Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Paranormal & Supernatural > ESP & Telepathy

Old 27-07-2016, 09:01 AM
Newbie ;)

How to trust and connect with people as an empath/psychic?

Hi guys,

So without going into too much detail I am 26 years old and I've come to realize that I am an empath and also have experienced many other esp and supernatural phenomena frequently over the course of my life. Anyway, although I do consider my abilities a rare and wonderful gift in some ways I've also been struggling to come to terms with some of the other aspects of it.

As I get older my abilities appear to get stronger and with that I find it difficult at times to really connect with people. As a typical empath I need alot of time on my own to recharge as it can be very overwhelming being around people and being drained of my own energy all the time. Needless to say I have a very social side that likes to go out and spend time with friends and family so I'm not anti-social per se. I'm pretty confidant in that I can strike up a convo with almost anyone and can find common ground with most people.

The other issue of being very intuituve is that I've always had an innate ability to really read people for who they truly are and know things about people that I rightfully should not. It is not something I have conscious control over at this point but I find that there are times when I just know when people are lying, feeling sad, cheating, pregnant, going to die, find a new job etc. and it has turned out to be true.

But I feel like because I can read people so well it is hard to trust people because I know when people are not being genuine. Its like I just know a person's true reasoning behind certain behavior even when they are not even consciously aware of it them self. Secondly, people don't always like or are ready for the things that you tell them about things you see in their life. I've had to learn to keep my mouth closed in regards to other people's affairs even though I literally know the outcome of certain situations even when the said person insists on me telling them.

I guess I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there who have the same abilities and how you have gone about maintaining strong relationships with people and how do you protect yourself as an empath?
Old 11-10-2016, 06:01 PM
Seeker

Hello Lokee202,
I too am an empath. I also experience the things you mention.
What I am finding, as you probably are too, is that I cannot "save" people from the things I know are damaging in their lives. I also cannot call something out to be true, when they are firmly holding onto their own belief - even if they are being untruthful or choosing to live in denial about things.

So, what do I do? First, I identify who the people are that drain me. Then, I make sure I don't spend too much time with them in the same outing. For example, I only go out with them if it is for a few hours on any given day. I do NOT see anyone on consecutive days if they are in the "major energy drainers" category. Also, while with them I keep my thoughts to myself try not to give advice they don't ask for. (This in itself is draining.) If they ask for my input, I frame my thoughts in a question to them that they have to answer themselves. This throws the "focus" back onto them, and keeps them from draining me.

I also tell myself it is not my responsibility to fix anyone or rescue anyone or to take on their energy. I shield myself before spending time with them. I put an imaginary force-field between them and me.

I take alone time to replenish my energy. i turn off electronics at certain times (I don't need my phone giving me Notifications all the time) and go for walks outside.
Old 26-10-2016, 06:25 AM
Newbie ;)

Hey there, I do the same thing. When I feel my energy become sluggish, and I feel a little down or lazy, I know that my mood changed and the person I am interacting with has different intentions or negative personality traits and probably wouldn't be a good person to continue interacting with.

Trust your emotions, if someone uplifts you stick with them, even if they are a little annoying sometimes. No one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. I trust people but I'm not afraid to be let down.
Old 31-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Knower
I am also an empath and one of the main reasons I joined here is so that I can fully become the empath I desire, i.e. complete happiness and love for all no matter how much wrong they have done and any other negative energies I experience in myself or others I wish to block out. The entertainment forum I was on before this one did occasionally have clashses with its members and sometimes I got too defensive on there and during the end of my time there I realised a lot of members were not very understanding of different beliefs and viewpoints, specifically I was attacked for being against vaccines, being called thick etc. and I realised I needed a more positive omnibenevalent atmosphere. It seems very rare to find people who will love you or stay friends unconditionally no matter what your beliefs, religion, sexuality etc. are these days :(
Old 07-01-2017, 08:07 PM
Pathfinder
If you have a strongly defined sense of self, then you can always be situated in that. I can be in any situation, even the most dark, and still be firmly situated in my own light. I never absorb energy from anyone, although I can feel it acutely. What I do is when I find myself in a place with undesirable energy, I just focus on my light within myself and, using my breath, expand it to increase it's sphere. I find that either people feel the need to leave (they suddenly need the bathroom, or want to go eat something etc.) or the people jump on the energy and I'm able to pull them up.
I've even developed my ESP to the point where I can telepathically communicate to anyone. They are not aware of it, but it has a definitive effect. (with this comes great responsibility. not to be abused). I can communicate with some of my intuitive friends like this and they consciously respond back.
I can easily distinguish between my own emotions and thoughts and those of others.
Do you meditate? It will help a lot. Do you regularly practice critical self analysis? It will make you stronger and help you to see where you're at and where you need to work. Do you ever pray/call to your guide? They are there to assist, take advantage of them.
Do let me know how it goes. These gifts may seem like a burden at first, but once you've progressed a little further down the path and it is revealed a little bit more to you, you will feel so blessed and fortunate to be part of something so amazing.
Oh, and regarding trust. Everyone is conditioned. Trust is not black and white, so learn to trust people to the extent that they are trustworthy. When you develop a high level of integrity, that alone will inspire people to aspire for integrity. You can trust a thief if you lock away your gold. Use what you know and see and then use your intelligence also. Find the goodness in people, they all have some, even if it is just a spark, and cultivate that in them. There are people who you can completely trust. If you are completely trust worthy and have high integrity, then you can immediately spot them. My rule of thumb is to always improve myself first.
Be blessed

We are eternal spiritual beings made for love and possess an infinite capacity to love. Every moment is an opportunity to learn how to love.