Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 05-03-2014, 07:30 PM
TailsNight

im trying to learn and practice Shamanism anf Druidism

So I've been a strong believer in the natural forces of our world and have been thinking about picking up Druidism and Shamanism but I really have no idea where to start or even a hint of where to begin.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Master

I'm in UK and likewise believe in the natural forces - I'm following a path towards shamanism. There are a few training courses if you google. It starts with a taster weekeend where you learn to journey - sensational stuff. Michael Harner has written a few good books and is well respected.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsNight
So I've been a strong believer in the natural forces of our world and have been thinking about picking up Druidism and Shamanism but I really have no idea where to start or even a hint of where to begin.

I would suggest that you first learn about Nature by experience of it, not from books. There is much in the Shamanic way that is emotional rather than just knowledge.
Just a point, Shamanism is a calling. If it is to be your path, you will be given a call - happened to me a long time ago.
Second point. Druidism was an oral tradition. Currently, it is a reconstruction.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsNight
Brendan C. Myers' Mysteries of Druidry is a decent introduction to modern neopagan druidry. He takes a definitely existential philosophical outlook, and emphasizes the ecological aspects of modern druidry, but that doesn't detract from the readability as a whole. Even so, it must be kept in mind that Myers', and anyone else's druid inspired religion is a 21st c. reinterpretation, and has little to do with Iron Age Celtic practices and worldview, more or less. So don't mistake an author's vision as a reflection of druid praxis as it was. ADF is an interesting druid organization that focuses on the shared qualities of Indo-European languages/cultures, to make a less "celtic" focused system; they have a pretty good introductory list of lore and books for one to read up on.

As for shamanism, if you're interested in the religion of tribal cultures, and not a western system built around clichés of "ancient wisdom", avoid the work of Michael Harner and Carlos Castaneda. If you have no problem with such, go ahead If you want a recommendation, Mircea Eliade's "Shamanism" is a classic work, but it's also birthed a lot of resilient misconceptions and generalizations. Although it's still a groundbreaking work.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Master
Came across an interesting note concerning shamanic practices in Britain. Currently, archeologists are excavating Star Carr.
http://www.starcarr.com
The village dates back to the mesolithic and antler head-dresses were found which are common with Siberian shaman. All this predates North American shaman. Worth noting that Star Carr predates the inundation of the North Sea plain at the end of last Ice Age, before Britain was separated from the European mainland.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:15 PM
TailsNight

alright thanks for the pointers. Ill start reading up and absorbing what i can.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:22 AM
Seeker

See Amazon for some good books by John Michael Greer on Druidry. He also has a blog. He also published a reading list somewhere on what to study.
See also site AODA.org/ american order druidry FAQ