Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 10-08-2017, 05:06 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmode
I just downloaded the book!!! So good!
Cool.

It's quite comprehensive and written by a very reputable holy sage. I found that book when I was 14. It was underneath the bed of my hotel room in Malaysia, after I first became interested in Lord Shiva and asked the universe how to pray to Him and the universe replied "look under your bed".

As for me...I've just been downloading episodes of a serial I used to watch in my early 20's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E62xx3mjEwI

If you enjoy this, you can keep watching further episodes of it. I haven't watched it in 30 years...time I did so again because it's immensely enjoyable!

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 11-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Seeker

Shiva nama am,
Tham nasi masi

Mate, please, translate to me this mantra...I've searched, but cannot find a proper translation...
Old 11-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Shiva nama am,
Tham nasi masi

Mate, please, translate to me this mantra...I've searched, but cannot find a proper translation...
Namaste

There is no actual English translation for this because the mantra is comprised of Bhija or 'seed words' that have no direct correlation.

The closest translation would be "let the name of Shiva balance the dark with the light".

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 11-08-2017, 02:00 PM
Seeker

Ok, I understand...

There are numerous sites and books describing method of meditations.Share, how to meditate on "om namah shivaya"...\

Proper pose of the body, controlled breathing with stomach, exhale and inhale like the mouth has the form of "O"... what else ?
Old 11-08-2017, 02:05 PM
Master
YES! He just told me!!! =)

The mantra; "Om Namah Shivaya", without the "Om" is called Panchakshara (five syllable) or just "Namah Shivaya"

It is five syllables "Na" "Ma" "Shi" (Si) "Va" and "Ya"

"Nasi Masi" refers to the first two syllables of this Mantra - " Na" Si (or Nakara Siva) and then "Ma" Si (or Makara Siva). These two names of Shiva ward off evil energy. It is usually followed by "Va" Si and then "Ya" Si to conclude the Panchakshara bheejas.

So, the translation would be "Shiva Nama am" - Shiva's Name is
"Tham Nasi Masi" - The name of all names"

Thank you!

Aum Namah Shivaya
Old 11-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Ok, I understand...

There are numerous sites and books describing method of meditations.Share, how to meditate on "om namah shivaya"...\

Proper pose of the body, controlled breathing with stomach, exhale and inhale like the mouth has the form of "O"... what else ?
See above for what Shiva Nama Am Tham Nasi Masi means - I just got a direct brain hit without any thought!

Yes, the best mantra ABOVE ALL is "Om Namah Shivaya"...best mantra par excellence! and no other mantra is needed. It is entirely self-inclusive.

When I chant "Om Namah Shivaya" I inhale and say "Om Namah..." and then when I exhale, I say "Shivaya".

It doesn't really matter though, as long as there is awareness on the mantra, on Shiva and on why you are chanting it.

Although sometimes I start off chanting "Om Namah Shivaya" and end up chanting "I love you, Shiva"...it just happens that way, but it's all the same.

Om Namah Shivaya
Old 11-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer
See above for what Shiva Nama Am Tham Nasi Masi means - I just got a direct brain hit without any thought!

Yes, the best mantra ABOVE ALL is "Om Namah Shivaya"...best mantra par excellence! and no other mantra is needed. It is entirely self-inclusive.

When I chant "Om Namah Shivaya" I inhale and say "Om Namah..." and then when I exhale, I say "Shivaya".

It doesn't really matter though, as long as there is awareness on the mantra, on Shiva and on why you are chanting it.

Although sometimes I start off chanting "Om Namah Shivaya" and end up chanting "I love you, Shiva"...it just happens that way, but it's all the same.

Om Namah Shivaya

It is so...heart opening to get in touch with the devine :))) Thank you !
---------
Check this out :

Fire is His head, the sun and moon His eyes, space His ears, the Vedas His speech, the wind His breath, the universe His heart. From His feet the Earth has originated. Verily, He is the inner Self of all beings.

Atharva Veda, Muṇḍaka Upanishad 2.1.4. eh, 159-160
---------
A site claims that this is about Shiva, but From what I know he is not mantioned in the Vedas... In which holy texts is he described..?
Old 11-08-2017, 04:46 PM
Master
Quote:
It is so...heart opening to get in touch with the devine :))) Thank you !
---------
Check this out :

Fire is His head, the sun and moon His eyes, space His ears, the Vedas His speech, the wind His breath, the universe His heart. From His feet the Earth has originated. Verily, He is the inner Self of all beings.

