Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 11-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Rich1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingAloud
Hi Rich.

Yes, you are absolutely right! apparently, if the spirit people think you'll be scared, they wont show themselves.

I don't know if you've heard of medium Mia Dolan? Anyway, I read her book and in it she describes how she asked her spirit guide to show himself.

He told her she wasn't ready but she insisted she was. So, after seeing him forming in the doorway and eventually showing himself in full, she ran out of the house to her Mum's out of fear!

We do sometimes think we're ready but deep down would be pretty terrified if a spirit appeared.

Maybe ask for smaller signs. Just ask your Dad to give you a sign he's around. Something may happen, not immediately, but at some stage.

It may be that you'll get a whiff of his favourite aftershave. You may even see small lights.

All the best.

Hey thanks for the advice guy , I will keep it in mind
Old 11-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1987
I know some people can see/hear spirits , but why can't some of us who really want to not see them?, my dad passed over 2 year ago and from time to time I sence he is near by - would be nice if I seen him even if it was for few seconds.
But I also hear spirits won't come near you if they know you would be scare 'ect'

What d'ya think?

Rich,

You're not entirely blind/deaf to Spirit. If you can sense your father I would think you have something there that says you are psychic somewhere along the line. If you weren't you wouldn't be able to sense him. You're clairesentient, perhaps? That means sensing. Most people look everywhere else for their answers except in the place where I believe we get the best ones from - inside ourselves. I would think there's still a strong connection with your dad, if not you wouldn't feel him around you. Start from there.

I'd go along with what Jules has said, perhaps going to a Spiritualist church or development classes might give you a better understanding or be with people who can help him come through. But remember that yes, you can try too hard or want it too much. The other thing I would say is that you hold him in your Heart, so isn't that a good place to start? I'm not saying you should build an alter to him or anything, but even if you light a single tealight candle for him and sit down, sometime when it's quiet. Just sit there and let it all go, remember the good times and see what happens from there. It might be worth talking to him if you can risk being called a nutter lol. He'll hear your voice.
Old 16-10-2010, 12:04 PM
SandybytheSea

Rich, are you aware that you do see your Dad often, in your dreams? I'm sure you've had many dreams about him, and you've shrugged them off as "just being dreams", but when we sleep we are totally in our right brain. The brain has 2 hemispheres, and the left one is our survival brain so it needs to be dominant during waking hours. The right hemisphere is our intuitive, even psychic brain, so it takes over when we sleep, and that makes it so much easier for our loved ones to appear to us and converse with us.

While we all have psychic or clairvoyant abilities, we don't all know how to access our right hemisphere. It's also our creative hemisphere, so often very creative people have psychic experiences, as do those who meditate regularly.

Be happy that your Dad is healthy and happy where he is, and that he visits you regularly. You only have to think of him and he is at your side, so seeing him in waking life isn't so important. You know he's there by the scents and other little things he does from time to time that you don't always place too much importance on - the flicker of the tv, his favourite song on the radio when you turn it on, things like that.

Our loved ones always stay close, they never leave us because they love us and want to watch over us. Seeing him as he was while here is really not so important other than to convince you that he is ok, but there is an expression we all need to remember :

It's not that you'll believe it when you see it ....
it's more that you'll see it when you believe it.

The spirit world doesn't give us proof, it encourages us to have faith. If they provided proof it would go against free will, because then we would have no choice but to believe. When we have sufficient faith that life does go on, then proof can be provided because it cannot alter our belief system. That's why sceptics will always be sceptics and will never have experiences to convince them, because they have free will to believe as they do and that must not be interferred with.
Old 16-10-2010, 02:36 PM
LightFilledHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandybytheSea
It's not that you'll believe it when you see it ....
it's more that you'll see it when you believe it.

The spirit world doesn't give us proof, it encourages us to have faith. If they provided proof it would go against free will, because then we would have no choice but to believe. When we have sufficient faith that life does go on, then proof can be provided because it cannot alter our belief system. That's why sceptics will always be sceptics and will never have experiences to convince them, because they have free will to believe as they do and that must not be interferred with.

That statement "It's not that you'll believe it when you see it, it's more you'll see it when you believe it" has always bothered me as being just too pat an answer. Faith is indeed a powerful tool, but people had faith that the earth was flat too, accepting the belief of the time and never having experienced (or witnessed!) falling off the edges (!), and they were wrong. Faith can be a wonderful thing...it can also lead one down a purely fictional, fantasy path.

