Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 18-06-2011, 03:21 AM
Master
What is in the words? I can also write some words but ultimate reality does not know any language. Believe me, it is my true belief.
Old 18-06-2011, 05:16 AM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker108
What is in the words? I can also write some words but ultimate reality does not know any language. Believe me, it is my true belief.

Hey Thinker108,

Thanks for your input.

I believe words are very important to our beliefs. They are an extension of our experiences, expressions of our personal understanding of what we are sharing.

They give us a means to communicate our beliefs through the symbols that the words represent. They help to create an image that brings substance to our beliefs, a frame work for us and others to relate to...the beauty that words can convey bring enhancement to our lives. Personal spiritual language or words help us understand our spiritual reality, at least this is how I view such things.

nightowl
Old 18-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Eudaimonist

Here are my definitions of the following Greek words:

Eudaimonia (εὐδαιμονία)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eudaimonia

Eudaimonia refers to the objective flourishing of an individual by means of reason, virtue, and friendship. Eudaimonists recognize this as the ultimate good.

Eudaimonia is often translated as "happiness", but this is somewhat misleading. Eudaimonia doesn't refer specifically to a feeling, experience, or mood, but rather to a pattern of activity across a lifetime.

One may expect someone who has such a life to experience happy feelings more often than others, although not necessarily all of the time. One can have a moderate amount of setbacks and sadness in life, and still be flourishing.

One reason that eudaimonia enters my spiritual vocabulary is that it can be associated with experiences such as Flow and self-actualization. While eudaimonia refers to a pattern of living, it still has an experiential aspect. There are signs of flourishing that one may notice and cultivate.

Ataraxia (Ἀταραξία)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ataraxia

Peace of mind, untroubledness, and tranquility are acceptable translations. I see this concept as tightly linked to the Stoic idea that eudaimonia is a "smooth flow of life". Ataraxia is a consequence and and expression of such a life.

Phronesis (φρόνησις)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phronesis

Prudence, practical wisdom, and practical intelligence are the translations I've seen. Phronesis is not mere cleverness in attaining personal goals, but the ability to weigh the goals themselves for their desirability and goodness.

I see the pursuit of wisdom about life as an important aspect of a spiritual path, which is why I've included this word on my list.

eudaimonia,

Mark
Old 18-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Prokopton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker108
What is in the words? I can also write some words but ultimate reality does not know any language.

Well human beings like to talk, including about ultimate reality. A well-used example, but Lao-tzu begins by saying more or less what you are saying, and then goes on to write 80 more chapters.

No language could ever be more than a fragmented reflection of any higher reality, but in talking and thinking about such questions (and other related ones such as the psychology and ethics of attaining to such 'ultimate' realities), human beings often make their best contributions to culture, and in forms that can bring insight about non-physical reality to those who think about them.

Mark did the expected stirling job on the Greek philosophic definitions! I wouldn't add anything... I think some of the usefulness of those words comes precisely from the amount of excellent thinking that has been done on them, it makes them very rich, which in itself is a partial answer to Thinker108's idea. It is like a nice rich soil -- is it the Ultimate? No, but it's a rather good thing nonetheless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eudaimonist
Peace of mind, untroubledness, and tranquility are acceptable translations. I see this concept as tightly linked to the Stoic idea that eudaimonia is a "smooth flow of life". Ataraxia is a consequence and and expression of such a life.

Indeed. I like the way you've linked several of these concepts to more modern ones too -- "flow" etc. With the 'smooth flow of life', of course the other half of that tends to be 'in harmony with Nature', a formula that is very compatible with Taoist thought as well I think.

Another great Stoic word associated with that state is eutonia, which has very good ramifications for those of us who work with what they called pneuma, and we call 'energy', 'chi', etc.

BTW how did you get the Greek letters Mark? I was thinking I'd like to do that...
Old 18-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Sentientno1

Thinker...

"What is in the words? I can also write some words but ultimate reality does not know any language. Believe me, it is my true belief."

i agree, but to say anything about it is descriptive, "ultimate reality does not know any language" So, we are either silent on the subject or try to use figuratives, or another way: negatives. If you recall any of the older zen stories many of the students questions were answered by silence from the teacher. The silence was the teachers answer. However it would be meaningless on a forum. So you do the best you can do....
Old 18-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Master
I find myself using the word "connectedness" alot lately. lol. I don't even know if it's truly a word, but it seemed to go with what I was writing. To me it means to be connected with my inner being.

That is my spiritual word

zipzip
Old 18-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Eudaimonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prokopton
With the 'smooth flow of life', of course the other half of that tends to be 'in harmony with Nature', a formula that is very compatible with Taoist thought as well I think.

Agreed, and I'd noticed the same thing.

Quote:
BTW how did you get the Greek letters Mark? I was thinking I'd like to do that...

I had copied and pasted those from the Wikipedia entries.

eudaimonia,

Mark
Old 18-06-2011, 06:45 PM
nightowl

In reading the responses so far and the words you all have shared they all speak to my spirit. After rereading the words I have shared I realize it really isn’t a complete list. I have used the words I have listed many times and still do, but I also know that I have a much larger spiritual vocabulary then what is contained in that list.

I had to chuckle to myself when I read Eudaimonist’s use of the word eudaimonia. You see I have a tattoo that is in Gaelic, the word actually means rhythm of life or the flow of life. This coincidence of meanings helps to support why I started this thread. There is a commonality among those on the spirituality way regardless of the different words they use to express their beliefs. Even the words that have been shared that are tied to philosophical thinking to me are part of how I work out my spiritual path. Ataraxia and Phronesis both are elements that I seek and incorporate into my journey. All these speak to my place of prokopton.

Zipzip,

... connectedness, yep me too, my latest most used terms are connected and personal circuit. I suppose they speak to my better understanding of energy/God.

Sentientno1,

I am not a big debater when it comes to speaking on or trying to explain reality, as to I am not set in what I think of it. I do understand the important lessons that can be found in silence. I have also experienced the confusion that can come from it as well. I suppose its benefits are based upon in which situation or circumstance it should or should not be used, which speaks to the insight and wisdom of the one using silence as an answer or lesson. Interesting point thanks for sharing it.

nightowl
Old 18-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Sentientno1

nightowl, nice insight on trying to fit the words or silence to the circumstances.

Thanks for an interesting thread.
Old 19-06-2011, 12:45 PM
moke64916

I speak Universally, and non-universally. It all depends. But that's also the beauty of it.