Atharva Veda, Muṇḍaka Upanishad 2.1.4. eh, 159-160
---------
A site claims that this is about Shiva, but From what I know he is not mantioned in the Vedas... In which holy texts is he described..?

Namaste and thank you too!

Very beautiful quote from the Muṇḍaka Upanishad.

The Upanishads basically refer to an impersonal consciousness called Brahman, give it nice personal attributes and then conclude by saying "you are that"....I wasn't a 'He' the last time I looked anyway. lol

I don't know how far my ego will ever let me accept all this though, because I am only just a very small, humble part of what 'that' is and not 'that' in totality and entirety. This will never change.

In the Vedas, Shiva is known by another name, Rudra. He is also called Mahakala.

Shiva originated in Mojendro Dharo and Harappa some 5,000 years ago as a folk deity called Pashupati - akin to the Greek God, Pan.

He is still known by that name today.

He was the God of nature, of wild beasts, music and the arts and of the bound and liberated state within the heart of man. Pashu= bound and Pati = liberated.

He became part of the Samkhya tradition after the whole Vedic era and popularised into form through all the Puranas and visions of various saints and sages.

Yeah, they didn't get it quite right either...pretty close, but way off the mark! I saw a picture a while ago by an artist and I was like "yep, that's a little bit closer to it, but still quite a bit off too".

https://storymirror.com/uploads/illu...com_726391.jpg

Om Namah Shivaya
Old 12-08-2017, 04:14 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer
Namaste and thank you too!

Very beautiful quote from the Muṇḍaka Upanishad.

The Upanishads basically refer to an impersonal consciousness called Brahman, give it nice personal attributes and then conclude by saying "you are that"....I wasn't a 'He' the last time I looked anyway. lol

I don't know how far my ego will ever let me accept all this though, because I am only just a very small, humble part of what 'that' is and not 'that' in totality and entirety. This will never change.

In the Vedas, Shiva is known by another name, Rudra. He is also called Mahakala.

Shiva originated in Mojendro Dharo and Harappa some 5,000 years ago as a folk deity called Pashupati - akin to the Greek God, Pan.

He is still known by that name today.

He was the God of nature, of wild beasts, music and the arts and of the bound and liberated state within the heart of man. Pashu= bound and Pati = liberated.

He became part of the Samkhya tradition after the whole Vedic era and popularised into form through all the Puranas and visions of various saints and sages.

Yeah, they didn't get it quite right either...pretty close, but way off the mark! I saw a picture a while ago by an artist and I was like "yep, that's a little bit closer to it, but still quite a bit off too".

Om Namah Shivaya

OM!
It is a good picture...But it is more a symbol than anything else, right ?:)

How about this one:

" Shiva is the original light of reality; He is the immortal life force-Prana; He is the primal sound OM; He is the primal being, pure consciousness-Atman or Purisha-our own inner self; Shiva is the highest truth; He is the spiritual power behind nature, the deeeper self-awareness beyond the known universe...."
Old 12-08-2017, 05:49 AM
Master
Quote:
OM!
It is a good picture...But it is more a symbol than anything else, right ?:)

How about this one:

" Shiva is the original light of reality; He is the immortal life force-Prana; He is the primal sound OM; He is the primal being, pure consciousness-Atman or Purisha-our own inner self; Shiva is the highest truth; He is the spiritual power behind nature, the deeeper self-awareness beyond the known universe...."
Namaste.

It is no more a symbol of Shiva than a picture taken of you is a symbol of you! ;)

We are going into the whole 'Divine Identity' part of this now. So, who are you?

You can be a lot of different things to many different people - 'friend', 'brother', 'workmate', a 'random dude on the street', but who are you really?

You can be like Adi Shankaracharya and say "oh that's an easy one, I am Shiva" but then again, Adi Shakaracharya kinda was.

You could say all of those things are Shiva and you'd be right. I could say that Shiva is the most beautiful, deeply spiritual, profoundly esoteric, sacred yet potent, mysterious, understanding, wise, patient, infinitely knowledgeable being/thing I have ever seen, felt or otherwise experienced and I would be right.

I mean, I couldn't even be half of the things Shiva is...not even a tiny fraction of the characteristics of what I know about Him...which isn't much...like the tip of an iceberg it is.

So when others say that "you are Shiva" or "Shiva is within you" I am like...'woah...hold your horses there, my friend...I wanna hear Him say that". lol

Aum Namah Shivaya