In my case it's not so much that I'm a skeptic, for I am not. But I also don't want to fool myself into accepting a belief merely because it "feels good" and comforts me. I am a true seeker in that regard...I want to KNOW! The fact of the matter is that whatever individual beliefs different ones of us may hold, they are exactly that...beliefs. No one has the market cornered on ultimate truth, and until such time as we experience something for ourselves, any ideas we might have about the way things are are pure speculation. Calling lack of "proof" free will is a bit of a circuitous argument. Naturally I want to believe in an afterlife in the spirit realms... we ALL do! I would say I am even inclined towards and leaning that way BUT... I don't KNOW of a certainty, and neither does anyone else still living.

Last edited by LightFilledHeart : 16-10-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 16-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightFilledHeart
BUT... I don't KNOW of a certainty, and neither does anyone else still living.

To some of us, Past Lives are much more than a belief - they're a memory. When I talk about Past Lives I talk about what I can remember from them, and I've spoken to people whose recall means they can only have been there. Call it mass psychosis if you like, but when people can tell you exactly what you have in your head about a Past Life before you even mention it - that's proof enough for me. Maybe I can't tell the difference between fantasy and memory, but if that's the case then neither can a lot of the people I've talked to. There are also people on these boards that share those same memories.
Old 16-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Rumar

There are also beings out there who are unable to present themselves, usually you'll hear them "when you're almost asleep" because of the state of mind you're in and just about astral projecting, by APing you can not only hear them but also see them.Some beings from past lives are known to hunt you down and hang out with you as well, my best friend in GA is actually one of the missionary troops back when I was a CDR missionary back in my Greek life. My name was Datleco then and if you google that name, you'll find an old archived article with his name in it (probably stating all of the military members).I learned something from him when he was doing some deep meditation, he then told me something that was long forgotten (or at least staying in the past life's memories) where the ship was jumped, we lost two comrads in the initial attack. Our ship long lost, we had to go and get help from a nearby town to get us home.Another past life twin brother AND younger sister are both in the same military branch as me, one worked in the building next to mine while the other on a ship on a separate base but we would hang out almost every day. I have more family members in the military as well from past lives but will need to get into that at another time.
Old 16-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Master
Usually I see spirits and such when I am not even trying. I find that if I try I won't see or feel them, if I don't try then it naturally occurs.
Spiritlite
Old 17-10-2010, 12:12 PM
SandybytheSea

LightFilledHeart
Don't get me wrong, knowledge is a powerful thing and something I have put a lot of effort into gaining for more years than I care to reveal!
And yes, I agree with you that we can have faith in things that are not true, simply because we have been programmed to have such faith. History is full of examples, as is the present. TV commercials are sufficient to convince us of that! Blind faith is a very dangerous thing.
But I also recognise that we have free will (well, to a certain extent, perhaps that is even open to debate, but not on this thread, lol) and those on the other side do not have the right to deny us that.
For example, someone does not believe in the existence of life on other planets. They rage against what they call ignorance of the masses who believe such nonsense, and then a ufo lands in their back yard and an et walked up to the door and says "hey, got the jug on, I could do with a coffee!" What is this sceptic to do now, stick to his belief that et doesn't exist, or be FORCED into acknowledging that it does? His free will to believe or not believe has been violated.
That's not to say that sceptics don't change their minds sometimes when something occurs that makes them re-think, but for that to happen, there must have been a shadow of doubt to begin with, and the process of changing their mind might be painful and lengthy, but they come to it in their own time and own way and not because the opposite belief was forced upon them.
Old 20-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Greenslade

We're living in the Allegory of Plato's Cave. Basically, what happens in Plato's Cave is that prisoners are shackled so they can only see in front of them. Behind them is a platform with a fire, in front of which their captors parade items whose shadows fall on the wall in front of the prisoners. The prisoners see only the shadows, never the item itself. If the captors put a chair in front of the fire, the prisoners see only the shadow of the chair and never the chair itself.

As humans will will never see the true form of anything - if indeed it has any kind of true form. What colour is a thought? How wide/deep/long is consciousness? As humans all we can do is do the best we can with what we've got. If we believe in something because we think we should we do ourselves a disservice, while we may only see the shadow of the chair there's no reason why we can't at least try and turn our heads so we can see a little more - or believe that shadow had to be cast by something.

Everything we believe in is based on belief, there are few facts in Spirituality. The only 'real' proof we're going to get is what we believe is the proof - never hard evidence that would stand up in court.
Old 20-10-2010, 11:55 AM
SandybytheSea

Well said, Greenslade
I heard something today that deserves to be repeated ....
Science is now beginning to understand that if the electromagnetic spectrum - which allows us to see what we see - was 2,000 miles long, we are seeing about 6 inches of it!!!!!
And many people think that if science hasn't proven it, it doesn't exist? Ha! We have sooooo much to learn about our so-called reality!