Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Healing

Old 05-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Master
The Problem of Human Suffering.

Discussion:

What causes suffering?

Can we fix it?

How?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:28 AM
supernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Discussion:

What causes suffering?

Can we fix it?

How?

This is a wonderful question. We must agree that we all are suffering in this world. Humans are suffering no matter what height they have scaled materialistically. Today we have been able to control forces of nature. Our limits or our scopes have widened astronomically. We have outreached our predecessors in material progress. We have fathomed the depth of the sky and the sea and pioneered great scientific discoveries and geographical explorations. Yet we are the most miserable creatures on earth and we are losing everything, speaking spiritually though we have marveled at inventing new ideas and technologies to make our lives extraordinarily comfortable. We have prolonged our lifespan yet why we are suffering? Why the void within us is getting bigger and bigger? The answer lies in the fact that we are too much comforts driven and hounding something to satisfy our materialist ends

Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 AM
tragblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Discussion:

What causes suffering?

Can we fix it?

How?

In order to fix what causes suffering, one must observe him/herself, his/her life, all actions he/she commits, and all results of the actions he/she commits, whether physical or emotional. When one observes an action or thought that causes suffering, one can avoid that action or thought in the future.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Ascender

The cause of human suffering is.... humans.

Yes we can fix it if we're willing to adjust ourselves to live in harmony with nature and the laws of the universe.

The main hindrance is human ego.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:55 AM
supernova

No one has written on human suffering than Gautama Buddha. His entire teaching is to salvage human beings. His prescription that helps us to do away with suffering is to tone down our desires. Our desires are our enemies. While we cannot completely get over our desires, we can kind of moderate them. That sis why his recommendation is the Middle Path.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Time

Our own ignorance, and how we think of the "now" only, not thinking of the future and learing from the past..
Old 05-06-2011, 10:52 AM
supernova

Live in the now and in the here. You have to shred your past and forget your future. People are sad because they have their memories of the past and they must learn to do away with their past since the past is gone and inessential and nonexistent except in our memories. We are unsure about our future and we do not know we can visit our future or not. We must make the most of what we have now, of this moment and the opportunities in store for us in the now.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Porcelain

I agree, our own ignorance. and inflicting pain on others due to our own pursuit for happiness and satisfaction.

Quoted from the Dalai Lama:
"I believe all suffering is caused by ignorance. People inflict pain on others in the selfish pursuit of their happiness or satisfaction. Yet true happiness comes from a sense of peace and contentment, which in turn must be achieved through the cultivation of altruism, of love and compassion, and elimination of ignorance, selfishness, and greed."
Old 05-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Master
Gem i think (fabricated) fear is the primary cause of suffering both directly and indirectly ... I feel that it/suffering can be lessened through letting go of fear-based beliefs ...
Old 05-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Time

Supernova - "Live in the now and in the here. You have to shred your past and forget your future. People are sad because they have their memories of the past and they must learn to do away with their past since the past is gone and inessential and nonexistent except in our memories. We are unsure about our future and we do not know we can visit our future or not. We must make the most of what we have now, of this moment and the opportunities in store for us in the now."

Way to play the opposite game there LOL ( from my post above)

I cant argue with how powerful the "now" is, but as I stated, focusing ONLY in the now is where most of our problems are. We need food NOW ( so we tear down whole ecosystems for food) how is that beneficial to our kids?

Things like that are what make me thing twice about ONLY thinking in the now.

But I do agree with you to some extent, its about the now, which is ultimatly the future.

But really, in the end, the problem with human suffering, is humans. ITs our fault, and since we are all part of humanity, and the planet, each and every one of us is guilty of it