum is processed from corn starch, does that mean it will have been organic corn?

USDA, and it doesn't necessarily mean it is organic corn.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Experiencer

Your comment prompted me to do a bit of research.

They are a Vancouver company (I'm so proud), and they actually don't use corn starch, it's tapioca starch or arrowroot starch, neither of which are GMO products. And I get the impression from a quick perusal, that the pea protein used in vegan foods is not a GMO crop. The fact that Daiya mentions 'non-GMO' by the oil product types, would suggest that the inclusion of pea protein in the ingredients lineup means that it is also included under the non-GMO ingredientsl on the package.

I think it's safe to say that Daiya products are non-GMO