Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 04-06-2015, 04:11 PM
q.dogood

Talking animism & shamanism?

i've recently become very interested in both animism and shamanism and i've struggled to find good online resources for educating me more on both of them. is there any chance anyone on here would be able to give me some details about what they both entail? thank you! :)
Old 05-06-2015, 04:15 AM
Master

Animism is the belief that everything has a soul or spirit. If you read Wikipedia's explanation you'll get a good idea.

Shamanism is a very ancient practice, it involves astrally journeying into the Otherworlds to deal with spirits, soul retrieval and many other things. It takes years to learn - it definitely can't be learned in a weekend workshop or even a year long course.

However, if you wish to understand it better - please read "The Way of the Shaman" by Michael Harner and his second book on the subject - "Cave and Cosmos". He is an anthropologist and the founder of The Foundation for Shamanic Studies.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Knower
Jenny

Animism is a belief that things we normally might not think possess spirits do have spirits. This can some things to every thing. A mountain to a sword. Something solid like a tree or a wolf or cricket, to the wind.

Shamanism is is complicated but it is more of a direct belief that specific people have the ability or skills to see, contact, or deal with these spirits through multiple means.

My opinion only and highly paraphrased.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:28 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlyn Laufey
Jenny

Animism is a belief that things we normally might not think possess spirits do have spirits. This can some things to every thing. A mountain to a sword. Something solid like a tree or a wolf or cricket, to the wind.

Shamanism is is complicated but it is more of a direct belief that specific people have the ability or skills to see, contact, or deal with these spirits through multiple means.

My opinion only and highly paraphrased.
Hope this helps.

Not sure what you're saying here Caitlyn - quote "This can some things to every thing" - sorry but that doesn't make any sense to me. I believe animism to be as explained in the Wikipedia explanation

And I will stand by my explanation of Shamanism
Old 06-06-2015, 05:44 AM
Knower
Sorry about that Jenny Crow. That is essentially what I was attempting in my haste to paraphrase.

Thanks for the patience
Old 06-06-2015, 08:32 AM
Master
Animism can be explained by reading up on the work of Lovelock - The Gaia Hypothesis/Principles. The biomass of Earth consists of every part of the planet and every part [ animal, vegetation, mineral, and gaseous ] has life force.
Shamanism - walkers in the Spirit Realm [ Striding the Hedge ]

The Cunning Folk were/are both
Old 06-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Ascender

Could it be possible that the word shaman can have different meanings in different societies. My sister in law, now deceased, was referred to as a shaman /witch doctor. She was from a small fishing village in the Philippines. But from what my wife says she was basically a midwife /herbalist /first aider. The religion of the people is catholic but it's catholic with a fair bit of superstition & eastern philosophy thrown in as well as a belief that the sea is like their mother.
Sorry if that sounds confusing but it's the best description I can give, it's easier to understand if you see it. More confusing if you're married to one LOL.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:01 AM
Master

Perhaps it can. But your sister-in-law sounds much like a Shaman/Witchdoctor to me. But perhaps, and I'm inclined to think it quite possible, she was able (and perhaps actually did) cross the hedge into the Otherworld to gain help and information from the spirits.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:03 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlyn Laufey
Sorry about that Jenny Crow. That is essentially what I was attempting in my haste to paraphrase.
Thanks for the patience

lol Well, I hope I didn't sound rude.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:53 PM
Master
I recommend Practical Shamanism, A Guide to Walking in Both Worlds by Katie Weatherup. It's a great book that will explain shamanism and teach you how to incorporate it into every day life.