Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 02-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Master
What is the difference between Paganism & Interfaith?

They seem pretty similar to me. Paganism has no fixed set of beliefs and neither does Interfaith. They both pretty much seem to accept one and all. Is there a real difference?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Quintessence

I have to ask why you're capitalizing "interfaith" as if it is a proper noun and a religion in of itself. What do you mean by "interfaith?" It's my understanding that all "interfaith" means is a dialogue or project between distinct religions. By that definition, it simply isn't possible for a single religious category to be interfaith, since it is... well... one religious category. Yes, within any broad religious category - whether we're talking Neopaganism or Christianity - you can have interfaith dialogues, but I wouldn't frame that in the way you seem to be.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Master
My understanding is that Interfaith actually IS a religion all by itself. If it is not now then it certainly could become one. It is not just the dialogue between two seperate religions. It is a vocation and religious teaching all of its own. Interfaith is an ideaology and a spiritual practice. It is a very new idea and spiritual practice, therefore it is not recognised much.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Quintessence

Hmm. Perhaps it is like Unitarian Universalism, then? I'm familiar with that group since I'm a lapsed member of a fellowship. Either way, I clearly don't know enough about Interfaith-as-religion to make a sound comparison. I have strong knowledge on the (Neo)Paganism end, but not on the other. Intuitively, it doesn't feel right to use the two as synonyms.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Sungirl

Paganism, although an umbrella term does have a number of specifics that most agree on.

The problem with the term pagan is it's like the term "christianity" in that it covers a number of different things.

The main headings are
Wiccan
Druid
Heathen
Hedgewitch
Solitary/eclectic

However, most pagans will believe the following:

A need for duality of gender in deity, so there will more than likely be a god and a goddess of similar standing.

A strong connection to and respect for the earth and the cycle of the seasons.

There is also weight given to the 4 elements along with Spirit and their connection to the cardinal points of the compass.

Many of them celebrate the 8 festivals throughout the year.

Heathens are the only pagans (that I know of) that will differ to that as a group. But I am not an expert on Heathenry so I can't be sure.

There is generally a leaning towards the "old ways".

Many pagans are also witches of some kind, however not all witches are pagan.

I got with Quintessence in that I see interfaith as the coming together of many different faiths in respect and harmony, but not having similar beliefs.

I consider myself a pagan lightworker and would totally reject the use of the term interfaith in a way of defining my path.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Quintessence

I would use a much different list for commonalities amongst Pagan religions. That list is very biased towards Wicca, which is definitely not representative of Paganism as a whole. It is somewhat better at representing NEOpaganism, but only because Wicca is probably the most influential movement within Neopaganism.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Sungirl

Quintessance.... in the end, how someone interprets paganism is very subjective.

First of all you have to take into consideration the difference between what the Brits understand the words "wicca" to be and what the US guys understand of it. I am a Brit so "wicca" is a part of paganism based around what Gerald Gardener wrote back in the 1950's.

I don't follow his view on paganism and would most closely resemble a solitary.

However, I find it hard to believe that any pagan doesn't connect to the earth and the seasons. Yes, I can see there being those that don't work with a god and goddess, such as the Dianic pagans, but surely you would say that nature is important to you?

No?

In the end I said "many pagans"... I know not to lump them all in together on anything.

If we (read "the pagan community") really can't agree on anything at all then we may as well scrap the label completely and just call ourselves something completely different to anyone else.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Master
Is there much infighting within the Pagan community?

Old 03-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Sungirl

in as much as people not agreeing on what it is?

I would say "fighting" is a little strong. However there are a lot of different opinions as to what paganism actually is.

The problem is there is no book of truths like the bible. Traditions have been handed down and also new traditions being created.

The handed down stuff can be very different because for so many years it had to be kept secret.

I tend to listen to the land and follow my own path rather than any set of handed down rules.

There can be a lot of scorn between groups.. some will look at others and say they are too fluffy, or too neo-pagan and not honouring the ancestors. You even get different kinds of druids. My friend is one kind and I was talking about Bobcat and she sat there and said that she didn't think she was a druid of any kind she had heard of.

This is why the term Pagan is so difficult to define... it covers sooooo much
Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Sungirl

in which case it is quite the opposite of interfaith